Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On the K-3 iii, like I said.
Of course, I will have no logical explanation about how I got one (despite firmly deciding not to). Won't even be the first time it happens.

04-13-2021, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I won’t be buying the K3III because I was just made redundant

I will hopefully be buying the K3III because if I can find a job quickly (2nd interview today) I will have a nice redundancy payout to leverage the wife against!

As a K3 user who has held out against the K1 and Kp, its not a difficult choice.
04-13-2021, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote

I will hopefully be buying the K3III because if I can find a job quickly (2nd interview today) I will have a nice redundancy payout to leverage the wife against!

As a K3 user who has held out against the K1 and Kp, its not a difficult choice.
Good luck with the Job!
04-13-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

good luck with the job hunt

04-13-2021, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

As a fellow Melbournian good luck in your job hunt.

My job is also about to cease in a few months so I kinda know how you feel.
04-14-2021, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
One reason why I will not be buying a K3-III is bulk and weight. When comparing my Fuji X-T20 + 27 mm lens with my K5IIS + 21 mm lens, you are talking about 475 g vs 935 g. Carrying one camera or the other around your neck for a whole day are obviously very different experiences. I also like the EVF better, because it shows the actual picture that will be recorded. Talking about IQ, I think there has been marginal progress in sensor performance since 2010 and the Sony 16 mp sensor of the K5. To me, this minimal improvement is certainly not worth 2000 $. Looking at the IR or DPR tests, the 24 mp sensor of the X-T20 performs even better than the more recent 26 mp of the X-T4. Maybe the most recent cameras are valuable for people shooting sports because of their higher speed. I can still shoot sports using my K5IIS and manual pre-focusing. But frankly, the main reason for not buying a new camera is that it would not make me a better photographer.
You are of course, logically right in what you say. I bought a KP a couple of years ago because I "needed" a smaller, lighter camera than my K3 for my Ltd on other primes. However, my X-T1, even with a battery grip, with the 27mm attached is still smaller and lighter than the KP with a F 28mm f2.8, by some margin. And my XE3 even more so. Much as I love these Fujis though, I still get a kick out of using my Pentax gear, partly because I marginally prefer the Pentax images but also because I find something nice in use with the optical viewfinder and the general sense of denseness and excellent ergonomics of the bodies. Its not a logical thing, just a subjective feeling.

---------- Post added 04-14-21 at 12:10 AM ----------

I can certainly empathize with your first and second statements here! I have been holding out against the K1 since it first came out, what is it, 5 years now? I was still prevaricating until the K3 iii arrived. The K1 does offer some considerable improvements to my K3, but at a cost, not just financial - bigger, heavier, slower, larger file sizes and no built in flash. Money aside (Ha,ha - always a consideration of course), the K3 iii would offer the improvements that matter to me most at only the expense of the missing flash.
04-19-2021, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ofer Hadas Quote
After SO many years with Pentax - Real straggle - staying with "Old" technology of DSLR or Start all over again and move to mirrorless
I think associating 'old technology' with DSLRs might be misplaced in light of the new K-3 Mark III. It seems that RIcoh Imaging invested a lot of research and development into the camera, including hardware and software, system integration, and production processes. The new pentaprism and viewfinder optics in particular stand out as a significant advancement, as does the entire mirror- and shutter control system.

- Craig

04-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think associating 'old technology' with DSLRs might be misplaced in light of the new K-3 Mark III. It seems that RIcoh Imaging invested a lot of research and development into the camera, including hardware and software, system integration, and production processes. The new pentaprism and viewfinder optics in particular stand out as a significant advancement, as does the entire mirror- and shutter control system.

- Craig
Not to mention that mirrorless is even older technology.....