Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2021, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I won't be buying a K3 iii (maybe) and why I will be (possibly).

Now the imminent arrival of the K3 iii is almost upon us and we have had a chance to see some of the initial ambassador reviews and finally know the price, I will share some thoughts as to why I will not be buying the new machine and to why I will be. So here goes.

I am an enthusiastic (SWMBO would say obsessive) hobbyist and currently shoot among other cameras a K3 and KP, both equipped with battery grips. Mostly with small primes both AF and MF. The K3 with its grip is without doubt the best handling camera, film or digitaI I have ever owned, to my taste at least, and the KP not far behind. The KP's IQ at 1600 or above beats that of the K3 and the AF is a bit quicker. The new model improves on both cameras on the face of it in terms of both IQ, AF and handling, and, cost aside (more on that later), is a worthy upgrade to either.

However, I will not be upgrading (maybe) because:-
1. I find the current IQ and AF performance of the KP good enough for my needs. It is my DSLR of choice for walk about photography with a small prime attached. Sometimes with and sometimes without the BG.
2. My K3 is usually reserved for MF glass (I have installed a micro-prism focus screen), close up work and still life. I use the built in flash a lot (as I do with the KP), and the camera spends a deal of time on a tripod nowadays.
For my personal use the K3 iii offers no real image advantage over either camera, other than the improved ISO performance, and has a big disadvantage as it loses the inbuilt flash capability.

But I will be upgrading (possibly) because:-
1. Damn it, this new camera looks so gorgeous. The slightly taller body means that without a grip my pinky finger will not dangle annoyingly in mid air like it does with the K3. The viewfinder magnification increase would mean that I would not need to bother with the O-ME 53 eyepiece any more, which whilst functional, means I have to crunch my face into the camera to see the whole viewfinder image, which is awkward give the size of my proboscis.
2. The improved AF may mean that I can capture the erratic movements of my dog, without resorting to using a Fuji camera and lens! Unfortunately I would probably also have to buy a 200mm f2.8 for several hundred pounds to take advantage of this improvement.
3. I want one!

So I am in a quandary. To upgrade or not. Logically it makes little sense for me but emotionally.......

So, let us consider the expense (£1899 in the UK or £2199 with the BG, and you know which I would want, right?). I can afford it flat out right now, but my tightness of wallet is very reluctant to do so, especially as I really would get a fast telephoto too, so I would have to offload some other gear to justify it to myself (and SWMBO!). Aaaargh! The mere thought of that would give me GAS withdrawal symptons and what to off load anyway?

Decisions, Decisions.......

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-13-2021 at 03:39 AM.
04-11-2021, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it makes sense for a lot of people to wait a bit. Just because you aren't an early adopter doesn't mean you won't get something down the road. But I do think you would enjoy this camera at some point.
04-11-2021, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

unless you really want and think you can grab one of the K 3 III special editions, either the black or silver, remember only 1000 of each made

there would be good reasons to wait -

better on point reviews by users here on the PF

possible production of an e book

price will go down -

how much

and when

who knows

if I fail at getting my already pre-ordered K 3 III silver special edition, that is my fall back plan
04-11-2021, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy the 200mm lens now and see how well it works or doesn't with the K-3. If it does not work well, then buy the new K-3. Who knows? . . . if you wait awhile, you might make your tight wallet happier by picking up a slightly used one from someone less enamored with it.

04-11-2021, 05:22 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
3. I want one!

This is the only important point!
04-11-2021, 06:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it makes sense for a lot of people to wait a bit. Just because you aren't an early adopter doesn't mean you won't get something down the road. But I do think you would enjoy this camera at some point.
I think I am going to be a little way down the road adopter
04-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Why probably won't in near future...no money for an expensive upgrade I don't need.

Why I might in the future...if current camera dies and prices have dropped on the K-3iii to where I can afford one.

Steve

04-13-2021, 01:46 AM   #8

One reason why I will not be buying a K3-III is bulk and weight. When comparing my Fuji X-T20 + 27 mm lens with my K5IIS + 21 mm lens, you are talking about 475 g vs 935 g. Carrying one camera or the other around your neck for a whole day are obviously very different experiences. I also like the EVF better, because it shows the actual picture that will be recorded. Talking about IQ, I think there has been marginal progress in sensor performance since 2010 and the Sony 16 mp sensor of the K5. To me, this minimal improvement is certainly not worth 2000 $. Looking at the IR or DPR tests, the 24 mp sensor of the X-T20 performs even better than the more recent 26 mp of the X-T4. Maybe the most recent cameras are valuable for people shooting sports because of their higher speed. I can still shoot sports using my K5IIS and manual pre-focusing. But frankly, the main reason for not buying a new camera is that it would not make me a better photographer.
04-13-2021, 03:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

#1.....No articulating screen...plain and simple.
#2....Fuji XT2 and XT3....didn't have to wait YEARS !
I have zero desire or need for the K3 iii , and will be a Never adopter.
04-13-2021, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

A lot depends on where you are in your life and what your future priorities are. Very very few would actually require this camera for any real purpose.... that can't be fullfilled in a cheaper alternate way.

I had no intention of getting it at this point.... I normally take a while before deciding... what the hell.... and getting a new crop camera.... but I weakend when I saw a good deal.... gave it 10 minutes thought.... in a way... it is a big pentax deal....
04-13-2021, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having just bought a K1 ii this hurts my heart a little passing on the K3 iii

JJ
04-13-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I'm firmly decided not to buy the K-3iii; the reason being that I already switched to FF. And there will be no going back from that.
I'm waiting for a K-1iii, I fully expect Pentax will make one; and I'm slowly building a nice kit of FF lenses.
Once the K-3iii will be available, I'll try on in our Pentax store, and walk out without buying. Absolutely.

There's still something I'm not sure about, though... that is, should I also get the DA 55-300 RE PLM to use on the K-3iii? As a light alternative to the D FA 150-450...
04-13-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm firmly decided not to buy the K-3iii; the reason being that I already switched to FF. And there will be no going back from that.
I'm waiting for a K-1iii, I fully expect Pentax will make one; and I'm slowly building a nice kit of FF lenses.
Once the K-3iii will be available, I'll try on in our Pentax store, and walk out without buying. Absolutely.

There's still something I'm not sure about, though... that is, should I also get the DA 55-300 RE PLM to use on the K-3iii? As a light alternative to the D FA 150-450...
Did you mean to ask about using the 55-300PLM on your K1 rather than a K3 III? I would assume so as you said you won't ever be buying the latter.

On a related note I love my K1 and can't imagine selling it. The K3 III I've ordered is for purposes the K-1 may not be all that great with in comparison. Having both will be to my benefit.
04-13-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Did you mean to ask about using the 55-300PLM on your K1 rather than a K3 III? I would assume so as you said you won't ever be buying the latter.

On a related note I love my K1 and can't imagine selling it. The K3 III I've ordered is for purposes the K-1 may not be all that great with in comparison. Having both will be to my benefit.
On the K-3 iii, like I said.
Of course, I will have no logical explanation about how I got one (despite firmly deciding not to). Won't even be the first time it happens.
04-13-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what's logic go to do with it

whoops, that's love, not logic

sorry