Show Printable Version 123 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What's that all about??
On top of the "normal" 1.5X APSC ?
Yes.

When [Crop] is set to [1.3x], the cropping frame is displayed in the viewfinder. Perform shooting so that the subject is positioned in the frame.

It can be set in the menus, or more conveniently with the Smart button and dial.

04-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What's that all about??
On top of the "normal" 1.5X APSC ?
Yup. There was a quick mention of it somewhere along the lines of the various trinkets of info before the official reveal.
Page 48 on the right hand side of the owners manual.
04-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I missing something, that thing is available to be ordered? Here we come B&H...
Got excited, not there...
04-03-2021, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Am I missing something, that thing is available to be ordered? Here we come B&H...
Got excited, not there...
They are doing their easter thing.... so a few more days patience is needed.

Some Australians used their great great grand parents skills and snuck in some orders through a back door (we are a country founded on people who used alternate ways to provide...).

04-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Don't forget the additional 1.3x crop mode in the K-3 III as well
I am being a bit dim. Is this like a built in 1.3x tc without the downsides (1.3x F stop)?
04-04-2021, 01:50 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am being a bit dim. Is this like a built in 1.3x tc without the downsides (1.3x F stop)?
This has nothing to do with TC-like operation. It‘s about cropping and not changing an optical formula.

Since there‘s only a single dimensions raw format, it may only concern jpg SOOC shooters.

For raw shooters it would be another help for composing.

But maybe the crop dimensions are also part of the raw file like in Square mode of the k-1. It‘s definitely not reduced sensor read-out like APS-C mode of the k-1.

If such a crop is used by your raw converter depends on your specific raw converter.

Last edited by acoufap; 04-04-2021 at 01:57 AM.
04-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
This has nothing to do with TC-like operation. It‘s about cropping and not changing an optical formula.

Since there‘s only a single dimensions raw format, it may only concern jpg SOOC shooters.

For raw shooters it would be another help for composing.

But maybe the crop dimensions are also part of the raw file like in Square mode of the k-1. It‘s definitely not reduced sensor read-out like APS-C mode of the k-1.

If such a crop is used by your raw converter depends on your specific raw converter.
Thanks 😁 there are a few "features" aimed at jpeg shooters. I thought most of us shot raw lol

04-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Thanks 😁 there are a few "features" aimed at jpeg shooters. I thought most of us shot raw lol
Pentax seems to really be trying to push the “custom image” settings that they have for in-camera JPEGs. If you look at some of the sample images that accompany some of the ambassador “impressions” videos (mainly from Japanese photographers), they specify the custom image setting used right there with the usual EXIF data. While I currently always shoot raw, I am realizing that there are good light situations where I don’t need all that data and figuring out the right in-camera JPEG settings to mimic what I normally do in post in LrC may be more efficient than setting up a present to do things in post. If all I have to do in post is crop and maybe a little dodging and burning, that could be very helpful for something like sports.
04-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Pentax seems to really be trying to push the “custom image” settings that they have for in-camera JPEGs. If you look at some of the sample images that accompany some of the ambassador “impressions” videos (mainly from Japanese photographers), they specify the custom image setting used right there with the usual EXIF data. While I currently always shoot raw, I am realizing that there are good light situations where I don’t need all that data and figuring out the right in-camera JPEG settings to mimic what I normally do in post in LrC may be more efficient than setting up a present to do things in post. If all I have to do in post is crop and maybe a little dodging and burning, that could be very helpful for something like sports.
I have a fuji xe1 with film sims and sometimes use customised jpeg settings in my KP but I do miss the control I have with RAW. I might just have to do a month of jpegs, just to explore the possibilities
04-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I have a fuji xe1 with film sims and sometimes use customised jpeg settings in my KP but I do miss the control I have with RAW. I might just have to do a month of jpegs, just to explore the possibilities
I certainly won’t give up raw for my travel, landscape, wildlife, etc. photography. I won’t even bother with raw+ for them. Daylight sports tends to be a situation where I don’t need to recover shadow detail. That said, I am a bit wary of blowing out highlights on white uniforms in bright sunlight, so maybe I should stick to raw and make myself a preset for LrC. Or, as you suggest, try JPEG only for a set amount of time. It certainly would save me from swapping out memory cards so often!
04-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #41

I get the impression that in Asian cultures, shooting jpeg or processing in camera and posting directly to social media is much more common than in western cultures. I think that is what has made Fuji sell so well and probably why pentax has pored so much effort into sooc processing in the last few models. For those who actually live in Asia, correct me if that's not accurate.
04-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Until the MkIII gets into the hands of software companies like Adobe and in my case DXO so they are able to profile the camera, you may have to learn to deal with the JPWG renderings of the camera.
04-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Until the MkIII gets into the hands of software companies like Adobe and in my case DXO so they are able to profile the camera, you may have to learn to deal with the JPWG renderings of the camera.
I should DNG, so I’m thinking everything should be fine. I got the impression that some of the ambassadors were shooting raw and able to open in LrC just fine.
04-05-2021, 03:53 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a discussion about this in Digital Processing, Software, and PrintingWhat to expect from K3 iii and various processing programs?

To repeat what's said there - if you shoot RAW in DNG format, Lightroom and ACR will recognize and load. If you shoot in PEF the format won't be recognised until Adobe has updated the software.
(can't speak for any other RAW processing software)
04-06-2021, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pre-Ordered a black MkIII body from B&H an hour or so ago!! Now the wait begins!