Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why are people not posting Theta photos?

I'm curious why I don't see photos being posted on PF taken with the Theta series. I have a Theta V and I've only posted a couple, mainly because I dislike selfies, and unless you trigger the camera with wifi on a tripod it will inevitably be a selfie! However, does anyone have Theta photos to share?

10-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the Theta is only starting to be taken seriously. Hopefully the Z1, and whatever affordable model follows with the larger sensor, will keep changing that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2019, 09:14 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just get the SC.

To be honest, I don't really like JPG file but the one with RAW format is way way too expensive for a hobby.
This is one i just posted on my IG page.
10-02-2019, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Z1 has been sitting idle for three months. I really should lift my game.

10-03-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@severalsnakes posted quite a few theta pics in the past. She has a knack for using it creatively.
10-03-2019, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am equally guilty of letting the V just sit idle. Maybe if more people posted we slackers would be inspired to take some post worthy photos. i know I should just do it myself. Could happen.
10-03-2019, 06:24 AM - 6 Likes   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am equally guilty of letting the V just sit idle. Maybe if more people posted we slackers would be inspired to take some post worthy photos. i know I should just do it myself. Could happen.

Here you go, a few more post. I always have it on my pant's pocket when go out because I still have no idea how to compost a picture using 360 camera. I need to learn more and shoot with it as much as possible. The biggest problem for me is how to take photo and avoid mess-up resolution in the corners.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-03-2019 at 07:02 AM.
10-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Here you go, a few more post. I always have it on my pant's pocket when go out because I still have no idea how to compost a picture using 360 camera. I need to learn more and shoot with it as much as possible. The biggest problem for me is how to take photo and avoid mess-up resolution in the corners.
This among the best Theta photos I have seen.
good work.
10-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

To answer you question, I'd wager that for a gear-centric forum like this one, most folks are looking for higher IQ which, rightfully or wrongfully, is often equated to one's ability to make a "good" photo.
I know that for myself, when I first bought a dSLR is 2010 (a K-x) I did so thinking that the camera was going to give me better pictures than my little 2007 digital point and shoot. In fact, the images I began making only had better IQ; only after I made the effort to improve my abilities as a photographer, did my images begin to improve.

When done well, the images created by a Theta have been some of the most engaging photos I've come across online. They can really make the viewer feel like a part of the scene.
I feel that getting a great composition out of a very wide focal length is generally more challenging than longer focal lengths where a photographer can have greater control of the elements included and excluded in a frame; getting everything in a super wide angle frame to play nice together is a superb challenge to a photographer. When it all comes together (like the images above) the results can sing!

More often than not though, the images I've seen from these cameras are made more from a snapshot style "grab everything and go" type of image. Not that this is in itself a bad thing, but it doesn't mesh well with the enthusiast audience we find on these forums.
10-04-2019, 04:41 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This among the best Theta photos I have seen.
good work.
Thank you very much! Another encouragement for me to try more.
10-04-2019, 12:27 PM - 8 Likes   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have posted very few Theta images in "street view" form, but rather as variation over the tiny planet theme.

...or inside out:

...or fishy:

...or something slightly more twisted:

10-04-2019, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Now these are some interesting shots.
My mate had a 360 camera a few years back and could never get a clean shot without him in it, haha. That's why I am hesitant to pull the trigger and buy one, I don't want to be in any of them
10-05-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Now these are some interesting shots.
My mate had a 360 camera a few years back and could never get a clean shot without him in it, haha. That's why I am hesitant to pull the trigger and buy one, I don't want to be in any of them
Thanks. Yes, I too was hesitant as I dislike being in pictures. Laziness overcame that after a while, though But really, it's not that hard. The Theta comes with a small tripod, and if you use the timer or the phone app you just have to find a place to hide. If you can't see the camera, it can't see you. And even if you can't hide, getting away just a few metres will shrink you considerably. The two images where I look straight at the camera I hold it on a normal selfie stick less than 1m/3ft long. Put the camera on a stick with a tripod foot and walk away just twice that distance and you can probably remove yourself with some spot healing.

Same thing when making a "tiny planet". Holding the camera overhead on a selfie stick you will become just a small part of the picture and quite easy to remove with spot healing or content-aware fill. The longer the stick the easier it becomes - the extreme wide angle lenses are a great help.

Even in the silly shot with me spread eagled I look to be a bit away from the camera, right? Well, the camera was on the mini tripod on the floor with me standing on all fours over it. 360 cameras can really mess with your head
10-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The way I see it, Theta is such a fun camera. It's quite expensive and I just don't have the funds for it. Maybe after I've bought my children's gears, I can look into this.
10-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have posted very few Theta images in "street view" form, but rather as variation over the tiny planet theme.
Beautiful set of photo. I really like the second one from the last.