Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 04:11 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMO the only factor that won't attract new Pentax users to buy this camera is its price. With all it's honest reviews it will attract more on current Pentax users waiting for a camera with better AF. I still think it's a great upgrade from any Pentax APS-C camera.

04-20-2021, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
IMO the only factor that won't attract new Pentax users to buy this camera is its price. With all it's honest reviews it will attract more on current Pentax users waiting for a camera with better AF. I still think it's a great upgrade from any Pentax APS-C camera.
I've mentioned before that those photographers who just cannot tolerate (or learn to) MILC's, or who simply don't like throwback/rangefinder ergonomics, don't have a lot of options for a rock-solid compact and innovative DSLR with eye-focus, high burst rates, and great dynamic range with excellent low-light capabilities. Where they gonna go?

I believe there's a significant percentage of buyers who simply do not want a mirrorless camera, and some may be willing to change platforms to come over to the sunny Pentax side.
04-20-2021, 12:06 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep thinking about the *ist D price. In August 2005 when I got my *ist DS, the D was $1500, DS $750.

History shows if you wait long enough, it'll be $50, but you have to be patient.
04-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've mentioned before that those photographers who just cannot tolerate (or learn to) MILC's, or who simply don't like throwback/rangefinder ergonomics, don't have a lot of options for a rock-solid compact and innovative DSLR with eye-focus, high burst rates, and great dynamic range with excellent low-light capabilities. Where they gonna go?

I believe there's a significant percentage of buyers who simply do not want a mirrorless camera, and some may be willing to change platforms to come over to the sunny Pentax side.
Indeed! Not even the D500 offers Eye-AF through the viewfinder.

There will be a few Canon & Nikon users that will make the switch (few is the keyword here), since they see that Canon & Nikon have pretty much stopped development with APS-C DSLR bodies & lenses, plus CaNikon trying to get those users to switch to mirrorless. If 3rd party reviewers end up praising the camera for the most part, many will notice. That would probably add a few more users to the Pentax fold as well.

04-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
Good on you SimplyCreativePhotography. You deserve a new camera after 9 years!!! If the AF is all it appears to be you will be very happy.
I also deserve a new lens to go with it. Sure would be nice to win one....
04-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
I also deserve a new lens to go with it. Sure would be nice to win one....
I haven’t bought a new lens myself in a couple years, hoping to snag a 31 Ltd and the new 21 instead of the K3iii

JJ
04-21-2021, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
The pricing of the K-3iii was just at the maximum of what I was prepared to spend to make the big leap from my ten year old K5.
Gee, you will notice a difference from the K5!!
I went from K5 to KP (which is probably as far as I will go, given my age) and the difference was enormous.
Jumping to the K3iii, from what we have seen so far, you will think you have jumped planets.

btw, I say nothing bad about the K5; I loved mine until I upgraded.

04-22-2021, 01:23 AM   #38

I had a K30. The aperture failed about 2 months after the warranty expired. I found Pentax Forums looking for what was wrong with my K30.

I bought a K5-II when they were marked down for the newer K3 model.

I bought a K3 the week before they were discontinued for the K3-II.

I bought a KP on release in 2017. Took it out immediately on vacation the day after it arrived. The terribly small KP buffer bogged down and I missed what was the money shot on the first day of my vacation. I get called a Pentax hater, or Pentax basher, on Facebook for this comment. I switched back to using my K3 because it has a larger buffer. I did get 1 of my KP images published in a national magazine before it went back in the bag and to the back of the closet. It isn't a bad camera. It just has a terrible buffer for what I need.

Between 2017 and 2021 I have purchased Fuji mirrorless and Nikon mirrorless cameras. I love the Fuji colors. The Nikon has a deeper buffer than my K3. I hate the jpg files and working in RAW takes away time I could be doing anything else besides editing photos. I cannot see the stupid LCD screen in sunlight on any mirrorless camera and looking through the viewfinder isn't much better... So I need a mirrored camera.

I preordered a K3-3 at 5pm April 6th. It was about $500 more than what I wanted to pay. I can only hope the buffer keeps up on this model. If it does the price won't be so hard to justify. If it craps out and bogs down I'll feel like I got burned once again.
04-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Just as a point of reference:
The only other DSLR I'm aware of with through the viewfinder eye-focus is the Nikon D6. IMO the K3 III may compare very favorably if it were its APS-C brother once real-world reviews post. Other than the smaller sensor all the other specifications are darn close, from burst speeds to low-light focusing, video specs, and both having the same size rear fixed screens.

