Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 481 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2021, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #676
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF-c in auto mode is very effective. And since last update it is even better, I do figure that it is just going to get better in future. For action and for subject recognition there is no real need for other settings, unless of course one want to have full controll and use center spot. (I’m now using center spot for macro or when I want to take my time and enjoy full control and good old spot, it is very fast and precise too)

I when with old Pentax my camera missed really simple AF task for about 50%(Why I took always 3-5 shots to be sure to get atleast 1 good) now it is in similar scene something like 10-20 % when there is fail and I’m not sure if these were camera or my fault actually. I’v learned to use my Pentax but with this new K-3III I’m still amazed and happy, as it seem to get better all the time.

I like my K-1 and now using it more, image quality is very nice still. But it just feels so old now. Silly how it goes. I’m looking forward of new K-1 to get as good companion to my K-3III with even better image quality if they put what ever magic in it what they did with this camera. Really only thing K-1 is better or is in ’lead’ is resolution and control with Dof. DR Gap has been narrowed as well as colour is really spot on. In difficult light too(mixed natural and human made light).

08-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #677
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Great example of just how much improved the AFC is on the K33.

"AF.C Auto", means all 101 AF points "active"?
Or were you using 'expanded area Medium"?

And what was the shutter speed?
1/1600?
Yes, the first of the full 'Auto' modes with all focus points active. These were all shot at 1/1000s, f4, ISO either 100 or 125 (I think I was in Av for these). Latest firmware 1.10.

I hardly ever use anything other than SEL S (the single point, in the centre) as I don't trust the camera to guess where I want to focus, but I think these kinds of quick point-and-grab BIF shots are one of the few cases where the full auto mode makes sense, as it's easy for the AF to pick the subject, and you don't need to get the subject in the middle of the frame for it to pick it up and start tracking. Of course, the real test will be how well it can hang on to the subject if it transitions in front of a cluttered background. I've not had a chance to test that yet, but some others on here seem to have had promising results.

Last edited by speagles2; 08-15-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo, added firmware info
08-15-2021, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #678
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by speagles2 Quote
I hardly ever use anything other than SEL S (the single point, in the centre) as I don't trust the camera to guess where I want to focus,
With the K-3 iii, when not using auto (and I have taken to using it almost all the time) you should definitely shift to using a SEL mode where you use the nifty joystick to move the focus point to where you want to focus. I have one of my smart functions set up change between three of my most common AF setups, and one is AF.S with the joystick control over the selected focus point.
08-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #679
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
With the K-3 iii, when not using auto (and I have taken to using it almost all the time) you should definitely shift to using a SEL mode where you use the nifty joystick to move the focus point to where you want to focus. I have one of my smart functions set up change between three of my most common AF setups, and one is AF.S with the joystick control over the selected focus point.
Yes, AF.S with SEL S is my standard mode and I've been using the joystick a bit to select focus points, something I didn't really bother with with the K-3 with the extra button press involved - but old habits die hard and I still tend to find myself focusing using the centre focus point & recomposing more often than not :-)

08-22-2021, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #680
Forum Member

One question
(sure already answered) : does the eye or face AFC in Auto mode also worked in vertical use of the camera (not landscape)?
There are two or three smal videos on YouTube (thanks to the contribution) that shows the eye AF through the OVF... but only in landscape direction of the camera.
08-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #681

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
... after learning about the dot tune/green hexagon method.
Sorry, what is this method?
08-22-2021, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #682
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grokh Quote
Sorry, what is this method?

