Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stripes on Theta images

Recently I have been trying to take some images of a model diorama with my Theta S.
All those I took exhibited striping as shown in an extract from an un-360'd image.
It seemed to be related to the overhead lighting as it disappeared when those lights were turned off.
The problem is that these lights are the primary illumination for the model and it's just too dark without them for any pictures.
Has anybody else come across this problem - and cured it?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH THETA S  Photo 
01-19-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is a classic example of the interaction between high-frequency lighting sources (fluorescent, CFL, LED, and others) and the electronic shutter of many types of digital cameras.

In this case, the Theta's fish-eye lens and de-fishing software distorts what would typically be parallel bands of color into warped ones.

The solutions are:

1) lengthen the shutter speed (if you have manual control of it) or

2) replace the lighting (incandescent bulbs are best but sometimes a different brand of CFL or LED bulb might be fine).

3) stack multiple images

Good luck!
01-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sadly I think options 1 and 2 are not possible because the Theta is point'n'shoot and the lighting is part of the building and not likely to change.
I already set the Theta to the lowest possible ISO to lengthen the shutter speed as much as possible with no change to the stripes.
Equally a ND filter isn't an option!
I haven't tried stacking so that may be possible.
We may be able to switch off the installed lights and use other sources but that will be tricky in terms of keeping them out of sight.