Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Cool images! Kind of an inverse "little planet". Did you use the self timer? What software did you use for the fish-eye effect?
I must post a few more Theta photos - I'd have taken some on the weekend except it was raining and the Theta isn't weather sealed AFAIK.
Downloaded that apps from here, including the Lightroom plugin: Download | RICOH THETA

Watched the how to videos here: How to use | RICOH THETA Lab.

Used only the RAW images, processed in Lightroom -> Bridge -> Camera Raw -> Photoshop, then opened the photo in Theta go into the 360 view and capture the image you want. Didn`t use the timer, used the cell phone app to take the photo.

Hopefully that helps

11-04-2019, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Just get my SC back from a service center just a block away from where I shoot this photo.
Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku. I can see how the Theta is cool for street photos in Tokyo.

---------- Post added 05-11-19 at 02:58 PM ----------

Here's another one from Milford Sound.

11-05-2019, 03:49 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another one, pushing my camera really hard on the low light performance!

11-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are getting really interesting results. Good demos of what thetas can do.

11-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another one, pushing my camera really hard on the low light performance!
Interesting shot! That must be a recent addition to Tokyo station. Or maybe it's been there for ages and I just haven't been to that bit - I usually walk underground in that area.
Good to know that it can do low light photos. The couple of attempts I made indicated that it needs a reasonable amount of light compared to the K3.
11-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Interesting shot! That must be a recent addition to Tokyo station. Or maybe it's been there for ages and I just haven't been to that bit - I usually walk underground in that area.
Yes, It has been there for sometime already. I take people there sometime on my Tokyo photo tour. A few more building in the area people can go up and take photo. FYI, if you go back there, it is Kitte department store. Go up to the restaurant floor. No tripod allows.

Good to know that it can do low light photos. The couple of attempts I made indicated that it needs a reasonable amount of light compared to the K3.
Theta SC can only shoot JPG too. I was a bit disappoint at first because I shoot only (most of the time) at night. I know it only does JPG before buy. I thought it should be manageable, but I had never had to edit JPG out of a camera. My first couple of shot was so bad even daytime shot. Details in the shadow was horrible. Now I get a bit better in editing JPG from the SC. A lot of help and credit to the new LightRoom mobile version. That application is incredible in keeping the details in JPG file, and I will get a chance to go to a workshop with the guy behind the software end of this year. Excite to learn more.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-06-2019 at 04:06 PM.
11-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #52
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Why are people not posting Theta photos?
Cos I ain't got one...

11-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, It has been there for sometime already. I take people there sometime on my Tokyo photo tour. A few more building in the area people can go up and take photo. FYI, if you go back there, it is Kitte department store. Go up to the restaurant floor. No tripod allows.
Thanks for the pointer! I might get the chance in January.

QuoteQuote:
Theta SC can only shoot JPG too. I was a bit disappoint at first because I shoot only (most of the time) at night. I know it only does JPG before buy. I thought it should be manageable, but I had never had to edit JPG out of a camera. My first couple of shot was so bad even daytime shot. Details in the shadow was horrible. Now I get a bit better in editing JPG from the SC. A lot of help and credit to the new LightRoom mobile version. That application is incredible in keeping the details in JPG file, and I will get a chance to go to a workshop with the guy behind the software end of this year. Excite to learn more.
Cool about LightRoom! I should try some night shots with the Theta V in reasonably well lit streets. The Theta V also only saves in JPG (and MP4), no RAW.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Cos I ain't got one...
That'll do it every time! It took me a while to find the Theta cameras in the forum camera list because they're under Ricoh compact cameras. I suppose that makes sense?
11-08-2019, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a really nice shot Tokyoscape!

I keep making my way back to this thread. Keep putting up the pics folks!

The gas is building for Theta.
11-08-2019, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
That is a really nice shot Tokyoscape!

I keep making my way back to this thread. Keep putting up the pics folks!

The gas is building for Theta.

Thank you a lot, I will go out for some more tonight.
11-23-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #56
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a plugin for the Theta V which takes one side at a time, so you can walk to either side and not be in the photo. I've used Wifi to trigger the camera from a distance and hid out of the shot.
Oh, that sounds really handy. No such possibility on the S, though.

A smaller tripod helps to get less of it in the image.
Yes, or a mini-tripod with a longer "neck" - a.k.a. a selfie stick with a tripod foot.

I tried editing a Theta image in PaintShopPro, and it's OK for really basic editing. The phone software is more creative, although in some cases it forces the image to be portrait, which is a bit annoying. I use Wifi to transfer the photos to the phone, then copy them using USB later.
The best piece of desktop software I have found so far is from competing 360 camera producer Insta360. Their "Studio" software for the Insta360 One (not for the One X) works well with images taken with the Theta. I've found that I can edit the image in Photoshop and then do the twisty-turny part in Insta360 Studio.
11-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, that sounds really handy. No such possibility on the S, though.
Aren't there any plugins for the S?

QuoteQuote:
Yes, or a mini-tripod with a longer "neck" - a.k.a. a selfie stick with a tripod foot.
I saw someone trying to use one in NZ and the very slight breeze was enough to topple it over. So - yes, provided there's no breeze and you have a flat surface.

QuoteQuote:
The best piece of desktop software I have found so far is from competing 360 camera producer Insta360. Their "Studio" software for the Insta360 One (not for the One X) works well with images taken with the Theta. I've found that I can edit the image in Photoshop and then do the twisty-turny part in Insta360 Studio.
Thanks for the pointer!
12-06-2019, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Inactive Account

At Adobe MAX Japan pre-conference workshop learning 360 photography and Photoshop on iPad from the very best in the industry, Russell Brown.
I was blow away by what I lean from Russell.
This photo took by theta Z1. I need to better aim the camera. The resolution on the top right is messed up pretty good!

12-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
At Adobe MAX Japan pre-conference workshop learning 360 photography and Photoshop on iPad from the very best in the industry, Russell Brown.
I was blow away by what I lean from Russell.
This photo took by theta Z1. I need to better aim the camera. The resolution on the top right is messed up pretty good!
Cool image! Is the edge sharpness normally that soft? I haven't noticed it so much on the Theta V.
12-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Cool image! Is the edge sharpness normally that soft?
I use a Z1 provided by Richo team which was in the classroom that day. It is a pro level, and I didn't expect to see a blur like that too. I guess It is my fall pointing the top of the camera at the model. I should have it a bit higher so the lens can capture him at a better angle.