Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gel56 Quote
Attachment 527979

Nicely done! Still figuring out the Z1 myself. The rules for composing an image in 360 are a bit different, right? Having a light stand to get the camera 10 feet off the ground helps a lot.
I had a tripod with me next time i will take a lightstand instead
need to figure out the photoshop workflow too, great colour on yours

06-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm curious why I don't see photos being posted on PF taken with the Theta series. I have a Theta V and I've only posted a couple, mainly because I dislike selfies, and unless you trigger the camera with wifi on a tripod it will inevitably be a selfie! However, does anyone have Theta photos to share?
I am afraid the lack of interest in this section is a result of irrelevance -- most Theta stuff gets postet in other sections, and it is hard to find timely information when you need it. Luckily, the internet is a big place.
06-13-2021, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have misplaced my Theta S, much to my regret.

Also, it might be preferrable to start a Group for Theta users. where people can find related threads.
06-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I am afraid the lack of interest in this section is a result of irrelevance -- most Theta stuff gets postet in other sections, and it is hard to find timely information when you need it. Luckily, the internet is a big place.
I'm not sure what you mean by irrelevance - I started this thread in the Ricoh Theta area.

06-20-2021, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure what you mean by irrelevance - I started this thread in the Ricoh Theta area.
I think its more about the number of people using specifically the Theta, then also these people knowing about PentaxForums and this particular sub-forum.
So all these criteria, narrows down the traffic by a lot.

I don't mind sharing 360 camera/video stuff (images, videos, workflow, etc), but I am also kept out since I went for a Insta360 OneX instead as its more for video (and the OneX does those better ).
Similarly, a loyal Pentaxian friend went XiaoMi for his 360 camera as it was higher res and 3K video at that time. (and he's also kept out )

My few cents.... (since I am not the person who made the comment )
06-21-2021, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think its more about the number of people using specifically the Theta, then also these people knowing about PentaxForums and this particular sub-forum.
So all these criteria, narrows down the traffic by a lot.
Fair enough. I guess the nature of the camera means that there's a lot of people who wouldn't associate Ricoh and Pentax and look for this website. On the other had, I supposed that many Pentax owners might have bought a Theta.

QuoteQuote:
I don't mind sharing 360 camera/video stuff (images, videos, workflow, etc), but I am also kept out since I went for a Insta360 OneX instead as its more for video (and the OneX does those better ).
Similarly, a loyal Pentaxian friend went XiaoMi for his 360 camera as it was higher res and 3K video at that time. (and he's also kept out )
Also Fair enough. You could post in "Post your photos" since it seems to accept photos which weren't taken with Pentax/Ricoh gear, but responding to this thread with a non-Theta photo wouldn't make so much sense.

QuoteQuote:
My few cents.... (since I am not the person who made the comment )
No worries - thanks for the input!
06-21-2021, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Fair enough. I guess the nature of the camera means that there's a lot of people who wouldn't associate Ricoh and Pentax and look for this website. On the other had, I supposed that many Pentax owners might have bought a Theta.
That seems to be the case indeed.

I admit that, even though I fit the description of a Pentax owner who bought a Theta (first the V and more recently the Z1), I never frequented this page a lot. And to be honest I haven't used them enough either. I started following a few instagrammers and am starting to see a bit clearer how to get creative results, so I'm hoping to change that. See also the two threads I started, although the subjects are a bit too niche perhaps to expect a lot of reply?

I have to add that, my extended family simply not getting most of the "creative" 360 shots, isn't the greatest motivator for me to use the Theta more than I already do.

Probably most users are real estate professionals, with no time to waste on hobby oriented forums?

Last edited by Ishpuini; 06-21-2021 at 05:33 AM.
06-21-2021, 05:28 AM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Probably most users are real estate professionals, with no time to waste on hobby oriented forums?
Quite likely I suspect.
06-21-2021, 06:31 AM   #84
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I, too, got a One X as I find the non-removable battery and memory of the S a bit limiting. Not much of an issue for a short outing, but I don't want to carry a laptop for offloading images whenever I go somewhere.

Then again, the One X does really need an extra battery. The blasted thing drains the battery while it's switched off, so if you forget to remove the battery it will go flat in a few days. Quite annoying, that.

Better video quality with the X is a nice bonus.
06-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #85

If it floats people boats then fine, but it's a bit of a one trick pony isn't it. And as for 'creative'? Nah.
06-21-2021, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I, too, got a One X as I find the non-removable battery and memory of the S a bit limiting. Not much of an issue for a short outing, but I don't want to carry a laptop for offloading images whenever I go somewhere.
Then again, the One X does really need an extra battery. The blasted thing drains the battery while it's switched off, so if you forget to remove the battery it will go flat in a few days. Quite annoying, that.
Better video quality with the X is a nice bonus.
Fair enough. I agree that the battery life on the Theta is poor. I was hoping to use mine for more video, but the gimbal was faulty and there's no replacement. It's fun for selfies though!

---------- Post added 22-06-21 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
If it floats people boats then fine, but it's a bit of a one trick pony isn't it. And as for 'creative'? Nah.
I think there's a lot of potential for creativity with a spherical image or video.
06-21-2021, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #87
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and no. If you use it for only straight up spherical images, then yes, it's pretty much a one trick pony. Potentially a very useful trick, but still just one trick. And I agree, not very creative in itself.

But there's a lot of creative potential in these cameras - even more for video than for still images, I think. The "shoot first, frame later" ability is really quite useful. When filming you can even get multiple clips from the same take. With limited resolution this isn't quite as useful for still images, though.

I think there's a lot of potential for creativity with a spherical image or video.
Indeed. One could argue that the twistability of these images is "just post processing", but finding/setting up the right scenes for these shots definitely demands creativity - and quite literally thinking "outside the box"
06-22-2021, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Veteran Member

I agree that at first it would seem a one trick pony. Indeed my images so far have been very much one effect, i.e. classic tiny planets, albeit sometimes inverted ones. So that could count as two tricks...

There are people who are doing more than that though, even with that same projection they get an amazing variety of images. I've started following a few on social media for inspiration. The difficult creative part is seeing where to put the 360 camera in the scene. Initial "functional" instinct says: put it in the middle of the scene, but that's not where the creative images are born necessarily, although some are. I'm starting to see that now, but have yet to practice it.
07-12-2021, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

I'm just back from two weeks travel in Sicily, and nothing new here... I took the K-3 III with me, so that naturally was my main camera. The Theta Z1 came along too however, and I tried a few more creative shots. Trouble is that it's relatively time consuming to setup compared to DLSR photography, so I didn't manage more than a handful. Once I get around to post processing them (there over 2000 K-3 III images to process as well) I'll post them in this subforum...
07-12-2021, 04:40 PM   #90
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I'm just back from two weeks travel in Sicily, and nothing new here... I took the K-3 III with me, so that naturally was my main camera. The Theta Z1 came along too however, and I tried a few more creative shots. Trouble is that it's relatively time consuming to setup compared to DLSR photography, so I didn't manage more than a handful. Once I get around to post processing them (there over 2000 K-3 III images to process as well) I'll post them in this subforum...
Please do! Unfortunately an outbreak of covid in Sydney has now made travel more difficult where I live.