Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Why are my pano images soft?

Hi,

Another issue I've found is that the images I personally have produced on the Theta Z1 are very soft. I'm used to the images I get from my 5D MarkIV and 8mm Sigma fisheye. It looks like a straight up prime lens with no focus. Am I missing something? I think I've been shooting at 2.1 but will I get much sharper images if I go to 5.6?

Best,

Ben

12-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, Ben

Could you post an example? It would be easier for us to say whether it's normal or not for that camera...
12-19-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by esotericvision Quote
Hi,

Another issue I've found is that the images I personally have produced on the Theta Z1 are very soft. I'm used to the images I get from my 5D MarkIV and 8mm Sigma fisheye. It looks like a straight up prime lens with no focus. Am I missing something? I think I've been shooting at 2.1 but will I get much sharper images if I go to 5.6?

Best,

Ben
Is it on a systematic basis or are there circumstances when Z1 output is less soft?
12-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not familiar with that camera but I've seen cases where a slower shutter speeds can cause a tiny little motion blur making the image "softer". Do you have an example?

Thanks,

12-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning Ben, and welcome to the Forum!

My take is that they are two different cameras that are oriented towards two completely different purposes.
  • The 5D is oriented towards still images with whatever lens currently mounted. While the Z1 is oriented towards taking 360 degree spherical images to capture the "environment" that the camera is within. Two different cameras, two different purposes. The Z1 is essentially a special purpose camera system.
  • The 5DMkIV is a DSLR with a large full size 30MP sensor, while the Z1 essentially has a smart phone sizes 22MP (single image) sensor.
  • There is a slight difference in lenses, although both cover about 180 degree field of view. The Z1 has an obvious limitation on the physical size of the lens (due to physical packaging), with the overall design goal being the creation of spherical images with no visible stitch. The Sigma 8mm on the 5D is the more traditional fish eye, designed for overall image quality. I'm just going to assume that some design constraints played a role in the Z1's lenses, in order to have each side capture a greater than 180 degree FOV in order to accomplish the full 350 spherical coverage, along with the physical packaging challenges.
I'm going to guess that the Z1 choose or had to compromise in order to get the small package, two cameras in order to meet the design goals of its 360 degree spherical imaging purpose, and that some soft images is a by product of the necessary compromises.

12-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The z1 shoots 23mp images for the entire spherical view, while the 5d with fish eye shoots 180 degree images at 30+ mp. So even if they had the same base image quality, which is in favor of the 5d because of both sensor size and lens design, you'd get less resolution if you were to crop the 360 image to just the fish eye's view.