Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that the camera does multiple exposures bracketing around the known good AF set in live view.

Steve
"The camera" being Nikon or the new Pentax?

04-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
"The camera" being Nikon or the new Pentax?
I believe he's talking about the Nikon.
04-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I believe he's talking about the Nikon.
You would be correct.

Steve
04-10-2021, 03:39 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just to the initial article that was linked at the beginning, I think every camera maker out there is trying to move "up scale." The average price per unit sold for mirrorless is quite a bit higher than for SLRs. The absolute number of units sold is way down for both types of cameras since five or ten years ago.

Consumers have no choice but to buy from the menu of options available to them. Nikon is apparently discontinuing the 3xxx and 5xxx APS-C camera lines (that's what the article said, anyway), meaning that the cheapest cameras available in their ILC line up would be the D7500 (1000) or the Z50 (860). Unless they come out with a cheaper Z APS-C camera, the bottom end of the ILC market will be pretty much uncovered.

04-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP linked to a tech site, tech sites want numbers, faster, more of, video, etc. Pentax has positioned itself pretty firmly in the market place and by that I mean its stepping off the mainstream and following its own path with OVF and mirror. Price and positioning is high enough to make a bit of margin, low enough to pull enough of the customer base along. 2K for a camera that will last a minimum of 5 years to me is good value. Now if the customer base does not recognise that inherent value, then its market share will shrink and price will go up.
04-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
The OP linked to a tech site, tech sites want numbers, faster, more of, video, etc. Pentax has positioned itself pretty firmly in the market place and by that I mean its stepping off the mainstream and following its own path with OVF and mirror. Price and positioning is high enough to make a bit of margin, low enough to pull enough of the customer base along. 2K for a camera that will last a minimum of 5 years to me is good value. Now if the customer base does not recognise that inherent value, then its market share will shrink and price will go up.
Agree with this. At this point, everyone makes good cameras that would have been considered outstanding just a few years ago. At this point, I think it's about finding a camera that aligns with how you want to participate in the craft of photography. Pentax isn't trying to be everything for everyone, but for me they a checking a lot of the right boxes.