But one is massive and heavy and $6000.
04-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just as a point of reference:
The only other DSLR I'm aware of with through the viewfinder eye-focus is the Nikon D6. IMO the K3 III may compare very favorably if it were its APS-C brother once real-world reviews post. Other than the smaller sensor all the other specifications are darn close, from burst speeds to low-light focusing, video specs, and both having the same size rear fixed screens.

But one is massive and heavy and $6000.
Careful! I made that comparison before and basically got an idiot because "you just can't compare a measly K-3 III to a D6".
04-22-2021, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Careful! I made that comparison before and basically got an idiot because "you just can't compare a measly K-3 III to a D6".
Pentax K-3 III vs Nikon D6 Detailed Comparison

EDIT: the comparison site doesn't realize some of the D6 advantages listed are also available to the K3 III, for example remote control of the camera via smartphone.

Yeah I know APS-C vs. full-frame, which to me is not worth 3 times the cost.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-22-2021 at 10:18 AM.
04-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps complimentary to the original poster's comment on price point (it is a concern) a little information to throw into the discussion. Spoke to a local Pentax dealer spefically asking about the introductory "kit". He indicated that this offering was "over-subscribed" and (specific to my interests) the Canada allocation of these kits was limited from the outset and Pentax was no longer taking orders.
He has committed to stock a few bodies (based on a strong interest) but the delivery date for these is "elusive". In a subsidiary discussion, the "kit" would offer some financial advantage over assembling similar individually (with out the unique strap)...it basically would come down to a "free" battery.
If there is enough of a delivery delay, wonder what Black Friday might look like...with local lockdowns, not like we can get out to use the cameras we currently have, Might be an option. lol
04-22-2021, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Spoke to a local Pentax dealer spefically asking about the introductory "kit". He indicated that this offering was "over-subscribed" and (specific to my interests) the Canada allocation of these kits was limited from the outset and Pentax was no longer taking orders.
Interesting. Seems a lot of folks have determined that the new camera offers good value for money, albeit at a relatively high price compared to other Pentax models.

At their site, Camera Canada indicates that the kit and the camera-only option are still 'On Order' and that they've seen "lots of demand."

According to the invoice they sent me (requesting payment following my pre-order of a couple of weeks ago), they were expecting to take delivery 22 April. I've not heard any update, but their customer service is exceptional so I'd think they would notify of any significant delays.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-22-2021 at 11:20 AM.
04-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed Adorama is offering a kit with the 20-40 for $2443.90. Now I have so much more to think about
04-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
I had a K30. The aperture failed about 2 months after the warranty expired. I found Pentax Forums looking for what was wrong with my K30.

I bought a K5-II when they were marked down for the newer K3 model.

I bought a K3 the week before they were discontinued for the K3-II.

I bought a KP on release in 2017. Took it out immediately on vacation the day after it arrived. The terribly small KP buffer bogged down and I missed what was the money shot on the first day of my vacation. I get called a Pentax hater, or Pentax basher, on Facebook for this comment. I switched back to using my K3 because it has a larger buffer. I did get 1 of my KP images published in a national magazine before it went back in the bag and to the back of the closet. It isn't a bad camera. It just has a terrible buffer for what I need.

Between 2017 and 2021 I have purchased Fuji mirrorless and Nikon mirrorless cameras. I love the Fuji colors. The Nikon has a deeper buffer than my K3. I hate the jpg files and working in RAW takes away time I could be doing anything else besides editing photos. I cannot see the stupid LCD screen in sunlight on any mirrorless camera and looking through the viewfinder isn't much better... So I need a mirrored camera.

I preordered a K3-3 at 5pm April 6th. It was about $500 more than what I wanted to pay. I can only hope the buffer keeps up on this model. If it does the price won't be so hard to justify. If it craps out and bogs down I'll feel like I got burned once again.
I'll get onto Pentax and tell them you want a Pcie v3 grade M.2 slot built into the grip and a lockdown toggle for the shutter button!

Actually that's not a bad idea. Patented on Pentaxforums!