Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 07:41 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using old lenses on the K-3 Mark III

There is article in the April issue of Nippon Camera about using old lenses on the K-3 III. The camera itself was reviewed in the March issue, so this is not about the specification of the camera so much a hands-on experience of using different generations of lens on the camera.

The article points out a few things that make the camera more usable than previous ones for using legacy lenses.
- The ability to set the aperture and use Av and /TAv modes. Also the new behavior in live view mode to let you better preview the image without needing to press a preview button. The user had tried this with Pentax and other brand lenses, as well as adapted medium format lenses. He also liked that FA lenses can now be used with the aperture ring, should you prefer that.
- The use of the five user modes. The article describes how you can set a user mode to correspond to the settings for one of your manual lenses. It means you have a physical switch that can immediately set the focal length and any other customizations you want for that lens. It is possible to name each user mode Ito anything presumably, but one idea is to name it after the specific lens. For example, there was a photo of screen for a user who had names User 1 mode “50/1.4” and User 2 “34/2” and so on. This strikes me as being a very convenient method.
- The last point is just the ease of using the larger OVF, which makes focusing a lot easier.

Combined with all the focusing aids (CIF edge outline, SR, etc.) and other convenient features we are used to, it seems like using legacy lenses will be a real pleasure.

In my case, I went through a phase of buying some M and A series lenses. I liked them and was generally happy with the results, but I always found myself using newer lenses over them because of all the button presses required to set them up. It looks like the K-3 III will make this a lot easier. The one I miss most is the M 135/3.5. It was not a fancy lens, but something that doesn’t have a compact modern equivalent. I can see this rekindling my interest in those old used lenses.

Do you have any lenses you’ll be using with the K-3 III? I’m interested in which ones would be good to pick up for use on APS-C.

Last edited by JPT; 03-19-2021 at 09:50 PM.
03-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The ability to set the aperture and ice Av and /TAv modes.
What is "ice"?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-19-2021 at 09:52 PM.
03-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is "ice"?

Steve
Typo - I meant "use"

Apologies. I'll correct.
03-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you have any lenses you’ll be using with the K-3 III?
In terms of vintage non-A glass...I have a lot of that stuff, but will definitely be shooting:
  • KMZ Helios 44K-4 58/2
  • Auto Rikenon 55/1.4 (M42)
  • Auto Rikenon 50/1.7 (M42)
  • XR Rikenon 35/2.8
  • SMC Pentax 100/2.8 Bellows on Bellows Unit K
I am anxious to read the details on any changes to the Pentax-K/M workflow. Beyond the initial wild rumors, I have not kept up on enhancements to support of those lenses.

Steve

03-19-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have any lenses you’ll be using with the K-3 III? I’m interested in which ones would be good to pick up for use on APS-C.
Definitely my Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, that act as Pentax A lenses. They are full frame lenses but work really well on APS-C, and give very nice results.
03-20-2021, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think it'd be great if they put this in their next FF camera (K-1 Mk3 or whatever they end up calling it), itd be interesting how it'll work with 3rd party lenses.
03-20-2021, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I moved over to Pentax nearly 20 years ago mostly because of the backward compatibility with the assemblage of M42 lenses I already had.
I've never had a significant problem with either manual focussing or the use of the "Green Button" (or it's precursor), but anything that makes life easier will be welcome
I'm (almost) committed, in my mind, to buying a K-3iii as soon as one becomes available … just got to decide whether to hang on to the KP or trade it in. The K-70 is certainly staying

03-20-2021, 03:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If they could bring that as a firmware update to the k-1 that would be great. Won't happen ofcourse
03-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who makes a 34mm f2.0?

That would make sense if user1 is 50 f1.4...

-Eric
03-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious to see how this works in person. My Kalt 28mm PK-mount lens is probably of greatest interest to me; my Kiron 28mm f2 PK-mount and Tamron 52B 90mm on a PK-mount adapter also seem like good candidates to use with the K-3 III. All other focal lengths I have covered with -A glass anyway.
03-23-2021, 03:43 AM   #11

The new brighter view finder is, what I am looking for. For all lenses, not just the K and M versions. I often focus manually, also with the AF lenses, just for the fun of it.

This aperture setting for M42, K and M lenses I am not really sure, what to expect. But maybe I get positively surprised.

There are quite some manual lenses I use.

The Trioplan and Primoplan lenses (Meyer Optik Görlitz) are some of my favorite ones.
03-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have quite a few M- and A-lenses in the range 50..20mm which are both used on film (FF) and APS-C but my standard lens is 28mm on FF and 20mm on APS-C (about 30mm equivalent). Actually on APS-C my most used lens is the DA 21 Lim. which is most convenient until now.

If you want 28 mm equivalent lenses on APS-C, there is not much choice. That must be lenses slightly shorter than 20mm. For lenses in this range a few mm makes a big difference.

I have:

Panagor PMC Macro 55mm f/2.8 for Pentax
Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro
Pentax-M 50mm f/4.0 Macro
Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
Pentax-M 40mm f/2.8 Pancake
Pentax-M 35mm f/2.8
Pentax-M 35mm f/2.0
Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8
Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5
Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8
Takumar-A 28mm f/2.8
Pentax-M 20mm f/4.0
Cosina 20mm f/3.8 MC for Pentax
Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 (with adapter for Pentax)

I am not a pixel peeper and I am too lazy to test them thoroughly, the only thing I'm looking for is barrel distortion (I mostly shoot architecture at f/8) and it appears that all these lenses are easily corrected in post. I make my initial choice by reading reviews, notably in the PF database.

The macro lenses are used for copying film (DSLR scanner), they are tested for sharpness and optimum aperture. The preferred type of camera has pixel shift for maximum resolution, which can be the K3-III but for 35mm film the K-70 is already sufficient and cheaper.

I am looking forward to see how these lenses behave on the K3-III, for me an important reason to get this camera. It will be one of the first things to test when it arrives.
03-31-2021, 04:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

There is article in the April issue of Nippon Camera about using old lenses on the K-3 III. The camera itself was reviewed in the March issue, so this is not about the specification of the camera so much a hands-on experience of using different generations of lens on the camera.
Here's the Pentax Story about using MF lenses with the K-3 III:
Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.8 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official
03-31-2021, 04:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Here's the Pentax Story about using MF lenses with the K-3 III:
Product Stories of New APS-C "K-3 Mark III" Vol.8 (Wakashiro) | PENTAX official
- This part of the product stories suggests that TAV and AV can be used with M and A lenses (instead of saying K and M lenses).
- The product announcement page only mentions AV [1].
- The US Ricoh page only mentions TAV [2].
- The user's manual doesn't mention it at all [3].

[1] PENTAX K-3 Mark III
PENTAX K-3 Mark IIIAn APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera, featuring outstanding imaging performance and a range of advanced functions in a compact, sturdy body to define the PENTAX PRINCIPLES?RICOH IMAGING
Compatibility with old lenses without electronic contacts, for shooting in the Av (Aperture-priority) mode and saving the lens focal length as Exif data.

[2] PENTAX K-3 Mark III | Features.
PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Ricoh
Compatibility with classic lenses. It even accommodates the TAv mode.

[3] PENTAX K-3 Mark III User's manual
https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/de_de/mwdownloads/download/link/id/786/
Functions available with various lenses (page 116).
03-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
[3] PENTAX K-3 Mark III User's manual
https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/de_de/mwdownloads/download/link/id/786/
Functions available with various lenses (page 116).
Placeholders and temporary values abound, including the bulk of the main table.

Steve