currently I have the -

K 1 II

K 3 II

K 3 [ on loan to my younger brother in Illinois ]

and the K 10d [ for the CCD sensor ]

I am hoping that my back ordered K 3 III Silver Special Edition comes through

if so, what should I do with the K 3 II and the K 3

comparison of the two:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax%20K-3...2=Pentax%20K-3

the K 3 does have the pop up flash for fill in opportunities

the K 3 II does not

I do have the Pentax O-GPS1

the K 10d also has a pop up flash

thoughts ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-15-2021 at 09:42 AM.
04-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally I'd gift the K-3 to your brother (assuming you like him ), and probably not hold on to the K-3II for very long either after you get the new camera as I don't see any benefits to it whatsoever other than sentimental.

I'll be disposing of one of my K-70's almost immediately, keeping the other for at least a while as a backup or second shooter since I do occasionally shoot for profit. If not for that I'd gift or sell them both.
04-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally I'd gift the K-3 to your brother (assuming you like him ), and probably not hold on to the K-3II for very long either after you get the new camera as I don't see any benefits to it whatsoever other than sentimental.

I'll be disposing of one of my K-70's almost immediately, keeping the other for at least a while as a backup or second shooter since I do occasionally shoot for profit. If not for that I'd gift or sell them both.
at times, I like to use two cameras

on trips where I expect to find wildlife

one with telephoto, one with wide angle

so I probably will not get rid of both the K 3 and K 3 II
04-15-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
at times, I like to use two cameras

on trips where I expect to find wildlife

one with telephoto, one with wide angle

so I probably will not get rid of both the K 3 and K 3 II
Gotcha. I guess I was forgetting that I also carry two camera's and for the same reason: Avoid field lens changes as much as I can, and faster reaction to a photo op. In my case I've been going with my K-1 and a K-70 rather than two of the crops ever since I bought the full-frame.

04-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Gotcha. I guess I was forgetting that I also carry two camera's and for the same reason: Avoid field lens changes as much as I can, and faster reaction to a photo op. In my case I've been going with my K-1 and a K-70 rather than two of the crops ever since I bought the full-frame.
the K 1 II has no flash

otherwise I can see what you mean
04-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

the K 1 II has no flash

otherwise I can see what you mean
Yeah, that's why the K-1 always gets my wide-angle's since flash would be kinda useless anyway. The K-70 often gets the macro DFA100, and other times a *200, with a 31 or 35 stashed in the bag.
04-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

decisions, decisions, decisions

I am hoping that my back ordered K 3 II Silver Special Edition comes through

thoughts ?
just to clarify
you are waiting for K-3 Mark lll Premium Kit Silver , correct?
04-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
just to clarify
you are waiting for K-3 Mark lll Premium Kit Silver , correct?
Yes

I edited the post

04-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the K 3 does have the pop up flash for fill in opportunities
Do you have any sense of how often you have made use of that capability? When I first got my K5, I used the onboard flash with an improvised diffuser for macro shots and I've used it as a fill flash when shooting faces in partial shade. I can't say I've used it that often recently, and it does give many images a specific look that isn't always pleasing, but I know I would want to have at least one body that had that capability. My full flash only travels with me when I'm certain I'm going to use it.
04-15-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

You can always do what I did with my K-3 II: I sent it off to Kolari Vision for a full spectrum conversion, which removes the infrared/ultraviolet blocking filter from the sensor and replaces it by their Pro AR anti-smudge filter.

I had always wanted to play with Astro and infrared, but always found I couldn't get enough detail with the former, and was frustrated with the long shutter speeds needed for the latter. The full spectrum conversion fixed both. Having a dedicated camera in my bag, at the ready with prior mounted filters, is bound to save me time and as such allow me to do more and learn faster in both fields. Plus having an Astro camera with GPS means I will miss that less on the mark III.

Not a cheap conversion though, and the filters come at a cost too. But I am having fun rediscovering a whole new way of seeing.

Oh and... I must admit the decision to go ahead with this drastic intervention was made easier by the fact that I have two K-3 II, the older and more beaten up one still working normally while waiting for the K-3 mark III (also the silver premium). I probably wouldn't have had the courage to do this if it had been my only one.

