Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #1

Theta SC settings for 360° photos/videos

Hello all,

I just bought a Theta SC and after fiddling around just a bit (after dinner, in dark living room, while reading instructions and watching tv...), trying all kinds of settings, I have not yet figured out what would be a good setup to choose from, in terms of ISO priority, HDR, auto or manual. As per my K-5ii settings, I’m used to shoot in M mode. Not so with the Theta...

I also found out that settings “saved in Theta” when using Theta alone may not be the same as when using Theta coupled with iPhone.

As the vacations are coming around and the fine tuning time is reducing quickly, I’m hoping to get a little help from you guys.

Vacation planned shots would be “still pictures” of venues and very “small video” (30 sec to 1 min) of walking around.

No worries, as full camera bag will also be part of the vacation... i will have plenty of other options, but would like to bring nice memories in 360° format too.

I hope I gave you enough info to figure what i want to bring back.
Thanks in advance for your welcomed help!

11-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've found auto mode to work just fine. The camera struggles when it's too dark, though, and you also want to make sure that the exposure on both sides of the lens is roughly the same. Otherwise, half of your photo may look noticeably different than the rest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam,

Now, I need to double check what you mentioned about “same exposure on both side” to be the same.
I have not noticed anything regarding this “feature”...

Using auto mode should do the job then.
11-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
Thanks Adam,

Now, I need to double check what you mentioned about “same exposure on both side” to be the same.
I have not noticed anything regarding this “feature”...

Using auto mode should do the job then.
It's not really a feature but more of an issue that needs to be considered in the realm of 360 photography. The Theta will use the same shutter speed and ISO for both sides of the camera, but if the lighting is harsh on one side but not the other (I.e. due to the position if the sun), there will be a visible difference between the two halves. You'd want to point the camera perpendicularly such that both sides pick up that strong light source.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks, once again, Adam.

Instinctively, that’s what i was thing of... (to set camera perpendicular to the sun, so both lenses receive the same amount of light), but i didn’t think it could make such a difference.

I will experiment this prior to use the Theta in any “valued images”.

Your comments are really appreciated.
11-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
thanks, once again, Adam.

Instinctively, that’s what i was thing of... (to set camera perpendicular to the sun, so both lenses receive the same amount of light), but i didn’t think it could make such a difference.

I will experiment this prior to use the Theta in any “valued images”.

Your comments are really appreciated.
No problem! I wish more folks here would jump on the Theta bandwagon. It really is an awesome format.

Adam

11-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No problem! I wish more folks here would jump on the Theta bandwagon. It really is an awesome format.
Yes, and it seems that Ricoh is aggressively developing the platform unlike its dslr products. They clearly see a future for the format.