Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I don't understand why they did not use a moving person for the test. This still keeps us in suspense
Simple: no time + covid.

04-21-2021, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

I would not to hurt anyone but the tracking performances of the k-1 were already excellent.
04-21-2021, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #213
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Small number of real users (not ambassadors) in Japan who pre-ordered K-3III from Ricoh Imaging Store got the camera a week earlier than others (they applied for and were successfully selected as "early monitors"), and they've been posting on social media.

Interesting tweet relevant to this thread is a nice picture of a swallow flying toward the camera shot with F*300 (!!) using AF-C. The person notes that "Flying swallow is easy" and could be done without problem though there were some with missed focus too. The setting the person shared is nothing special (AF-C, AF hold low, Expanded Area L?). I don't want to copy and post the picture shot by others so I'll just link to the tweet.
https://twitter.com/ammichimot/status/1384435196397752320
04-21-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #214
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I would not to hurt anyone but the tracking performances of the k-1 were already excellent.
For static subject in AF-S yes. But AF-C is not that good... I have the K1 and took picture of a friend walking towards me and only 1 picture was in focus from overall. In wildlife photography sometime it misses the focus on subject almost static.

For me the AF on K1 is not that good unfortunately.

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 07:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Small number of real users (not ambassadors) in Japan who pre-ordered K-3III from Ricoh Imaging Store got the camera a week earlier than others (they applied for and were successfully selected as "early monitors"), and they've been posting on social media.

Interesting tweet relevant to this thread is a nice picture of a swallow flying toward the camera shot with F*300 (!!) using AF-C. The person notes that "Flying swallow is easy" and could be done without problem though there were some with missed focus too. The setting the person shared is nothing special (AF-C, AF hold low, Expanded Area L?). I don't want to copy and post the picture shot by others so I'll just link to the tweet.
👍🏼 and looking by the tag, he uploaded other pictures and a record of image sync from his iPhone. We can see the transfer speed of raw files. It’s very fast compared to the K-1...

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/pentaxk_3iii?src=hashtag_click

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 07:44 PM ----------

Wow that’s insane how fast is the boot... https://mobile.twitter.com/ammichimot/status/1383746770463649801

Last edited by bencoskater; 04-21-2021 at 04:41 PM.
04-21-2021, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #215
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
For static subject in AF-S yes. But AF-C is not that good... I have the K1 and took picture of a friend walking towards me and only 1 picture was in focus from overall.
I'm gonna guess poor technique, Ben ... what did you focus on?

Focus is a skill. But if I can do it, anyone can ...

04-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Excellent point.
04-21-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #217
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

I agree with you. try when the guy is in front of you note walking aside and with a 50mm opened at f1.4.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeXaRBHu8L/?igshid=fxj36kjbw0p

Anyway this is a thread for k3 3. I don’t want to pollute the thread.

Last edited by bencoskater; 04-21-2021 at 07:12 PM.
04-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you already have with your previous post.
04-21-2021, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty nifty shot, looks like pretty good tracking A/F to me. I'm convinced!! But some will still want to hold out for more convincing negatives about the camera and say its not worth the money. I'm a total "cheapskate but I've preordered one and I'm totally pumped.
04-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Faster and better yes. But you mistake eye-tracking with eye-detection.

Eye tracking is the process of measuring either the point of gaze (where one is looking) or the motion of an eye relative to the head.
Eye tracking - Wikipedia

The Face and eye-detection of the K-3 III allows the AF to track eyes with the fokus-points.
Ah hah said the Blind Man as he fumbled with his AF-C .! Thanks for the correction and I would gladly take either feature in a heartbeat, especially if eye tracking could somehow allow one to move the focus point with just moving where your gaze was looking at in the viewfinder!
04-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #221
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you. try when the guy is in front of you note walking aside and with a 50mm opened at f1.4.
Login ? Instagram

Ah, see, you didn't answer my question about focusing technique, Bencoskater.

I find most people can't articulate their process for shooting action, so it comes as no surprise their pictures can be haphazard.

So, you need to focus on a particular line on the target and keep that single focus point on the line, that's how PDAF works.

As he approaches, the composition will change, you will be letting the focus point drift from your original target unless you move to compensate.

I would have chosen *the bottom edge of his sunglasses*.

Shooting a moving subject is very different from taking a picture of a flower. Flowers don't move in the frame.

Last edited by clackers; 04-21-2021 at 10:08 PM.
04-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #222

For static subject in AF-S yes. But AF-C is not that good... I have the K1 and took picture of a friend walking towards me and only 1 picture was in focus from overall. In wildlife photography sometime it misses the focus on subject almost static.
My experience also differs Bencoskater and, like Andrea above, I find the AFC on my K1ii good enough in most circumstances. I'm not going to get a shot of a swallow flying towards me (unless it is a lucky shot), but I get a high keeper rate on outdoor sports and pretty good for indoor sports like basketball (@F2.8). I would expect 100% sharp photos of someone walking towards me at F2.8+ and more than 5m away. I haven't tried with the DFA at F1.4 but I would think the focus tracking would be good.

I recently posted in another thread (This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 36 - PentaxForums.com) some shots of a young woman playing softball and sprinting from 3rd base to home base, and running away from me (DFA 150-450mm at 250mm, 1/2000s, F7.1) and all 15 shots were tack sharp. I've shown 4 of the pics in the thread. Her velocity on the z-axis would be 3-4 times greater than walking speed and the AFC had no trouble keeping up. So I think the K1 AFC is much better that you have stated. The bigger issue for me is the 4fps and the K3iii is looking very promising with improved AFC and 11fps.
04-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #223
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
My experience also differs Bencoskater and, like Andrea above, I find the AFC on my K1ii good enough in most circumstances. I'm not going to get a shot of a swallow flying towards me (unless it is a lucky shot), but I get a high keeper rate on outdoor sports and pretty good for indoor sports like basketball (@F2.8). I would expect 100% sharp photos of someone walking towards me at F2.8+ and more than 5m away. I haven't tried with the DFA at F1.4 but I would think the focus tracking would be good.

I recently posted in another thread (This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 36 - PentaxForums.com) some shots of a young woman playing softball and sprinting from 3rd base to home base, and running away from me (DFA 150-450mm at 250mm, 1/2000s, F7.1) and all 15 shots were tack sharp. I've shown 4 of the pics in the thread. Her velocity on the z-axis would be 3-4 times greater than walking speed and the AFC had no trouble keeping up. So I think the K1 AFC is much better that you have stated. The bigger issue for me is the 4fps and the K3iii is looking very promising with improved AFC and 11fps.
Yeah I’ve seen your shots, they’re great by the way. I didn’t have issue either in this condition. The K1 II AF has been improved to the K1. By the way I have a doubt if it’s in AF-S or AF-C (I think it’s in AF-C, I’ll double check). My subject was far and comes closely towards me. It’s also insane from me to shoot at 1.4 😜

Otherwise for static subject in af-s, it’s fine

Exactly why I’m eager to receive my k3 III. Even the booting looks faster than my K1, sometime I miss wildlife shots because it takes time to wake up from sleep mode 😭

I keep my K1 for portraits and landscape photography. The k3 III will be my wildlife/action camera
04-22-2021, 01:11 AM   #224
Pentaxian

For me the AF on K1 is not that good unfortunately.[COLOR="Silver"]
I have the K-1 Mk II and I can obtain acceptable results. This is an example: From a k-1 user real world impressions about the k-1 II - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

I can add also this:
04-22-2021, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #225
Veteran Member

F*300/4.5 on K1 5 yrs ago... it's going to take a while to work out what real difference is to be had.... but it will be fun.