Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Since the time that Ricoh Imaging provided early information on the K-3 Mark III, I have been compiling a table of the advantages or benefits that I perceive over my K-3 II.
Good idea and nice work!
What about your recent thread with the same topic?
K-3 Mark III Flagship -- Advantages over the K-3 II - PentaxForums.com

I found some alternative side-to-side comparisions:

From what I have gleaned from the Operating Manual, use of Astrotracer requires the off-board O-GPS1 unit.
I opted to omit 'disadvantages' in my table, because I was focusing on all the many benefits compared to the K-3 II.
There are two options for receiving GPS data with the K-3 III: O-GPS1 and Smartphone over Bluetooth with Image Sync 2 app.
So from a functional point of view there's no disadvantage.

Last edited by angerdan; 04-03-2021 at 04:24 AM.
04-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One disadvantage for me is the viewfinder reduced diopter range on the positive side, from +1.5 to +1 (on the negative side it is extended from -2.5 to -4). In Europe none of the Ricoh representations has +1 diopters in stock, and none of the photo shops I checked. So now I'm hoping a Magnifying Eyecup O-ME53 can serve as a replacement, or I must cut a lens myself from reading glasses.
04-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
Quick question: the LI90 battery is 7.2 volts but can be charged via USB.

Should the voltage not be 7.2 volts minimum ? USB is only 5 volts.

Am I missing something ?

Gary
Even if the USB has 5 volts it can charge a battery of 7.2 volts. Battery charging is all about the mAh. The life of a battery is measured in mAh and if you use the battery the camera uses the mAh. So if the mAh reaches a minimum value the camera will indicate that it has to be charged. You can use a dedicated charger or use the (universal) USB charger. The dedicated one will be the quicker charger (and usually has an higher output voltage than an USB charging device).

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 04-02-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: technical problem printed my text twice
04-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Am I missing something ?

Gary
Yes, you are missing the fact it is equipped with USB-C, which has a range of power delivery modes that use higher voltages and currents than those associated with the basic USB standard. The limit with USB Power Delivery is dependent on all parts of the chain - supply, cable and recipient device. Up to 20v and 5A can be specified (100W), but I believe the K-3iii is using somewhat less...

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Even if the USB has 5 volts it can charge a battery of 7.2 volts. Battery charging is all about the mAh. The life of a battery is measured in mAh and if you use the battery the camera uses the mAh. So if the mAh reaches a minimum value the camera will indicate that it has to be charged. You can use a dedicated charger or use the (universal) USB charger. The dedicated one will be the quicker charger (and usually has an higher output voltage than an USB charging device).
Not quite...

04-02-2021, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick question: the LI90 battery is 7.2 volts but can be charged via USB.Should the voltage not be 7.2 volts minimum ? USB is only 5 volts.
Yes, you're correct.

The camera comes with the AC-U1/U2 USB power adapter, which has a specified output voltage of 5.0 volts DC at a current of 1000 milliamps (5 watts).

The D-LI90 battery has a nominal voltage of 7.2 volts, and it needs to be charged at a voltage higher than that. A small, simple DC-to-DC converter circuit in the camera can take care of supplying a voltage of, say, 8.4 V. The converter would be in the form of a small chip.

Note that the standard AC power charger for other Pentax cameras -- the D-BC90 -- has an output of 8.4 V at 400 mA (3.36 watts). The low current rating accounts for the relatively long maximum charging time of around 6.5 hours for the D-LI90. The higher rating of the new USB power adapter reduces the maximum charging time to 4.5 hours according to the Operating Manual.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-02-2021 at 03:25 PM.
04-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
One disadvantage for me is the viewfinder reduced diopter range on the positive side, from +1.5 to +1 (on the negative side it is extended from -2.5 to -4). In Europe none of the Ricoh representations has +1 diopters in stock, and none of the photo shops I checked. So now I'm hoping a Magnifying Eyecup O-ME53 can serve as a replacement, or I must cut a lens myself from reading glasses.
I could never find a -12.5 diopter (no - that's not a typo) viewfinder lens for my K-5 IIs so I had to wear my coke-bottle-bottom glasses or contacts. A replacement lens in my eye courtesy of cataract surgery solved the problem! Just another option, though it may not be widely applicable.
04-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The camera still has astrotracer capabilities built in
It does in the same sense that my K-3 has astrotracer built in, that being only with the O-GPS1 attached to the hot shoe.

