Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Theta V Bluetooth + selfie stick blue tooth button

Got my Theta V along with the Theta V selfie stick that comes with a remote button (a very happy surprise!).

However, have trouble getting my phone (Pixel 2 XL) to pair with the Theta V via Bluetooth.

1. Turn on wifi, turn on Theta V bluetooth, Theta V didn't show up in my phone.
2. Turn on wifi, turn on Theta V bluetooth, turn off wifi, the device show up as it's serial number, tried to connect, failed.

I have tried restart my phone, repeat the process, restart Theta V, to no available (have the latest firmware).

I was able to pair with the Selfie stick remote button via bluetooth, connect phone to the Theta V via wifi, press remote shutter, nothing happen. lol

There is no documentation on how to connect the bluetooth remote shutter button at all.
(and can't find the selfie stick info on Ricoh Web, except it say on the Theta V page, use xxxx coupon to get free selfie stick with Theta V order).

Any help?

(oh man... I thought Theta V is like the 3rd generation product and should be very mature and easy to use, but boy! )

03-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure if bluetooth pairing is yet supported in the app. You should, however, be able to connect to the theta via wi-fi. Also, I'm not sure if it's been implemented yet, but the V is also supposed to be able to use infrastructure mode rather than direct connections, so that you don't have to be offline.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure if bluetooth pairing is yet supported in the app. You should, however, be able to connect to the theta via wi-fi. Also, I'm not sure if it's been implemented yet, but the V is also supposed to be able to use infrastructure mode rather than direct connections, so that you don't have to be offline.
Thanks Adam!

The Bluetooth can't pair with my phone, but somehow after turning off the wifi on the Theta v (wifi button), the app shows it is connected via Bluetooth and I can click shutter on my phone to trigger shutter on the Theta, even though it never pair with my phone. Weird. But this is not very useful, as I will have to turn on the camera - turn off wifi to use this. I manage to connect the camera with the LAN configuration. But the connection is not stable, as the app crash after few minutes. So now the only reliable connection is via wifi.

I haven't figure out how to connect the #thetav selfie stick button, this thing sold for $49 (adorama, newegg, BHphotos) and yet there is no documentation. lol

Which App do you use to connect to Theta V, if I may ask? I download the "Ricoh Theta" App, it can't find the camera even though I am connect to it via wifi.
Only using the "Ricoh Theta S" app, I am able to connect to it . Again, weird.

Ricoh really need to step up, this doesn't look like a complete product.
03-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks Adam!

The Bluetooth can't pair with my phone, but somehow after turning off the wifi on the Theta v (wifi button), the app shows it is connected via Bluetooth and I can click shutter on my phone to trigger shutter on the Theta, even though it never pair with my phone. Weird. But this is not very useful, as I will have to turn on the camera - turn off wifi to use this. I manage to connect the camera with the LAN configuration. But the connection is not stable, as the app crash after few minutes. So now the only reliable connection is via wifi.

I haven't figure out how to connect the #thetav selfie stick button, this thing sold for $49 (adorama, newegg, BHphotos) and yet there is no documentation. lol

Which App do you use to connect to Theta V, if I may ask? I download the "Ricoh Theta" App, it can't find the camera even though I am connect to it via wifi.
Only using the "Ricoh Theta S" app, I am able to connect to it . Again, weird.

Ricoh really need to step up, this doesn't look like a complete product.
Yes, you need to use "Theta S". The other app is for the first gen models.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, you need to use "Theta S". The other app is for the first gen models.
I emailed Ricoh support regarding the Theta V selfie stick, that cost $49.95 (Ricoh THETA V Selfie Stick 95490 B&H Photo Video), how to connect to the bluetooth remote button.

A day later a guy name Bruce (if I remember correctly) call me from Tucker, GA (phone number: 770-493-2100), said the bluetooth remote button is NOT WORKING. what? Ricoh is selling something for $49.95 for something they know is not working?

