check the shutter speed and ISO sensitivity before
shooting because the metering is performed immediately
before the shutter is released. When shooting with Live
View, you can check the shutter speed and ISO sensitivity
before shooting because the aperture is always narrowed
down.
• When a lens with automatic diaphragm is attached, the
aperture is narrowed down immediately before the shutter
is released, causing a time lag in the shutter release.

How to Achieve the Correct Exposure with the Aperture
Ring Not Set to 9

The correct exposure can be achieved by the following
procedures when the aperture ring is not set to 9.
1 Set the mode dial to L.
2 Set the aperture ring to the desired aperture.
3 Press M.
The correct shutter speed will be set.
4 If the correct exposure cannot be achieved, adjust the
ISO sensitivity.

The first part suggests to me using the aperture ring in Av (or other modes like TAv) there is no need to use the green button first. However there is no way to see what shutter speed or ISO that is used because the aperture only stops down after the shutter is released to take the exposure reading. Unless one is using Live View which will stop down the aperture and take continuous meter readings.

Also there is no mention of how one records the aperture other than setting by Q, R or V - front eDial, rear eDial or Smart Functioin, respectively. The CP+ video on part of the Touch and Try sessions reviews this feature - from what I can gather from the auto captioning (voice to text and auto translation to English) is with MF lenses you set the recorded f-stop but still have to set it on the "moat" ("ring?) of the lens.

03-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The posted manual seems to have some issues with buttons in the text. Lots of odd letters appearing instead of actual button images. For instance, in the list of steps, I’m pretty sure that “L” and “M” are not what the manual actually means.
04-01-2021, 02:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The posted manual seems to have some issues with buttons in the text. Lots of odd letters appearing instead of actual button images. For instance, in the list of steps, I’m pretty sure that “L” and “M” are not what the manual actually means.
What @stevebrot says (#15), I don't how this document landed at Ricoh EU and publicly visible, but it doesn't seem to be the final version.
04-01-2021, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The official and complete manuals are now published on the Ricoh Japan web site:
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Notice that the K3-III is on top of the list and not along the K3 and K3-II.

05-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
just got to decide whether to hang on to the KP or trade it in. The K-70 is certainly staying
I don't understand why the K-70 is definitely staying.
I purchased the KP when the price went down, considering it to be definitely be superior to the K-70, both in construction in general and in not having the solenoid-based
aperture system which has caused so much angst amongst n0 owners.
05-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand why the K-70 is definitely staying.
I purchased the KP when the price went down, considering it to be definitely be superior to the K-70, both in construction in general and in not having the solenoid-based
aperture system which has caused so much angst amongst n0 owners.

Easy … the totally adjustable rear screen … for low-level macro, overhead whatever, high-elevation astro, wherever I want to point it and/or position the camera, the screen is always adjustable so's I can see it without strain.
The KP is great, but it has it's limitations.
As for "angst" … how many owners do you actually know who've had a problem with their K-70? If there really was a problem for the K-70, outside the "normal" failure rate, don't you think the "technically superior" KP would have been kept in production whilst the K-70 was quietly shelved? I was surprised that an apparently comprehensive firmware update was released for the KP right at the point of it's apparent demise … maybe there's some production difficulty, chip shortages or whatever, which has put things on hold for a while?
I've now got my K-3iii, and it's streets ahead of either the KP or the K-70, for what I want it for. The K-70 sits in the bag, usually with a Tamron 90mm attached and continues to earn it's keep with 24K exposures and counting. The "flippy screen" is often easier to use than my Ref A right-angle finder, (never thought I'd admit that), and the little underpowered built-in flash comes in handy when crawling around in the undergrowth. I still haven't decided about the KP, I've not spent enough time with it's 1/24000sec shutter speed to benefit from that, but with the small grip and a prime lens fitted it does make for a relatively compact camera, so maybe there is a home for it
05-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #22

This is an interesting forum. I look forward to future posts.

Cheers,
Loyd

05-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thread.

The manual lenses that I use most on my DSLRs are likely to remain the same on the new K-3III. I must say I am looking forward to the new camera for this specifically.

I very much like the idea of setting up a user mode for a specific lens.

These three would be the most likely candidates from my collection:
- Pentax K50/1.2
- Samyang 24/3.5 T-S
- Hartblei Superrotator 65/3.5

The latter two will benefit a lot as well from the reduced overhang to access lens controls.

05-27-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new article just posted by PF staff

QuoteQuote:
K-3 III How-to: Using M and K Lenses
How to use M and K series lenses with the K-3 III
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 27, 2021

Read more at: K-3 III How-to: Using M and K Lenses - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com