Steve

04-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Curious. Field curvature? The fact that it's listed as "As of October 2020" could indicate that it may be fixed in subsequent firmware, or more likely that new lenses may be added to the list later.
Interestingly, the DA12-24 is not on the 'won't work' list.
04-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

1. The camera comes with the AC-U1/U2 USB power adapter, which has a specified output voltage of 5.0 volts DC at a current of 1000 milliamps (5 watts).
  2. The higher rating of the new USB power adapter reduces the maximum charging time to 4.5 hours according to the Operating Manual.
  1. There's only one USB power supply fron Pentax for the K-3 III: D-AC166 wich delivers 5V / 3A, 9V / 3A and 12 / 3A (36 W).
    http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/accessory/battery/img/bod_img_10.jpg
    Battery Accessories for Digital-SLR | Accessories | Products | RICOH IMAGING
  2. According to Pentax Press release the charging time of the new USB charger with the USB power supply is 2.5h.
    Following sources does confirm this:
    High Speed Charger for PENTAX Standard Rechargeable Battery D-LI90
    Battery Accessories for Digital-SLR | Accessories | Products | RICOH IMAGING
These informations are part of my post in the thread about the new USB charger and written in November 2020):
New Ricoh Charger - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
04-02-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
There's only one USB power supply fron Pentax for the K-3 III: D-AC166 wich delivers 5V / 3A, 9V / 3A and 12 / 3A (36 W).
Thanks, @angerdan.

We should clarify this.

I was referring to the parts that are included with the K-3 Mark III. According to the Operating Manual (page 8, English version), the camera comes with a "USB power adapter" AC-U1 or AC-U2, its plug, and a USB cable. The manual provides the specifications for the AC-U1/U2. The Ricoh Imaging website also lists these items in the "Package Contents."

Are you referring to optional accessories? I might have missed something when I read the manual and website.

I recall your earlier posts concerning the faster battery charger. That would be an attractive accessory.

- Craig
04-02-2021, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thank you for this

you are a troublemaker

fighting a severe case of GAS now

that silver special looks interesting
FWIW..... you are repeating a pattern of behaviour here when it comes to pentax equipment...... my suggestion is to save yourself all this...... and just order one ASAP! There are only so many special kits and the aussies have already bought most of them......
04-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Are you referring to optional accessories? I might have missed something when I read the manual and website.
It seems this could be an option.
But i wonder that the're no images of the charger and no mentions outside of the OPM/user manual.
04-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I could never find a -12.5 diopter (no - that's not a typo) viewfinder lens for my K-5 IIs so I had to wear my coke-bottle-bottom glasses or contacts. A replacement lens in my eye courtesy of cataract surgery solved the problem! Just another option, though it may not be widely applicable.
Cataract surgery – the best lens purchase I ever made! I went from trifocals to readers, and now I use the camera with no glasses. I keep readers in my pocket to chimp and look at an image on the LCD, but maybe I won't even have to do this with the improved LCD on the K-3-3.
04-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #29

The ambassador Stephen Obermeier mentions in his initial review video at youtube (typed transcript in English on that site) that the traditional non-USB charger will be an optional accessory for the K-3 III and not shipped with the body. Only the USB equipment will be packaged with the standard camera body.
04-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I missing something ?

Gary
I think they use step up transformers or other ways to get the voltage up for this kind of problem, there will be some kind of internal magic to do so

Edit, CAM already answered this much better than I!