Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bluetooth found

Theta V connect with WiFi just fine but when I try to run the Android Theta app the app just keeps searching. the phone bluetooth app does not detect the theta. The phone bluetooth is very stable. I have it connected to several cameras and watches without difficulty. has anyone else had this problem? I keep expecting it to be something I have missed but I have run out of ideas. I have tried running both the Theta app and the Theta S app without results. the wifi connection shows but no bluetooth. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Mikesul; 01-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.
12-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there any chance that bluetooth is turned off on the Theta?

Is there any chance that your Theta has already been paired with some other device?
12-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Is there any chance that bluetooth is turned off on the Theta?

Is there any chance that your Theta has already been paired with some other device?
I suspect the second option you propose may be true. I have followed the instructions to reset but that did not fix it. Any idea how it could be unpaired without connection? I thought the reset operaation would do that but it didn't.
12-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have a Theta. Is there anything in the manual about putting the Theta in pairing mode? Some devices require a magic button dance (e.g., hold-a-button-2-seconds-then-double-click) to get them ready to pair.

12-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The procedure is to first connect to wifi and then to connect to the Theta bluetooth with the phone bluetooth utility. That would normally show the Theta as an available device but all it shows is several UI MAC addresses none of which will pair. The Theta apps just go to the phone wifi connection page when you try to connect. There is a wifi connection but on its own it does nothing. There is a UI
01-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update

The problem may not be with the Theta. It may be something with the phone or Android version. I had no trouble connecting to an old Dell Android tablet. I will test with my wife's phone.
01-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
False alarm!

I tried the Theta with my wife's phone and it connected without issue. I then tried again with my phone but left Bluetooth off on the phone until i had the wife connection. it hooked up as expected and works fine. Sorry for the unnecessary "problem" report. It was good for Ricoh, however, because I ordered another one from B&H in case I could not get the first to work. I had planned to return one of them when I had one working but I think I will keep both for now.