Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap way to protect your Theta Z1 camera or Theta X

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

1) eBay sells these protective Silicone cases for the Theta z1 and the Theta X.
These will not protect your camera from falls, and bumps but it will prevent any scratches.
Silicon Protective Silicone Case with Lens Cover Shell for Ricoh Theta Z1 V8L0 | eBay

2) Amazon sells some adhesive foam insulation tape that if placed in certain areas, might protect your camera or at least minimize the damage in case of a bump or fall.
Yotache Weather Stripping for Doors 2 Rolls 1/2" W X 1/4" T, Black Foam Seal Tape for Sliding Door Jamb, Front Door Frame Windows Insulation, 26 Ft Length (2 X 13 Ft Each) - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

3) The eBay Silicone case comes with a hoodie to protect the lenses (see pictures attached).

4) Cut 2 holes in the hoodie where the lenses are supposed to be(pictures attached).

5) Then wrap the top of the silicone hoodie with the Insulation foam tape on the top. Also place some insulation tape right above and below the lens on the hoodie.

6) Wrap some insulation tape at the bottom of the camera with one piece of insulation tape and staple both ends together until they form a loop . This will protect the lower end of the camera.(pictures attached) if the camera falls that way .

The lens on the Z1 is very sensitive so avoid putting it in your pocket or bag without the Original Protector case. I found this out the hard way. I heard that the plastic Protector case Richo sells for almost $70 is very sensitive to scratches and the image quality is also affected.. Not sure how true that is since I don't have one ?

Attached Images

04-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's ugly but functional. I like it. Will try to cook up something like that for the Theta V I have. Thanks for sharing!
04-10-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Make sure you cut the holes big enough on the silicone cap so that they do not affect the image. Also when using Matterport software it picks up the Black sponge tabs below and above the lens. This does not happen with Zillow tours for some reason ? My guess is that zillow tours are 360 degrees and Matterport is 3D.