08-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #683

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks!!!
08-31-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #684
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
One question
(sure already answered) : does the eye or face AFC in Auto mode also worked in vertical use of the camera (not landscape)?
There are two or three smal videos on YouTube (thanks to the contribution) that shows the eye AF through the OVF... but only in landscape direction of the camera.
Yes it does.
My test was holding the camera at arm's length, AF.C, Full Auto, hold down the shutter and fire continuously while moving the camera around me. Out of 20 ish shots, it missed about 5 or 6. Keep in mind that I couldn't see the viewfinder to know where the AF array was.
The first image is obviously the back of the camera.
The second image is 100% zoom on what the focus point was
The 3rd image is the center of the frame at 100% zoom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L04  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L04  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
VOG-L04  Photo 

Last edited by Kobie; 08-31-2021 at 06:15 PM.
09-01-2021, 06:56 AM - 7 Likes   #685
Forum Member

Had the opportunity to try out AF.C Auto tracking seagulls against the background of the surf. Had a couple of misses where it focused on the sea instead of the bird, but for the most part it picked up the bird and tracked it accurately in spite of the noisy background. This was with the FA 77 as that was what I happened to have on the camera at the time, so these are heavy crops - the bird was pretty small in the frame.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
09-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was with the FA 77 as that was what I happened to have on the camera at the time, so these are heavy crops - the bird was pretty small in the frame.
...My K-1 does not do that with the 77 . Waaay to get me excited for the next full frame.
09-02-2021, 02:27 AM - 3 Likes   #687
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
...My K-1 does not do that with the 77 . Waaay to get me excited for the next full frame.
I’v stopped using my K-1 for now, unless I need that extra resolution. K-3III is so much more fun and image quality is actually very nice too. Let us see if they will (hopefully) make that K-1III as snappy as this one.
09-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had the opportunity to try out AF.C Auto tracking seagulls against the background of the surf. Had a couple of misses where it focused on the sea instead of the bird, but for the most part it picked up the bird and tracked it accurately in spite of the noisy background. This was with the FA 77 as that was what I happened to have on the camera at the time, so these are heavy crops - the bird was pretty small in the frame.
Nice set of images, the Mk III and the FA 77 seem to work well together. What drive mode were you in??
09-06-2021, 04:11 PM - 4 Likes   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to this thread, I updated my firmware today, and went out to a puppy meet up with our puppy and two other 5 month old Australian Shepherds. GREAT test for the K3iii's AF. It does so well! Not 100% keeper rate, but really brilliant, lots of wonderful captures with a DA35mm. This was a challenging test, the dogs move constantly, and are really quite fast at this age. I can confidently say (from tons of experience) the K3 would have had a 0% keeper rate in these conditions with AFC mode, the K3iii is great. What's super interesting is in high drive mode, you can even see how one frame might be out of focus, and then it's locked on subject and you're good.

Even with a updated camera, operator skill is still a big factor in success (I feel like people forget this talking about AF on forums). I think in time I'll get even better at tracking subjects and working with the auto focus. It is *good*.
09-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Thanks to this thread, I updated my firmware today, and went out to a puppy meet up with our puppy and two other 5 month old Australian Shepherds. GREAT test for the K3iii's AF. It does so well! Not 100% keeper rate, but really brilliant, lots of wonderful captures with a DA35mm. This was a challenging test, the dogs move constantly, and are really quite fast at this age. I can confidently say (from tons of experience) the K3 would have had a 0% keeper rate in these conditions with AFC mode, the K3iii is great. What's super interesting is in high drive mode, you can even see how one frame might be out of focus, and then it's locked on subject and you're good.

Even with a updated camera, operator skill is still a big factor in success (I feel like people forget this talking about AF on forums). I think in time I'll get even better at tracking subjects and working with the auto focus. It is *good*.
This new DA*16-50 as well as older 55-300PLM(I don't own either -yet- ) should give even better performance. I have had shots in focus which I would have never even dreamed to get with any other Pentax camera AND I'm using my excisting lenses. Best AF happens with lenses with DC and DFA*70-200 with it's SDM is also quite fast. Even DA*16-50SDM is precise even if it is not much faster due that weak SDM, it is still much better.

I'm saving up my pennies for 16-50 PLM and will propably get that 55-300 PLM too, just because I think that his will lift K-3III on that level that it can be. Shooting fast moving doggies or kids in my case(my daughter is fast now adays) is no sweat anymore good times