Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 11:44 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advantages of K-3 Mark III over the K-3 II

Since the time that Ricoh Imaging provided early information on the K-3 Mark III, I have been compiling a table of the advantages or benefits that I perceive over my K-3 II.

I've attached the two-page PDF document here, in case others may wish to have a summary of the features and performance of selected parameters. A number of the advantages would also apply to other Pentax models.

I think that I've captured all of the salient items, but may have missed a few.

- Craig

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentax K-3 Mark III advantages.pdf (465.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-20-2021 at 05:09 PM.
04-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you for this

you are a troublemaker

fighting a severe case of GAS now

that silver special looks interesting

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-02-2021 at 12:08 PM.
04-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dropped multi exposure from 2000 down to 20
Appear to have removed interval movie record
Unable to use new outside focus points with DA15LTD and DA21LTD

Increased number of user modes from 3 to 5
Increased interval shooting number from 2000 to 9999
Face priority metering
Turn on and off viewfinder info display bellow the viewfinder view
Flash sync goes from 1/180 to 1/200.

Sorry if you got these already.

Last edited by Painter; 04-02-2021 at 12:33 PM.
04-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are a troublemaker
I try to do my part!

04-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Advantages of K-3 Mark III over the K-3 II
Thanks!

Of course there are a few disadvantages as well in the form of lost features, but I don't see anything that is particularly critical.

Steve
04-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Sorry if you got these already.
Thanks.

The table captures the sync speed, but not the other three advantages. I've been happy with the three User Modes of my K-3 II, so more is not necessarily an advantage to me.

There are a number of areas in which some folks will rightly see disadvantages, such as requiring the use of the off-board O-GPS1 unit to enable the Astrotracer function.

Good point about the coverage of focus points for certain lenses. I noticed that in the Op. Manual (page 117, English version).

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-02-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Clarify Astrotracer
04-02-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

Thanks for this!

One note: the updated menu system is "steamlined" talk about retro

04-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
One note: the updated menu system is "steamlined" talk about retro
Big LOL!

It's a new, undisclosed feature.

- Craig
04-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The table captures the sync speed, but not the other three advantages. I've been happy with the three User Modes of my K-3 II, so more is not necessarily an advantage to me.
I have set up only one user mode on my K-70, but I think in part thatís been because I have struggled to decide what would be so critical to make one of the three slots. With the K-3 iii, you actually get ten boxes for user modes and assign any five to the dial at a time. I think that makes it even more useful. And with the smart function allowing you to subset which aspects of a feature are available in the smart function when you set up a user mode, it gets even better. I would likely set my white balance more often (rather than just adjusting in post) if I have some sort of user mode set up for outdoor photography and then limit the WB in smart function to what one would realistically encounter. Itís kind of having more options now will make it easier to have just the options we need.

There are a number of areas in which some folks will rightly see disadvantages, like loss of on-board Astrotracer.
Loss of on-board GPS. The camera still has astrotracer capabilities built in, so itís misleading to say something other than loss of on-board GPS, and we are seeing some who havenít looked into the manual thinking the camera doesnít have astrotracer capabilities at all, so itís best to emphasize that this is a change on the GPS front.
04-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The camera still has astrotracer capabilities built in, so it’s misleading to say something other than loss of on-board GPS
Thanks. I'll edit my post there.

From what I have gleaned from the Operating Manual, use of Astrotracer requires the off-board O-GPS1 unit.

I opted to omit 'disadvantages' in my table, because I was focusing on all the many benefits compared to the K-3 II.

- Craig
04-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the time that Ricoh Imaging provided early information on the K-3 Mark III, I have been compiling a table of the advantages or benefits that I perceive over my K-3 II.

I've attached the two-page PDF document here, in case others may wish to have a summary of the features and performance of selected parameters. A number of the advantages would also apply to other Pentax models.

I think that I've captured all of the salient items, but may have missed a few.
To me,

1. improved graceful handling of high ISO values
2. better viewfinder
3. eye AF
by themselves justify the K-3ii, and I would probably purchase a K-90 if it has (2) and (3)
{my KP already basically has (1) already}
04-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Good point about the coverage of focus points for certain lenses. I noticed that in the Op. Manual (page 117, English version).
Curious. Field curvature? The fact that it's listed as "As of October 2020" could indicate that it may be fixed in subsequent firmware, or more likely that new lenses may be added to the list later.
04-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The D500 has similar restrictions (less AF points available with certain lenses). I would be curious to know the technical reason... if it can be explained in terms I'd understand
04-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #14

Quick question: the LI90 battery is 7.2 volts but can be charged via USB.

Should the voltage not be 7.2 volts minimum ? USB is only 5 volts.

Am I missing something ?

Gary
04-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice work Craig.

You mention the improved SR, but may be worth adding that it is a 5-axis system (this was a plus in the KP over the K-3ii).

You mention the higher image quality, but since this is such a central point it might be worth breaking up (e.g. low ISO and high ISO). The accelerator unit alone is a big upgrade from the K-3ii.

You mention reduced shutter shake. But Ricoh have also much of the experience of the smooth and quiet shutter. Several "first impressions" videos have also mentioned it.

HDR RAW (I don't think this was in the K-3ii). @acoufap has showed the value of this in the KP (HDR Mode - PentaxForums.com)

The manual doesn't say, but something makes me think there is an option for 5-shot bracketing.

Last edited by Des; 04-02-2021 at 02:14 PM.