Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tethering

Does the K3-III support tethering in LR like the K-I/II and 645Z, with a USB cable vs WiFi?

04-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the specs, via wifi and/or bluetooth.
According to the manual, also via USB as for the K-1.

Having said that, I've never tried connecting my K-1ii to Lightroom directly.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the ambassadors (the Korean portrait photographer whose name I’m too lazy to look up now) mentions very briefly in his video that the USB 3.0 tethering to the computer is very fast. He does not, however, talk about if it’s directly to LrC or if he’s using the Image Transmitter software that seems impossible to buy at the moment.
04-08-2021, 12:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
One of the ambassadors (the Korean portrait photographer whose name I’m too lazy to look up now) mentions very briefly in his video that the USB 3.0 tethering to the computer is very fast. He does not, however, talk about if it’s directly to LrC or if he’s using the Image Transmitter software that seems impossible to buy at the moment.
You can download image transmitter direct from Ricoh.
IMAGE Transmitter 2 | RICOH IMAGING

04-08-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
You can download image transmitter direct from Ricoh.
IMAGE Transmitter 2 | RICOH IMAGING
Unfortunately, that's merely an updater. You have to have purchased and installed the original software for it to do anything.
04-08-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #6

Unfortunately, that's merely an updater. You have to have purchased and installed the original software for it to do anything.
My K-3 Mark3 cannot be connected or invalid connected via tether or Wi-Fi. because, this is just prototype, not complete version.
and currently, Lightroom-plugin from RICOH Imaging web-site is not prepared for K-3 Mark3 yet.

but I'm sure K-3 Mark3 should be available that soon. just wait a time : )
and if that is connected, it will be verrrrrrry fast!

ps. Caution: tether plug-in for Lightroom and ImageTransmitter are different programs.
04-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible that the same type of workaround that had to be done for DCU5 would work for this? We just need to know what the coded name would be in order to do it.

04-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Is it possible that the same type of workaround that had to be done for DCU5 would work for this? We just need to know what the coded name would be in order to do it.
Nope. The installer checks that the earlier version is already installed on the computer, not that you have the original install media.
04-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

Nope. The installer checks that the earlier version is already installed on the computer, not that you have the original install media.
I can confirm that the old renaming trick doesn’t work, but there are other tricks that do.
The MAC version is a trivial workaround needing just one line code in the Terminal.
The windows one is a bit more involved but possible and needs one of the earlier updates in .MSI format.
04-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I can confirm that the old renaming trick doesn’t work, but there are other tricks that do.
The MAC version is a trivial workaround needing just one line code in the Terminal.
The windows one is a bit more involved but possible and needs one of the earlier updates in .MSI format.
Good grief, that workaround is easy on Mac. I figured out which command line tool had to be used and would have even guessed the right way to use it, but I decided to give a quick Google with that command line program's name in it and it turned up a useful post of yours here that confirmed my suspicions. Thanks!
10-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 III got compatible with IT2:
Firmware 1.2 for Pentax K-3 mark iii and use of Image Transmitter 2 v2.6.0 - PentaxForums.com
10-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this thread is old, but it's the one that pops up on google when you search for tethering and Pentax. I just tried to tether to lightroom classic with my K3iii and it didn't detect it.

Edit: I wanted to try Image Transmitter 2, but... can only seem to find a download for the updater for it? Is this something you have to buy?
10-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. You have to buy the basic software to install the update. It is expensive and hard to find.
10-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes. You have to buy the basic software to install the update. It is expensive and hard to find.
Ah, that's unfortunate! I like that the camera app is free (and good), always an option, esp with a tablet.

It doesn't appear on the list of supported devices from the Ricoh API, or on pktether.
10-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think support for the K-3iii has been added but check the forum posts. I think PF had an app but I have not followed that so I am not sure where development is. Someone should pop in here soon who knows.