Wim

04-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
You can always do what I did with my K-3 II: I sent it off to Kolari Vision for a full spectrum conversion, which removes the infrared/ultraviolet blocking filter from the sensor and replaces it by their Pro AR anti-smudge filter.
350 is alot, does the Viewfinder AF still work after? Imagen a full specturm pentax with infinity focus and a fully operational AF... especially in spring and summer! But honestly 2 facinating new toys at once? convert the K-3 II play with it all summer and when the green is all burned out get the K-3 III
04-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brathahn Quote
350€ is alot,
Actually it's even more if you select Kolari's Pro AR anti-smudge glass to replace the IR/UV blocking filter, as I did. This reduces internal reflections that result in the infrared hot spot you often get in the centre of an image. Also, as I mentioned the filters cost a fair deal. I already had the Hoya R72, but I added Kolari's IR Chrome (49mm and 77mm) and their UV/IR Cut+H-alpha (49mm and waiting for the 77mm to become available again). I don't want it to be a one-trick camera.

does the Viewfinder AF still work after?
Yes, the camera is fully functional. That's one of the reasons why I trusted a professional party to do the conversion, and never attempted it myself. Note that AF through the OVF is only practical for some of the filters though. The two Kolari filters I got include part of the visible spectrum as well, so except for AWB and exposure everything is normal. The R72 almost completely blocks the OVF, so liveview is the only option to frame, AF and verify focus anyway.

Auto white balance will be completely off, so white balance requires a custom setting. I dug up my old Expodisc (last used for my *ist DS) to save a custom WB for full spectrum, IR Chrome and R72 (for the UV/IR Cut+H-alpha AWB is good enough). Hence I'm using all three settings foreseen in the K-3II now. Of course, AWB is fine if you shoot RAW and set WB in post processing (using custom camera profiles in Lightroom for the R72), but the in-camera custom WB does help to get a better idea of the possible result when reviewing the image on the LCD.

Accuracy of exposure metering varies according to the filter used as well. No filter use lets in more light, so underexposing is required depending on the amount of infrared in the image. The IR Chrome and UV/IR Cut+H-alpha are closer to what the meter reports, but I still use bracketing to get at least one shot properly exposed. The R72 is another thing, and requires full manual exposure.

Imagen a full specturm pentax with infinity focus and a fully operational AF... especially in spring and summer! But honestly 2 facinating new toys at once? convert the K-3 II play with it all summer and when the green is all burned out get the K-3 III
I'll probably be carrying both if travel would become possible again, and I'll alternate depending on subject, weather and time of day. And if restrictions remain through summer, at least I'll have some local fun with both cameras.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 04-16-2021 at 02:15 AM.
04-16-2021, 06:25 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Yes, the camera is fully functional. That's one of the reasons why I trusted a professional party to do the conversion, and never attempted it myself. Note that AF through the OVF is only practical for some of the filters though. The two Kolari filters I got include part of the visible spectrum as well, so except for AWB and exposure everything is normal. The R72 almost completely blocks the OVF, so liveview is the only option to frame, AF and verify focus anyway.

Auto white balance will be completely off, so white balance requires a custom setting. I dug up my old Expodisc (last used for my *ist DS) to save a custom WB for full spectrum, IR Chrome and R72 (for the UV/IR Cut+H-alpha AWB is good enough). Hence I'm using all three settings foreseen in the K-3II now. Of course, AWB is fine if you shoot RAW and set WB in post processing (using custom camera profiles in Lightroom for the R72), but the in-camera custom WB does help to get a better idea of the possible result when reviewing the image on the LCD.
Well if i ever manage to keep any of the little money i make
Thinking about it that this is a topic where a mirrorless camera shines. My butchered K-50 only works right in live view, the failed apperature block would only leave me the manual mode otherwise. we successfully screwed up the focus so it won't get anywhere close to infinity and yet it is so fascinating to look at these pictures and realise that we don't even know how the stuff, we look at everyday, really looks like! Its a little of frightening too
I'd say there is more to be gained here then with the new K-3III.
04-16-2021, 07:09 AM   #14

Gifting the K-3 or K-3ii to your brother seems to me to be the right thing to do.

My older brother gave me his K10D when he upgraded to the K20D. Ever grateful
04-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Gifting the K-3 or K-3ii to your brother seems to me to be the right thing to do.

My older brother gave me his K10D when he upgraded to the K20D. Ever grateful
if I do, which one

should I keep the K 3 for the flash or the K 3 II for its " improvements "