Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Edge softness of Theta V - normal?

I got myself a Theta V and I am quite satisfied with its overall possibilities and features - but I'm also, as I'm new to this type of camera, a bit anxious about getting a "normal" specimen of that most interesting camera. Major gripe is that the image quality deteriorates massively at the edges of the camera, even with the newest firmware 1.10.1 dating from Oct. 24th installed. I'm okay with that performance if that is to be expected - and if I read the in-depth review of the Theta S on this site I reckon it really could be so ...

So here's the the complete spherical pic that is my reference:
Ricoh Theta 360 Image

And here the region of it that bothers me:

Of course there's an equally soft region 180 degrees on the other side, but I guess needn't show it here.

So all I want to know is: Is this performance normal? I can live with it and position the camera accordingly - but if it's not normal I'll return the copy I have to get a better one.

Thanks very much on every input on this!

Phil

11-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #2

Original Poster
I did some thorough testing and found out that the problem manifests itself only in one region of the stitched seam. On the other side - 180 degrees around, so to speak - the seam doesn't show an unsharpness that pronounced.

In live spherical view the problem is also clearly visible, and only at one side of the seam. Reason is quite obviously a misaligned lens on one side of the camera. I'll get another copy next week and hopefully with this one the lenses are both aligned as they should.
11-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, it definitely shouldn't be this way. Not sure if it's still a software issue or a physical misalignment, but more likely the latter so hopefully the second body fixes this. Let us know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
An update: I now know what the "V" in Theta V stands for: I had to go through four physically misaligned copies of the Theta V, and only the fifth one finally was acceptable. Couldn't believe it (neither could Amazon, but that's a different story). Interestingly enough I got the fifth copy from a different seller, and it had a significantly higher ID code. I do guess that Ricoh might have had some manufacturing problems with the first batch of V's.

The four first copies either had really much too soft seams on one side (and quite acceptable ones on the opposing side) or one completely misaligned lens (and thus were unable to get acceptable infinity focus with that lens) - or both phenomena combined.

My last copy really was also my last shot - I would've given up on the V if it also had failed. But luckily enough it didn't! So I'm finally beginning to enjoy that really amazing cam. :-)

01-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philzucker Quote
An update: I now know what the "V" in Theta V stands for: I had to go through four physically misaligned copies of the Theta V, and only the fifth one finally was acceptable. Couldn't believe it (neither could Amazon, but that's a different story). Interestingly enough I got the fifth copy from a different seller, and it had a significantly higher ID code. I do guess that Ricoh might have had some manufacturing problems with the first batch of V's.

The four first copies either had really much too soft seams on one side (and quite acceptable ones on the opposing side) or one completely misaligned lens (and thus were unable to get acceptable infinity focus with that lens) - or both phenomena combined.

My last copy really was also my last shot - I would've given up on the V if it also had failed. But luckily enough it didn't! So I'm finally beginning to enjoy that really amazing cam. :-)
I wonder if you would please update the thread with additional usage notes, please? I am strongly considering purchasing one of these in the next several weeks. I'd like to know what serial # your last V is, also.