Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To my mind, Pentax has been shooting itself in the foot competitively for too long by trying to undercut the opposition as a value proposition: - it hasn't stopped the complaints about areas in which Pentax lags behind, areas that can only be addressed by investment, and investment needs returns. People out there pay huge amounts for cameras and lenses by other manufacturers because they have the money, and that's what they want. Ricoh has to make a product that people want, which they have tried to do with the K-3iii. I think the alternative of keeping on producing comparatively cheap cameras is the one that guarantees not expanding outside an aging user base.

04-19-2021, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax has stepped off the mainstream train and said after you, we're taking a different route. The influencers don't get that, don't understand it because they just need content to churn out, new stuff every week or more. That's the way YouTube works. Slagging off Pentax will get some clicks and then they're onto the next Sony, Fuji or whatever.
Cameraville is a particularly odious example but that might be just a case of ambition over talent. I see Photo Universe has popped up with some Pentax vids. He's been to Fuji, been to Sony and now talking Pentax K-3iii.
04-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
To my mind, Pentax has been shooting itself in the foot competitively for too long by trying to undercut the opposition as a value proposition: - it hasn't stopped the complaints about areas in which Pentax lags behind, areas that can only be addressed by investment, and investment needs returns. People out there pay huge amounts for cameras and lenses by other manufacturers because they have the money, and that's what they want. Ricoh has to make a product that people want, which they have tried to do with the K-3iii. I think the alternative of keeping on producing comparatively cheap cameras is the one that guarantees not expanding outside an aging user base.
And I believe you have a point, when looking at other systems and prices I think the K3iii is fair, However I personally have to look at from a strictly Pentax perspective. I know the K3II was released in 2015 for 1200, And an 800 dollar increase over 6 years isn’t terrible. But having recently purchased a K1II I was surprised to see the K3iii priced higher is all. And had I waited and only had my K5iis I would’ve probably preorder the K3iii and chalked it up to the “price of admission” I want Pentax to succeed and not become another Betamax or HDDVD of the photo world. So here’s Hoping the next 5 years will yield a little more than the last five.

JJ
04-19-2021, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well.... I'm now 10 years older than my mother ever was.... and have about 10 years to live to the age my father passed away.... and I have no children to leave stuff to.... so a K1III will be in my future no doubt.

However.... I have zero need/want for one... as the existing K1 is a kind off a FF full stop.... especlally in combination with a K3III on the longer lenses..... and maybe a KP as a compact kit.

04-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Pentax has stepped off the mainstream train and said after you, we're taking a different route. The influencers don't get that, don't understand it because they just need content to churn out, new stuff every week or more. That's the way YouTube works. Slagging off Pentax will get some clicks and then they're onto the next Sony, Fuji or whatever.
Cameraville is a particularly odious example but that might be just a case of ambition over talent. I see Photo Universe has popped up with some Pentax vids. He's been to Fuji, been to Sony and now talking Pentax K-3iii.
Sadly I saw one that was a die hard pentaxian jump ship to Sony but never really gave a good explanation as to why except tech specs on paper. Sometimes I think it’s more inventing a solution to a problem we didn’t have in the first place smh...

JJ
04-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Sadly I saw one that was a die hard pentaxian jump ship to Sony but never really gave a good explanation as to why except tech specs on paper. Sometimes I think it’s more inventing a solution to a problem we didn’t have in the first place smh...

JJ
Sometimes they become the most virulent anti Pentax posters too. It's a bit weird. Lots of reasons to stick with Pentax, a few to leave as well. You makes your choice and pays your money
04-19-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I am sort of on the fence with the K3III as well. I like my K1 so much my K3 rarely gets used. But I recently got a DA300* and now the K3 is a lot more attractive due to the reach advantage. I was contemplating a second K1 and getting rid of all my apsc bodies, but with that 300 I am now considering a K3III. I couldn't justify a K3III and a potential K1III so I am in wait and see mode. If the K3III had come out priced a little lower it would probably be decided already. I'm not jumping ship though. I have looked around considerably and gone into shops to handle the latest canikony gear and slick as it is I came away pretty happy with what I have so I invested in some more lenses, FA77 and DA300*. And boy am I glad I did. So now I am in a holding pattern to see if a new K1 is on the horizon or if the image quality of the K3III is just so amazing that I can be convinced to that way. In the meantime the pennies keep stacking up.

