Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
My SC broken in less than 3 months. It refuses to recharge
I just went to Ricoh service center in Shinjuku, at first I/they thought it was a bad battery, and they think it should take less than an hour to change a battery, but it turns out to be more than that and it will take 2 weeks to fix. Hopeful it is still under warranty.
That's a bummer. Hopefully you'll get it back soon.

I love my Theta. One thing I found is having a small tripod/selfie stick for it is key. And a large one is great as well because it will minimize you in the photo. I have a collapsible Benro selfie stick and a larger Manfrotto VR stick.

It's definitely a great selfie camera

But you can get some great perspectives too:

The arch at Washing Square NYC:

Its a great tool to document spaces and construction

If its on a tripod and the subject is not moving I use the HDR mode and if its hand held I usually go with the DR compensation mode on the SC and V

---------- Post added 10-19-19 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have posted very few Theta images in "street view" form, but rather as variation over the tiny planet theme.

...or fishy:

...or something slightly more twisted:
Great images!

Last edited by wstruth; 10-19-2019 at 06:48 AM.
10-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These tiny planet shots are a rip! Thanks for sharing.
10-19-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just went to Ricoh service center in Shinjuku, at first I/they thought it was a bad battery, and they think it should take less than an hour to change a battery, but it turns out to be more than that and it will take 2 weeks to fix. Hopeful it is still under warranty.
I hope it isn't expensive to fix! I find that the Theta V battery doesn't last very long, especially if you record video, but that's partly because I have Wifi switched on for remote control.
The most battery saving option would be to temporarily disable wifi provided you aren't using it to trigger the camera.
10-20-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, sorry to hear that. Hope they'll be able to fix it - under warranty!

10-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #35
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Great images!
Right back atcha! You have some really nice twists. The hardest part with this thing is trying to pre-visualise the end result
10-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I love my Theta. One thing I found is having a small tripod/selfie stick for it is key. And a large one is great as well because it will minimize you in the photo. I have a collapsible Benro selfie stick and a larger Manfrotto VR stick.

If its on a tripod and the subject is not moving I use the HDR mode and if its hand held I usually go with the DR compensation mode on the SC and V
Lots of cool shots in this series! Thanks for posting. I'll have to experiment with the settings in the app for actually taking the photos!
10-22-2019, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have posted very few Theta images in "street view" form, but rather as variation over the tiny planet theme.

...or inside out:

...or fishy:

...or something slightly more twisted:

You’ve got some great images here!

10-25-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I am not a huge fan of fish-eye effect but I have to admit most of these pics shot with Theta are really nice!
10-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Part of it is lack of intuitive use/familiarity with both the Theta S and the software, the other part is that I really prefer doing processing on my desktop, and moving pics from my Theta S to my laptop is not as easier as I'd prefer. I also need to find a better tripod for easier removal from the final image.

I did start using the timer function on the app, and that has been a very good way of getting myself out of the picture, unless I want to be in the picture
10-28-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I did start using the timer function on the app, and that has been a very good way of getting myself out of the picture, unless I want to be in the picture
There's a plugin for the Theta V which takes one side at a time, so you can walk to either side and not be in the photo. I've used Wifi to trigger the camera from a distance and hid out of the shot.
A smaller tripod helps to get less of it in the image. I tried editing a Theta image in PaintShopPro, and it's OK for really basic editing. The phone software is more creative, although in some cases it forces the image to be portrait, which is a bit annoying. I use Wifi to transfer the photos to the phone, then copy them using USB later.
10-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Here's a photo I took in Milford Sound
I looked at this shot and knew where it was before even reading the text!

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 07:51 PM ----------

This thread is fun! I need to reconsider the Theta.
10-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
I looked at this shot and knew where it was before even reading the text!
Well done!

QuoteQuote:
This thread is fun! I need to reconsider the Theta.
It's the ultimate selfie machine, but it's also fun to experiment with the possibilities of fish-eye views. I kind of wish I could attach one to a drone, but drones are a whole different kettle of fish. I'll have to take it along on my next trip to Japan, although in popular areas of Japan selfie-sticks are banned, which is a nuisance. I've discovered that the still-photo-to-animation feature is better in manual creation mode than I thought. It's one way to create a video version of a 360 degree panorama in a very customised fashion.
11-04-2019, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

My first experience with a 360 camera, a Theta Z1, couldn't wait to get into the forest with it.

11-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
My first experience with a 360 camera, a Theta Z1, couldn't wait to get into the forest with it.
Cool images! Kind of an inverse "little planet". Did you use the self timer? What software did you use for the fish-eye effect?
I must post a few more Theta photos - I'd have taken some on the weekend except it was raining and the Theta isn't weather sealed AFAIK.
11-04-2019, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just get my SC back from a service center just a block away from where I shoot this photo.