Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #46

While it may be possible to add more crop modes in firmware unless the viewfinder LCD already has the crop marks in it the only way to add additional marks is to replace the LCD. And unless the traces, connectors and controller has leads for the new marks the circuit board would have to be replaced. Maybe even the mainboard.

The LCD is not a pixel matrix like a computer monitor that shapes can be drawn on. Think of a focus screen where the etch lines (or symbols) can be turned on or off. If an etching isn't there in the first place to you have to replace the screen.

Ricoh could possibly add modes but without crop lines in the viewfinder - crop lines on the rear LCD in LiveView.

05-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Not a big fan of the 1:1 crop, I would like to have the 645 ratio, that is 4:3, in the OVF.
05-04-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Not a big fan of the 1:1 crop, I would like to have the 645 ratio, that is 4:3, in the OVF.
I've never used crop mode even on my K-1. I prefer doing that in post where I can fine-tune the crop area.
05-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
I noticed the crop mode but wasn't sure why I would select it. Interesting thread to learn why others do but I will likely continue to capture what I can and do any cropping in PP.

05-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
While it may be possible to add more crop modes in firmware unless the viewfinder LCD already has the crop marks in it the only way to add additional marks is to replace the LCD. And unless the traces, connectors and controller has leads for the new marks the circuit board would have to be replaced. Maybe even the mainboard.

The LCD is not a pixel matrix like a computer monitor that shapes can be drawn on. Think of a focus screen where the etch lines (or symbols) can be turned on or off. If an etching isn't there in the first place to you have to replace the screen.

Ricoh could possibly add modes but without crop lines in the viewfinder - crop lines on the rear LCD in LiveView.
True. The only reference for hope of adding crop lines in firmware, is the precedent of the K-1, where the 1:1 crop was added that way. Probably the hardware was ready for it all the time, but the feature kept aside in the initial release because of some lingering bugs in the cropping software? Seems improbable that the same would be the case in the K-3 III, but we can hope...
05-06-2021, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #51

Rather than shoot video, I would like to try and make a slideshow of a sequence of sports images. Crop mode would save me from having to crop images of action at the other end of the field. The situation comes up in so many ways. Let's say I'm shooting near home plate and the ball is hit to deep center field, or there is a corner kick at the other end of the soccer field. If I could quickly switch to crop mode and fire off a 2-second burst, it would save me the time of having to crop 24 images in post. If I know I'm going to crop anyway, that would save me some time. I'm often shooting 500 to 1,000 images at a sporting event. All the time saved in cropping images adds up.

Maybe I could customize one of the user modes with this setting. This is why Pentax is so great. They offer options and customizability in so many ways. Sure, most people will never use it for their type of photography, but Pentax is designing cameras that offer solutions to problems I didn't know I had.
05-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #52
Veteran Member

If you’re shooting a 24-frame, 2 second burst, are you actually showing all 24 of those frames to anyone? I will shoot a similar number of exposures at a sporting event, but I’m going to pick 10–25 to share with anyone. I don’t do anything with the ones that don’t make it into my top list.

05-07-2021, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
If you’re shooting a 24-frame, 2 second burst, are you actually showing all 24 of those frames to anyone? I will shoot a similar number of exposures at a sporting event, but I’m going to pick 10–25 to share with anyone. I don’t do anything with the ones that don’t make it into my top list.
Which is what most people would do indeed, myself included.

Having all images in focus, does open up creative possibilities combining all those images in elaborate photoshop compositions. Not something one would do for every burst though...