Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 iii price point

Been watching a lot of YouTube videos which got me thinking. I’ve used Pentax my entire life. I have dabbled with other systems on occasion usually because of what was available at the time for example my first DSLR was a canon because the ist D was no where to be found. Luckily I didn’t invest heavily in those other systems but merely got my feet wet.I quickly traded/sold what I had and picked up a used K7 and never looked back. The only DSLR cameras I’ve bought new was my K5iis and recently my K1II. I was all set to jump on the new K3iii until I saw the price. Now I’m not trying to be cheap and I’m sure they will sell out the premium kits at launch. But as with anything in life I look at what’s available in a given market at a price point I can justify. At that price point I would pick up another K1II and still save money.
I’m not Buisness minded and maybe that is the price needed to stay profitable, however I would think they would sell more units at 1300 body only and 1500 bundle price and put them right in the middle of the Aps-c market. Heck even bump it up a little to 1500 body only and 1700 bundled. The current price point is only gonna attract current Pentax users that’s been holding off upgrading or those so heavily invested in the system already the K3iii is cheaper than switching. To me the flagship FF should be the most expensive model followed by the flagship crop body obviously dependent on age of the models. Eventually I will pick one up either used or if and when it’s replacement causes a price drop. But for now I’m gonna rock what I have be thankful I’m still able to get out and enjoy the hobby. I apologize for the long winded rambling but I’m cooped up recovering from surgery so unfortunately I have nothing but time on my hands....

JJ

04-19-2021, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope your surgery went well and you're recovering nicely. Good excuse to spend time here!

Well, I think that the price of the K-3 Mark III will attract both criticism and accolades. We may find that the sensor format itself is no longer a primary determinant of price. My impression is that Ricoh Imaging invested a lot of research and development for the new camera, including hardware and software design, system integration, and production processes (especially for the unique pentaprism). Of course, we'll need to wait for user reports and credible reviews before drawing firm conclusions on its value proposition.

Depending on the reviews, the camera may be attractive to non-Pentax users, especially those who value an optical viewfinder, ruggedness, and sublime ergonomics. I don't think it's a camera only for current Pentax users, but that's likely the dominant buyer base.

For me, the price is just at the limit of my (and my wife's) comfort level. I had been thinking of ordering just the camera, but my wife suggested the premium kit since I'd probably get the grip at a later time anyways, and the extra battery and neck strap are a bonus. My K-3 II is more than five years old and I haven't spent much $ on this, my main hobby, in a while.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-19-2021 at 07:32 AM.
04-19-2021, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I think it will not make more Pentax fans I am afraid. I started with an Me Super but the entry point cameras are disappearing.
04-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hope your surgery went well and you're recovering nicely. Good excuse to spend time here!

Well, I think that the price of the K-3 Mark III will attract both criticism and accolades. We may find that the sensor format itself is no longer a primary determinant of price. My impression is that Ricoh Imaging invested a lot of research and development for the new camera, including hardware and software design, system integration, and production processes (especially for the unique pentaprism). Of course, we'll need to wait for user reports and credible reviews before drawing firm conclusions on its value proposition.

Depending on the reviews, the camera may be attractive to non-Pentax users, especially those who value an optical viewfinder. I don't think it's a camera only for current Pentax users, but that's likely the dominant buyer base.

For me, the price is just at the limit of my (and my wife's) comfort level. I had been thinking of ordering just the camera, but my wife suggested the premium kit since I'd probably get the grip at a later time anyways, and the extra battery and neck strap are a bonus. My K-3 II is more than five years old and I haven't spent much $ on this, my main hobby, in a while.

- Craig
There will always be those wanting a Ferrari at a Fiat price. And personally a lot of the early reviews are critical of things I don’t care about (video, flippy screen etc)
What disappointed me is the card slots being different speeds, maybe it’s a buffer issue? And no integrated gps. To me those should be included for the price. And at this stage in my life it’s more a principle thing, could I buy it yes but I think that amount of money is better served elsewhere I.e. lenses or another K1.

JJ

---------- Post added 04-19-21 at 08:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
I think it will not make more Pentax fans I am afraid. I started with an Me Super but the entry point cameras are disappearing.
I think the only new users are gonna come from families that are already using Pentax. My daughter is currently shooting on a Nikon and Pentax because that’s what we have for her to use. At some point she will pick a system and maybe go a totally different route.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 04-19-2021 at 07:06 AM.
04-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
To me those should be included for the price. And at this stage in my life it’s more a principal thing, could I buy it yes but I think that amount of money is better served elsewhere I.e. lenses or another K1.
Good point about having principles. Fortunately, there are attractive options. If you were thinking of spending ~$2,000, another K-1 II or a lens or two could make sense. For example, I note that the upcoming HD FA Limited lenses seem to have fairly attractive price points.

- Craig
04-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good point about having principles. Fortunately, there are attractive options. If you were thinking of spending ~$2,000, another K-1 II or a lens or two could make sense. For example, I note that the upcoming HD FA Limited lenses seem to have fairly attractive price points.