04-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I am sort of on the fence with the K3III as well. I like my K1 so much my K3 rarely gets used. But I recently got a DA300* and now the K3 is a lot more attractive due to the reach advantage. I was contemplating a second K1 and getting rid of all my apsc bodies, but with that 300 I am now considering a K3III. I couldn't justify a K3III and a potential K1III so I am in wait and see mode. If the K3III had come out priced a little lower it would probably be decided already. I'm not jumping ship though. I have looked around considerably and gone into shops to handle the latest canikony gear and slick as it is I came away pretty happy with what I have so I invested in some more lenses, FA77 and DA300*. And boy am I glad I did. So now I am in a holding pattern to see if a new K1 is on the horizon or if the image quality of the K3III is just so amazing that I can be convinced to that way. In the meantime the pennies keep stacking up.
I will probably always have 2 bodies one FF and one aps-c so eventually I will pick up the K3iii and be good for another decade or so..

JJ
04-19-2021, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #24

The pricing of the K-3iii was just at the maximum of what I was prepared to spend to make the big leap from my ten year old K5. I can understand why some of you with multiple newer cameras may be hesitating, but for those of us who have to wait between upgrades, I just know I'm going to be quite pleased once it is finally shipped to me. Saving $200 would be nice, but I'm not going to wait a year to maybe get a price drop.

Scratch that - I just double-checked an my camera will only be 9 years old on Wednesday. (still not waiting another year though)

Last edited by SimplyCreativePhotography; 04-19-2021 at 06:58 PM.
04-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
The pricing of the K-3iii was just at the maximum of what I was prepared to spend to make the big leap from my ten year old K5. I can understand why some of you with multiple newer cameras may be hesitating, but for those of us who have to wait between upgrades, I just know I'm going to be quite pleased once it is finally shipped to me. Saving $200 would be nice, but I'm not going to wait a year to maybe get a price drop.

Scratch that - I just double-checked an my camera will only be 9 years old on Wednesday. (still not waiting another year though)
Good on you SimplyCreativePhotography. You deserve a new camera after 9 years!!! If the AF is all it appears to be you will be very happy.
04-20-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera pricing is moving up scale and over time we are going to pay more for ILCs. Beyond which, a launch price isn't street price six months or a year later. I do expect the K-3 III to drop some over time, but it is probably beneficial to the bottom line for Pentax to get money from the early adopters.
04-20-2021, 03:43 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no need for the K-3iii other than aviation displays and may acquire one in a year or so with the PLM 55-300.

At this point I really want the K-1iii with that viewfinder, but I recognise that Pentax need help returning investment to get there.

There won't be any talk about the K-1iii until the K-3iii is well established and selling well.

First user reports on the effectiveness of the new set up will prove the new value proposition, you are still getting a lot for your money relative to the competition taking the system as a whole.
04-20-2021, 03:47 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cameraville is a particularly odious example but that might be just a case of ambition over talent
Sadly true
04-20-2021, 03:53 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I see Photo Universe has popped up with some Pentax vids. He's been to Fuji, been to Sony and now talking Pentax K-3iii.
He was overtly snarky and trying hard to be cute and play to his audience in mocking Pentax in a K3 III opinion video a few weeks ago. After being corrected on so many of his claims of this or that Pentas feature he's mellowed a LOT on his anti-Pentax slant. He was actually very positive when talking about a K3 he bought this month from now of our forum members.

He may be a bit smarmy, but he does seem to be gradually coming around to the possibility the new Pentax may be a much better camera than he was expecting.
04-20-2021, 04:07 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
He may be a bit smarmy, but he does seem to be gradually coming around to the possibility the new Pentax may be a much better camera than he was expecting.
I didn't think him as being smarmy, exactly. He tend to be positive, and in a couple of week we will know just how good the camera is. I have been less impressed by the Pentax ambassadors chosen to review it. They were tied to what they could say, a smite on their own good story IMO