Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you protect your Theta Camera ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The Theta camera's are generally well built. They are usually made of a magnesium metal that feels solid enough, but does not protect it from rain, heat, or drops. I should know, my Theta Z dropped while sitting on a Monopod when a strong breeze suddenly passed by knocking the whole thing to hard cement. The camera went dead for about 10 minutes, but I was able to revive it. unfortunately I noticed that after the fall, all my scans had ugly black streaks in them.

Richo is not exactly famous for speedy repair work , but luckilly my company said they will send me a replacement while the camera is being repaired. With that said, I began looking for protection cases for the Theta Z, but they pale in comparison to the protection cases for iPhones. Richo sells a protective case calle the TH3, but its made from plastic that I heard easily scratches, degrades the image a little bit and is quite expensive. I was thinking about just wrapping up the camera up in some type of rubbery tape so if and when it hits the ground it would just bounce off. Anybody has any ideas ?

03-17-2023, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

$65 seems cheap. Risk/reward. Yes, anything in front of a lens can degrade an image. Would your alt method impede camera functions? Would it create (over)heat concerns? Assure that if/when camera makes use of that's the only area allowed to impact? Seems the problem lies in operating with a monopod in conditions not favorable to monopod use, and that you solve simply with weight, ground screw/spike, or more legs.
03-18-2023, 05:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As the others mentioned, get a better monopod, or a spiked monopod whenever situation allows. IF there is still risk, get the cover Ricoh makes and see if the image is truly degraded.

It is tough because of the 180 degree plus FOV the Theta allows. It's one of the only downsides to using the Theta, IMO.

Last edited by robgski; 03-18-2023 at 05:58 AM.
03-18-2023, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
As the others mentioned, get a better monopod, or a spiked monopod whenever situation allows. IF there is still risk, get the cover Ricoh makes and see if the image is truly degraded.

It is tough because of the 180 degree plus FOV the Theta allows. It's one of the only downsides to using the Theta, IMO.

So far I found this "protective" case for the Z1 on ebay: Silicon Protective Case Silicon Protective Silicone Case with Lens Cover Shell for Ricoh Theta Z1 V8L0 | eBay Does not look that protective, but I was thinking that maybe I could wrap some type of rubberirzed tape arround the perimeter of the Case such as this: https://rubbersheetwarehouse.com/products/neoprene-rubber-strips-60a-medium-...nt=21540356803

Usually I use a Light Stand with a much wider footprint when I'm outside and the Monopod with a much smaller foot print when I'm inside. That day however, I could not get the RICOH TE-2 Extension Adapter Off the Monopod so I could switch to the Light Stand no matter how hard I tried. It was a breezy day, but I would not call it windy. I set up the Theta Z1 on the Monopod since I had no choice. I hid behind the bushes so I would not be seen on the Scans. Then I heard a loud "WAPP". The camera had hit the floor !.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 03-18-2023 at 07:03 AM.
08-22-2023, 08:37 PM   #5

That rubberized tape would not be ideal for cushioning, since it's solid rubber, not the sponge rubber of the more typical Neoprene. For padding, the stuff you want is the wide foam type used between the sides of a pickup truck and a camper top, something like this:

Self Adhesive Camper Mount Foam Tape 3/16in x 1 1/4in x 33ft for Truck Shells, RVs, Cars, Boats and Home. Helps Stop Vibrations, Scratches and Squeaks. Seal Around Air Conditioners, Doors and Windows : Amazon.ca: Automotive

You can also find this kind of foam tape listed under Weatherstrip.
09-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax4me Quote
That rubberized tape would not be ideal for cushioning, since it's solid rubber, not the sponge rubber of the more typical Neoprene. For padding, the stuff you want is the wide foam type used between the sides of a pickup truck and a camper top, something like this:

Self Adhesive Camper Mount Foam Tape 3/16in x 1 1/4in x 33ft for Truck Shells, RVs, Cars, Boats and Home. Helps Stop Vibrations, Scratches and Squeaks. Seal Around Air Conditioners, Doors and Windows : Amazon.ca: Automotive

You can also find this kind of foam tape listed under Weatherstrip.
it's not solid rubber, its pretty cushionny and sponge like...
09-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
it's not solid rubber, its pretty cushionny and sponge like...

Maybe their ad is incorrect. This is what I read in the link you provided (caps are actually in the ad):

"Typical Physical Properties:

Solid Rubber - This product is NOT sponge or foam
Durometer / Hardness Shore A 60+/-5

Tensile Strength 525 PSI

Elongation 200%

Operating Temperature -40 Deg. F. to +200 Deg. F.

Finish Smooth Both Sides"

Also, why not get a tripod? Most of the quality ones have a choice of angles for the legs, so at the narrower angles, the feet would likely not be visible in the picture. The "feet" for monopods are likely intended for indoor use only, with no risk of wind. Light stands (other than heavy duty models) are also mostly intended for indoor studio use. If you must use a monopod, some small (5 lbs.?) sandbags on the "feet' might provide the stability you need. Many outdoor photographers use them to hold down their light stands.

Last edited by Pentax4me; 09-08-2023 at 07:48 PM.
09-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax4me Quote
Maybe their ad is incorrect. This is what I read in the link you provided (caps are actually in the ad):

"Typical Physical Properties:

Solid Rubber - This product is NOT sponge or foam
Durometer / Hardness Shore A 60+/-5

Tensile Strength 525 PSI

Elongation 200%

Operating Temperature -40 Deg. F. to +200 Deg. F.

Finish Smooth Both Sides"

Also, why not get a tripod? Most of the quality ones have a choice of angles for the legs, so at the narrower angles, the feet would likely not be visible in the picture. The "feet" for monopods are likely intended for indoor use only, with no risk of wind. Light stands (other than heavy duty models) are also mostly intended for indoor studio use. If you must use a monopod, some small (5 lbs.?) sandbags on the "feet' might provide the stability you need. Many outdoor photographers use them to hold down their light stands.
OK I tried, thanks
11-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used this silicone case https://www.amazon.com/Theta-Cleaning-Silicone-Camera-HOLACA/dp/B076V5L2S8/r...65&sr=8-9&th=1

But I prefer this hard case https://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-Digital-Camera-Pocket-Caseling/dp/B01JGR01BA/re...zcF9tdGY&psc=1
02-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a case from Nite-Ize, similar to this case