Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 11:18 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Agreed.

While it is nice DPR has not been quite so openly hostile towards Pentax in recent years, there still exists a 'soft snark' in almost every mention or review. They simply can not compliment the brand
without simultaneously qualifying in someway to justify their Canikony/mirrorless bias. Thus, even when Pentax release a real winner, (K-3, K-1, KP et al), DPR will still insist it will only appeal to Pentax
diehards and that, at best, it represents the last gasp of a dying brand.
Been a long last gasp huh?

04-03-2021, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Been a long last gasp huh?
The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.
04-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Let them die before our gear.
04-03-2021, 12:35 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who cares what they think

Stopped reading them completely after the 645 debacle. And after they trashed the limited lenses… A bunch of idiots. And corrupt ones at that.

IMHO.

Cheers,
Cameron

04-03-2021, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Seems like an excellent camera body, according to what I've just read in the link provided by the OP, and BTW, thx you for posting.

I've had Pentax gear since 1968 and currently have a K10D, Km, K5, K1 and Ricoh GR , along with a bunch of lenses and accessories from this venerable manufacturer. Mostly I've been an enthusiast, but for a few years I also earned my crust of bread with the Pentax brand.

BTW, I have other equipment from other companies, both film and digital...but Pentax has always been my main line....and why not. The equipment has proven to be reliable, durable, high quality photographic equipment. After reading this review, it seems as those traditions continue in the Pentax tradition.
04-04-2021, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On the conclusion of this one, DPR is not negative really. It's quite promising in fact. let's see what they will say when they really test the camera.
04-04-2021, 02:37 AM - 11 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I can see - not speaking directly about DPR staff but more generally - most hostility to brands (as opposed to not personally caring for their products) is actually dislike of their fan-base. I've noticed in myself how I've warmed to Nikon in the last decade as their fans have become less arrogant. So I think that we have a duty to be fair and measured on other sites (and I think those of us who comment regularly of Pentax threads on DPR generally are) , not bash other brands (dittto with adjusted grammar) politely correct mistakes, not react to trolls, not look for slights, acknowledge Pentax's weaknesses and not exaggerate their strengths, let enthusiasm be genuine and not triumphalist and generally be good ambassadors for the brand. Fairly or not, our defensiveness and over-aggressive calling out of reviewers has become one of the things people hold against Pentax, and that's in our control.

04-04-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
From what I can see - not speaking directly about DPR staff but more generally - most hostility to brands (as opposed to not personally caring for their products) is actually dislike of their fan-base. I've noticed in myself how I've warmed to Nikon in the last decade as their fans have become less arrogant. So I think that we have a duty to be fair and measured on other sites (and I think those of us who comment regularly of Pentax threads on DPR generally are) , not bash other brands (dittto with adjusted grammar) politely correct mistakes, not react to trolls, not look for slights, acknowledge Pentax's weaknesses and not exaggerate their strengths, let enthusiasm be genuine and not triumphalist and generally be good ambassadors for the brand. Fairly or not, our defensiveness and over-aggressive calling out of reviewers has become one of the things people hold against Pentax, and that's in our control.
I do think it is hard when reviewers go into a review assuming (1) The time of SLRs is past and (2) The particular brand you shoot is likely to meet its demise soon. Even if they grudgingly admit that the camera is nice or a lens is nice, they are bound to stick in a little bit about how much nicer the mirrorless landscape is.

I don't call them out on this stuff, but Class A has done a good job of identifying this sort of language and they eventually clean it up.
04-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m not actually seeing this hands on so negatives as it has been before. I’m actually looking a bit forward of how they will find it in their test. Just because it propably will be the ’worse case’ scenario. Also it is great to see result of this camera in Pentaxians hands, because they can make it sing at highest note. So, let’s have it. We know that bicycle test is passed already.
04-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Its hard to be negative when you dont have the finished thing. This preview stuff is where Pentax does well, ergonomics etc. There is more scope for negativity in the actual review where hard specs and detailed implementations are looked into.

Saying that I do think Pentax leaving more ground between itself and the mainstream will help reviews. Omitting flip screen and emphasising the viewfinder signals clearly that this is different.
04-04-2021, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do think it is hard when reviewers go into a review assuming (1) The time of SLRs is past and (2) The particular brand you shoot is likely to meet its demise soon. Even if they grudgingly admit that the camera is nice or a lens is nice, they are bound to stick in a little bit about how much nicer the mirrorless landscape is.
I don't like those assumptions either, and yes, they irritate me and no, I'm not being an apologist for DPR, but I do think it's better to assume good faith and react when that trust is undeniably broken than to assume bad faith and act accordingly.

And yes, ClassA is polite and sticks to facts - I don't actually think that any of the people I recognise from PF are exacerbating the problems there with their comments - my intention is just a general comment that for better or worse many people judge a brand by its users and we can help the brand(s) we like by remembering that.
04-04-2021, 04:35 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't like those assumptions either, and yes, they irritate me and no, I'm not being an apologist for DPR, but I do think it's better to assume good faith and react when that trust is undeniably broken than to assume bad faith and act accordingly.

And yes, ClassA is polite and sticks to facts - I don't actually think that any of the people I recognise from PF are exacerbating the problems there with their comments - my intention is just a general comment that for better or worse many people judge a brand by its users and we can help the brand(s) we like by remembering that.
I don't know that Sony and Canon users are so much better -- they are just in the position of having a camera brand that releases a lot more gear. But the comments sections show them to be pretty antagonistic as well. I suppose there are fanboys of every camera out there.
04-04-2021, 04:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that Sony and Canon users are so much better
I'm sure that's true, but, like it or not, Northrup's "Attack of the Pentaxians" follow up to his K-1 review typifies what a lot of people think - I do think things are getting better, and more people recognise the genuine quality of the gear Ricoh are producing, but memes stick in people's heads a long time
04-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm sure that's true, but, like it or not, Northrup's "Attack of the Pentaxians" follow up to his K-1 review typifies what a lot of people think - I do think things are getting better, and more people recognise the genuine quality of the gear Ricoh are producing, but memes stick in people's heads a long time
It's most convenient to support mindless, aggressive brand bashing by attacking the ones who'd oppose it.

Or to get regular views from the worst of the Internet, those who engage in such mindless brand bashing - and enjoy seeing it around. Bullying a small group is the best way of getting quantity.
04-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

So I think that we have a duty to be fair and measured on other sites (and I think those of us who comment regularly of Pentax threads on DPR generally are) , not bash other brands (dittto with adjusted grammar) politely correct mistakes, not react to trolls, not look for slights, acknowledge Pentax's weaknesses and not exaggerate their strengths, let enthusiasm be genuine and not triumphalist and generally be good ambassadors for the brand.
Very well put and I 100% agree.