Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The way I see it, Theta is such a fun camera. It's quite expensive and I just don't have the funds for it. Maybe after I've bought my children's gears, I can look into this.
It is a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to find a second-hand Theta S for a bit over $100 - cheap enough that I could justify getting it just to see what it was. I think the "shoot first, frame later" ability is more interesting than presenting the full spherical photo in most cases. Oh, and I really want something with higher video resolution than the S - the "frame later" part is really wonderful in video. I believe the 4K and 5.xK resolution you get from the newest 360 cams will leave you with roughly 1080p when you crop it to fit a normal screen. The 1080p resolution of the S is far from enough to crop.

I made this little clip with the S. It demostrates both some of the creative possibilities with a 360 camera as well as the inadequate video resolution of the S.

10-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Beautiful set of photo. I really like the second one from the last.
Thanks! It can make some very, very wide fisheye shots!
10-06-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It is a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to find a second-hand Theta S for a bit over $100 - cheap enough that I could justify getting it just to see what it was. I think the "shoot first, frame later" ability is more interesting than presenting the full spherical photo in most cases. Oh, and I really want something with higher video resolution than the S - the "frame later" part is really wonderful in video. I believe the 4K and 5.xK resolution you get from the newest 360 cams will leave you with roughly 1080p when you crop it to fit a normal screen. The 1080p resolution of the S is far from enough to crop.

I made this little clip with the S. It demostrates both some of the creative possibilities with a 360 camera as well as the inadequate video resolution of the S.

Østbanehallen - YouTube
Just subscribe to your channel, good job!
10-06-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Østbanehallen - YouTube
The pictures you posted are great Savoche. I'll look into your video. I'm a little scared in buying second hand cameras. Maybe if I have some spare cash and after purchasing my kids units I'll be looking at Theta. Output looks fun.

10-07-2019, 02:06 AM   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just subscribe to your channel, good job!
What, do you mean I have to make more videos?

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The pictures you posted are great Savoche. I'll look into your video. I'm a little scared in buying second hand cameras. Maybe if I have some spare cash and after purchasing my kids units I'll be looking at Theta. Output looks fun.
I have bought only second hand cameras the last 5 years and have had no problems so far. But I see what you mean - it does feel safer buying from a store.

And yeah, this is a hobby (for most of us) and will have to wait in line behind more urgent expenses - especially when it's a pure "fun cam" like this.

Last edited by savoche; 10-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.
10-07-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Inactive Account

What, do you mean I have to make more videos? :eek

It would be nice to see more good video like that
10-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

some of those pictures are great (and funny )

10-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm curious why I don't see photos being posted on PF taken with the Theta series. I have a Theta V and I've only posted a couple, mainly because I dislike selfies, and unless you trigger the camera with wifi on a tripod it will inevitably be a selfie! However, does anyone have Theta photos to share?
I am guessing @Adam is mostly right; you need a special sense as an artist to use the Theta effectively - p.s., I'm not the guy.
10-09-2019, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
Now these are some interesting shots.
My mate had a 360 camera a few years back and could never get a clean shot without him in it, haha. That's why I am hesitant to pull the trigger and buy one, I don't want to be in any of them
You can set up the Theta with a phone as a remote control and trigger the shutter via WiFi. Put the camera on a tripod and you don't have to be in the photo anymore. Of course you'd want to do this in circumstances where nobody was likely to steal the tripod and camera... I have tried this. Putting the camera on a selfie-stick also provides a bit of distance.

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 04:36 PM ----------

I just get the SC.
To be honest, I don't really like JPG file but the one with RAW format is way way too expensive for a hobby.
This is one i just posted on my IG page.
Nice shot! The scramble crossing in Shibuya?

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am guessing @Adam is mostly right; you need a special sense as an artist to use the Theta effectively - p.s., I'm not the guy.
Possibly so. I'm not into selfies, and this is the perfect selfie camera. But I'm still curious about what I can do with it.
10-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Nice shot! The scramble crossing in Shibuya?

This one is a cross in Ginza. it is easier to take a photo for me because fewer people and the stop is longer.
10-10-2019, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
This one is a cross in Ginza. it is easier to take a photo for me because fewer people and the stop is longer.
Fair enough! It also happens to have a Ricoh sign.
10-12-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a photo I took in Milford Sound

Ricoh Theta 360 Image

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:25 PM ----------

A different view of Milford

Milford Sound
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:26 PM ----------

Queenstown

Queenstown

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:27 PM ----------

Pressure wave

Pressure wave

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:28 PM ----------

Lake world (this was the first time I tried 360 degree editing in Paintshop Pro)

Lake world

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:30 PM ----------

Snow on the pines

Snowy pines

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:31 PM ----------

Snow at Bull's Head

Snow at Bull's Head

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:32 PM ----------

A Giant Lily

Giant Lily

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:33 PM ----------

A blue-green planet somewhere in the ACT

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:33 PM ----------

OK, I'll stop now!

Stop going in circles!
10-12-2019, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I found out why the bridge was bouncing...

10-14-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I found out why the bridge was bouncing...
10-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #30
Inactive Account

My SC broken in less than 3 months. It refuses to recharge
I just went to Ricoh service center in Shinjuku, at first I/they thought it was a bad battery, and they think it should take less than an hour to change a battery, but it turns out to be more than that and it will take 2 weeks to fix. Hopeful it is still under warranty.