Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sample Theta v file download?

I would like to play around with Theta V video and photo file - without processed to play around with the desktop app and android app, and look at the quality.

I can't seem find them anywhere?

03-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll post a video for you later today. Photos will follow shortly in our in-depth review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll post a video for you later today. Photos will follow shortly in our in-depth review.
Oh! Glad to see this is coming. BTW, have you heard anything about that proposed app that would enable coupling the Theta with a Pentax dslr such that hi-rez stills could be embedded in the Theta video? There was actually a demo of it somewhere.....
03-11-2018, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Oh! Glad to see this is coming. BTW, have you heard anything about that proposed app that would enable coupling the Theta with a Pentax dslr such that hi-rez stills could be embedded in the Theta video? There was actually a demo of it somewhere.....
I think this was just a show demo, but who knows, maybe it'll be a thing some day.

Anyway, here's the video @LFLee

R0010018.MP4 - Google Drive

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think this was just a show demo, but who knows, maybe it'll be a thing some day.

Anyway, here's the video @LFLee

R0010018.MP4 - Google Drive
Very much appreciated Adam! I ordered one when ebay have a 20% off site wide last week.

would be great if PF made theta of samples files available for people to play around.

I really think the Theta line (along with Ricoh GR, Pentax 645 line) is one of the more competitive product in the Ricoh/Pentax company - really should put more effort into it and dominate this segment! Action cameras market is saturated, but 360 action cam still have room to grow. Make raw file available via firmware upgrade, and in the next generation:
1. Increase picture MP;
2. make it water-proof to 30m without casing;
3. allow adding micro-SD card;
4. 4K 120p (4K in 360 is smaller than non-360).

The open SDK is a really nice direction! I am glad Ricoh see this as the future to go - if they open up SDK for other cameras, will really open up many possibilities (see Canon's unofficial magic lantern).
03-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Followed the link back from the youtube,... downloaded, plays in VLC, looks at resolution,... " 3840x1920 "

So that's not actually either form of '4K' ( UHD = 3840x2160, & DCI = 4096x2160 ), it's more about 3.8K, two square 1920x1920 images stitched side to side with a whole heap of pixels lost in the un-used section of the stored format.

Taking a snapshot in VLC and pulling that in to Ifranview, then drawing a frame matching a paused image on the youtube playback (at 55 second mark) tells me that a 16:9 (1.77:1 ratio) frame area displayed is around 1140x640 pixels.

Quicktimes Movie Inspector reports a Data Rate of 56mBits,.... Which is EXACTLY where the K-1, K-3 etc should have their HD, so Ricoh/Pentax can do a high enough data rate from their chosen SD Card Controllers, and choose not to in their Professional Grade equipment,....

Data rate for 4K should be 200mBits.

To be honest, I don't think 360deg video is close to mature in this format - when a camera of this design is capable of recording 1080p in the area of the image that matches a standard action camera's 16:9 view angle, then it's use in film and television production will be come invaluable - Think about how easy it will become to do film scenes lit the same way as the House on the Pole in 'Oblivion', where pre-recorded footage was used to light the interior of the studio via massive projectors, or do greenscreen background plates for driving footage.

The Theta has a lot of potential for that use, but not yet.

As it stands, the displayed area within the recording, that matches the view angle of regular action camera, at 1140x640, is too low a resolution to be usable for anything other then tourist videos for now, although sports TV may get away with it for downhill mountain bike racing, or if the cameras HDMI works properly, it may be very useful for FPV tranmission back from racing drones and long-range wings.

The high point has to be the Pentax Colour Science - the graduation from the over exposed Sun down to the the black rubber around the cars sunroof, or the shading in the building sides, is startling.
The only area where a gain could be made here, is in close matching of exposure between the two sensors - when the sun is in both, they match, but in one alone, and there is a step in exposure between the sensors.

It's good to see the company pushing the boundaries, I'd expect the next generation of these cameras to become useful to professionals, while this product cycle opens up the market for consumers.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-13-2018 at 05:59 AM.
03-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Followed the link back from the youtube,... downloaded, plays in VLC, looks at resolution,... " 3840x1920 "

So that's not actually either form of '4K' ( UHD = 3840x2160, & DCI = 4096x2160 ), it's more about 3.8K, two square 1920x1920 images stitched side to side with a whole heap of pixels lost in the un-used section of the stored format.

Taking a snapshot in VLC and pulling that in to Ifranview, then drawing a frame matching a paused image on the youtube playback (at 55 second mark) tells me that a 16:9 (1.77:1 ratio) frame area displayed is around 1140x640 pixels.

Quicktimes Movie Inspector reports a Data Rate of 56mBits,.... Which is EXACTLY where the K-1, K-3 etc should have their HD, so Ricoh/Pentax can do a high enough data rate from their chosen SD Card Controllers, and choose not to in their Professional Grade equipment,....

Data rate for 4K should be 200mBits.

To be honest, I don't think 360deg video is close to mature in this format - when a camera of this design is capable of recording 1080p in the area of the image that matches a standard action camera's 16:9 view angle, then it's use in film and television production will be come invaluable - Think about how easy it will become to do film scenes lit the same way as the House on the Pole in 'Oblivion', where pre-recorded footage was used to light the interior of the studio via massive projectors, or do greenscreen background plates for driving footage.

The Theta has a lot of potential for that use, but not yet.

As it stands, the displayed area within the recording, that matches the view angle of regular action camera, at 1140x640, is too low a resolution to be usable for anything other then tourist videos for now, although sports TV may get away with it for downhill mountain bike racing, or if the cameras HDMI works properly, it may be very useful for FPV tranmission back from racing drones and long-range wings.

The high point has to be the Pentax Colour Science - the graduation from the over exposed Sun down to the the black rubber around the cars sunroof, or the shading in the building sides, is startling.
The only area where a gain could be made here, is in close matching of exposure between the two sensors - when the sun is in both, they match, but in one alone, and there is a step in exposure between the sensors.

It's good to see the company pushing the boundaries, I'd expect the next generation of these cameras to become useful to professionals, while this product cycle opens up the market for consumers.
I think you're aproaching this from the wrong angle. The "big deal" with the Theta V's 4K is that it takes the video feature from previous models and improves on it to the point that it's more than just cool to look at. You can actually make out distant objects while interacting with the video as you would a photo. Because the raw spherical images don't use the entire pixel area in the rectangular file format, there's indeed a lot less than 4K resolution in any given area. But all this happens in a tiny camera with the same friendly UI as before - hard to say no!

I also think the Thetas are first and foremost meant to be consumer products. There's a spherical niche among pros, and there are other (more expensive) solutions out there for those who need even higher specs.

Adam

03-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I stand by my comments - it's fine for consumer use, but not ready for Pro use to the same level as the K-1 is.

It'd do well for action sports, and would be interesting to use for FPV on RC Aircraft.

And it also shows that Ricoh hardware is capable of the data rates required for high-quality HD Video - the Theta's data rate is exactly the performance level the K-3, K-70, KP and K-1 should have already.

And it shows they can already do 4K, so the reasons given for not doing it in the DLSR's, are more about appeasing the video-haters, rather then what the technology is capable of doing.

If Pentax drops the marketplace thinking for the previous decade and catches up to where the competitors are gone, such as switching back on some of the technology they previously led with in DSLR's, just as they appear to lead with the Theta for consumers, then the better for everyone, as more competitive and current featured products at the traditional Pentax high value price levels, will drive forward sales.

And the more bodies they sell, the more fiances they will have for more lenses.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-13-2018 at 05:33 PM.