He said the engineers told him that the feature is there "for future", and yes, there is no user manual at all for this selfie stick. I can't believe this is their response. At least put this in the product description? something like "bluetooth remote button reserved for future development". My goodness... it is third generations product and can't believe this happen.
03-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I emailed Ricoh support regarding the Theta V selfie stick, that cost $49.95 (Ricoh THETA V Selfie Stick 95490 B&H Photo Video), how to connect to the bluetooth remote button.

A day later a guy name Bruce (if I remember correctly) call me from Tucker, GA (phone number: 770-493-2100), said the bluetooth remote button is NOT WORKING. what? Ricoh is selling something for $49.95 for something they know is not working?

He said the engineers told him that the feature is there "for future", and yes, there is no user manual at all for this selfie stick. I can't believe this is their response. At least put this in the product description? something like "bluetooth remote button reserved for future development". My goodness... it is third generations product and can't believe this happen.
That's pretty scary. Let's hope this is part of the feature roadmap rather than being left out entirely.

Adam

01-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a selfie stick with a remote release that does work with the Theta cameras? Trying to juggle the selfie stick and hitting a shutter release on a phone is a bit much.
01-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Is there a selfie stick with a remote release that does work with the Theta cameras? Trying to juggle the selfie stick and hitting a shutter release on a phone is a bit much.
Yes:
Ricoh THETA V Selfie Stick 95490 B&H Photo Video

Adam

01-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #9

Rob,

Have a look at:
Using Sony MESH IoT Plug-in with RICOH THETA V - plugin - THETA 360 Developer

I use a mesh switch to connect to my phone via Bluetooth which then triggers the normal theta software which in turn is connected to my camera via WIFI (SC with no Bluetooth) This way the phone stays in my pocket and there is only a small switch that I keep in my hand. See:
Remote-Controlled 360-Degree RICOH THETA Camera With MESH Blocks: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

Brian
01-10-2019, 03:53 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Adam! Interesting that it uses Bluetooth. I haven't had any success pairing the Theta V with the phone by Bluetooth. I have ordered another selfie stick which has a bluetooth trigger, so fingers crossed that it may work. If not, I can always consider importing the one you linked.

---------- Post added 10-01-19 at 09:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by smib Quote
I use a mesh switch to connect to my phone via Bluetooth which then triggers the normal theta software which in turn is connected to my camera via WIFI (SC with no Bluetooth) This way the phone stays in my pocket and there is only a small switch that I keep in my hand. See:
Remote-Controlled 360-Degree RICOH THETA Camera With MESH Blocks: 9 Steps (with Pictures)
Thanks Brian! I'll check it out.
01-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam! Interesting that it uses Bluetooth. I haven't had any success pairing the Theta V with the phone by Bluetooth. I have ordered another selfie stick which has a bluetooth trigger, so fingers crossed that it may work. If not, I can always consider importing the one you linked.

---------- Post added 10-01-19 at 09:54 PM ----------

Thanks Brian! I'll check it out.
Are you running the latest firmware? They patched up the bluetooth functionality shortly after launch, so hopefully it will also work for you going forward.

Adam

01-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you running the latest firmware? They patched up the bluetooth functionality shortly after launch, so hopefully it will also work for you going forward.
Hi Adam, yes I updated it and that broke the Wifi because the Theta wanted to connect to a router instead of point-to-point, but I fixed it. I am pretty sure I tried the bluetooth again after the update and I still couldn't pair the Theta to the phone. I have a feeling that I should hit a button on the Theta to make the pairing work, but the instructions don't mention it.
01-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried the selfie stick I bought, and I was able to get it to work by pairing the selfie stick to the phone and running the Theta app on the phone. Pressing the shutter release on the selfie stick then triggers the app which triggers the Theta V.

What I don't understand is:
1. Why can't I pair the Theta V to the phone with Bluetooth? None of the "instructions" I can find describe how to pair the Theta V to anything else. I have enabled Bluetooth on the Theta V using Wifi, but the phone only gets the MAC address of the Theta, never its name - so the connection isn't working.
2. Why can't I pair the Theta V directly to the selfie stick? Again, there's no instructions on how this might be done - perhaps using wifi or USB to control the Theta?

At this point the Bluetooth capability of the Theta seems to be useless because there's no clear method of pairing.