Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Does Ricoh Theta V show the live image when connected just with Bluetooth?

Hi,
I apologize for asking such a novice question, but I am unable to see the live image on the Ricoh Theta V camera when I am connected just with Bluetooth. Should you be able to see the live image with just a Bluetooth connection?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

03-20-2019, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #2

I am using Theta SC (not V) coupled with my iPhone and this is how it works, yes.
The live view is showing, with a very slight delay (fraction of seconds).

Hope you would be able to figure it out on your device.
03-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi,

I can see the live image when I am connected with Bluetooth and WiFi, but with just the Bluetooth I don't see anything.
03-20-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pdonah1 Quote
when I am connected just with Bluetooth
The function of Bluetooth in a camera is to set up a Wi-fi connection between devices. Your Theta also has a Wi-fi radio, which can transmit data at least 10 times as fast as Bluetooth. You will also need Image Sync (or other compatible software) on your other device to communicate with your Theta. I don't have a Theta myself, but that is the function of Bluetooth in cameras, just to make the Wi-fi connection because it is too slow to transmit high resolution images in real time.

03-20-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Should you be able to see the live image with just a Bluetooth connection?
No, I am fairly certain that bluetooth can't show the live image. The bandwidth of bluetooth isn't too great. I think bluetooth is intented to provide a remote shutter control that uses less power and also doesn't require you to mess with the wifi on the phone.
03-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
That is good to know about Bluetooth. The reason I'm asking is I have a shoot in the field for the first time in a location where there is not a WiFi connection. And I'm wondering how I can monitor the image while filming. Is there a workaround for this?
03-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a shoot in the field for the first time in a location where there is not a WiFi connection
Can you use your cell phone as a hot spot?
how I can monitor the image while filming. Is there a workaround for this?
As long as you don't mind the delay and slightly lower resolution of a Wi-fi connection (compared to what the camera saves to its memory), the app for your Theta should allow you to use your mobile device as a monitor. The Theta V can live stream 4K video via Wi-fi, so it should be able to give you live view of still images as well (all in 360 degrees).

03-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
What if there is no WiFi? Can you live view what you are filming without WiFi? I will be in a place where there is no WiFi and am wondering if it is possible to see the video being shot without WiFi.
03-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What if there is no WiFi? Can you live view what you are filming without WiFi? I will be in a place where there is no WiFi and am wondering if it is possible to see the video being shot without WiFi.
The wi-fi connection is between your phone and the theta. It doesn't matter if there are no hotspots with internet, since internet isn't required for anything when shooting.

The main reason they added bluetooth was for you to be able to control the theta and go online (i.e. to share) at the same time. But you can most certainly use the wi-fi as well, and just turn it off when you want to go online.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all these responses! I am going to try this out tomorrow outside where there's no WiFi, and will report back how it all goes.
03-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

Sorry everyone for my first post (as I mixed Bluetooth connection VS Wi-Fi connection).