- Craig
The 21 and 31 limiteds are on my short list...

JJ
04-19-2021, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Must be difficult for Pentax..... they need to deliver the up to date technology of a mirrorless.... but add additional optical complexity of a penta prisim viewfinder..... and a good one at that..... whilst manufacturing a lowish volume compared to the majors.... oh..... and do it in a way that keeps the lights on.

Maybe they should have just done a minor update.... nah.... we would have a complained even more.....

Anyway ..... the K1II price comparison thing will be solved when the K1III comes out.... lots of us will need to be sitting down for that one when it comes....

04-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Must be difficult for Pentax..... they need to deliver the up to date technology of a mirrorless.... but add additional optical complexity of a penta prisim viewfinder..... and a good one at that..... whilst manufacturing a lowish volume compared to the majors.... oh..... and do it in a way that keeps the lights on.

Maybe they should have just done a minor update.... nah.... we would have a complained even more.....

Anyway ..... the K1II price comparison thing will be solved when the K1III comes out.... lots of us will need to be sitting down for that one when it comes....
Let’s hope it’s a doozy.... And yes can’t please all the pentaxians all the time....

JJ
04-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote

I believe there are a larger number of photographers than trade blogs would admit who really prefer the generally more ergonomic DSLR's and would stay with them if the new tech comes along with them. If a new DSLR is brought to market with features they thought were MILC only, the biggie being eye focus, they'll find it.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the K3 III as Pentax attractant. No one else is currently trying to innovate with DSLR's so where are those photographers going to go?

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-19-2021 at 03:03 PM.
04-19-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest " attraction " of Pentax is the collection of lenses

and the fact that a large percentage of Pentax cameras can use those lenses

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

of course, prospective buyers must find out about that ability
04-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We may find that the sensor format itself is no longer a primary determinant of price. My impression is that Ricoh Imaging invested a lot of research and development for the new camera, including hardware and software design, system integration, and production processes (especially for the unique pentaprism).

- Craig
This....
There has undoubtably been a lot of research, effort, man hours and inventiveness behind the latest release. All that comes with a cost that has to be recouped from somewhere or there won't be the finance available for continued development of the next (FF?) model.
Firms that subsidise one division with another usually find that particular model does not work well.
I may well be going out on a limb here but I really cannot see the price dropping an awful lot so I do have the black body only on preorder here in the UK.
There are some "features" missing that people may have come to rely on now (GPS and flippy screen - very well implemented on K-1) but a solution is provided by linking Image Sync via smartphone if required.
The prices in general have risen due to a number of world-wide factors so the KP is now back at its original launch price here in the UK; even the DA 18-135 is now back at it's original launch price after tumbling for years. Prices of photographic equipment have risen across the board so whilst this is more than I paid for my K-1 I do believe (IMHO) that it is priced fairly.
04-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think the biggest " attraction " of Pentax is the collection of lenses

and the fact that a large percentage of Pentax cameras can use those lenses

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

of course, prospective buyers must find out about that ability
Sadly the next generation is so used to instant gratification the lens compatibility will be lost on them. I have 6 kids and only one has shown any interest in taking photos with anything other than an “icamera”…

JJ
04-19-2021, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GPS data should be easily available from your iOS or Android phone without touching it once the two devices are paired. While it won't provide directional data, it should provide location data even indoors, or other places where GPS is not available. Location data should be available via low-power bluetooth, which I don't expect to seriously affect the phone's battery life or the battery life of the K-3 Mark III. To me, at least, this is a better solution except for when I want to use the AstroTracer feature.

---------- Post added 04-19-21 at 03:46 PM ----------

Initial Manufacturer's List Price of Recent APS-C Flagship Cameras1

Pentax K-3 Mark III $1999 April 2021
OM-D E-M1 Mark III $1800 Feb 2020
Fujifilm X-T4 $1699 Feb 2020
Fujifilm X-T3 $1499 Sept 2018
Fujifilm X-H1 $1900 Feb 2018
Nikon D500 $2000 Jan 2016
Canon 7D Mark II $1799 Sept 2014

I just don't see how the K-3 Mark III is out of line with these. They have some tech the K-3 Mark III doesn't, and the K-3 Mark III has some tech they don't. Maybe you can't or don't want to afford it, but the pricing just doesn't seem out of line to me.

1 All USD in USA - Source - Digital Photography Review

Last edited by mstahulak; 04-19-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added K-3 Mark III
04-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

One has to keep in mind that the K-1II has been around for a while & although it's a nice camera, it definitely lags far behind the K-3III in terms of AF performance & general performance overall. The image quality is very impressive for an APS-C camera as well. It is a bit on the pricey side, but they did do a lot of research & development & spent a ton of engineering time on it. But yeah, chances are that the price will drop a bit by the end of this year. Who knows.

With that being said, I can only imagine the K-1III sticker shock once it's released. I'm going to guess about +$2,900 USA for the body alone when it's finally released. Hopefully it will also have the performance to match. The era of the inexpensive Pentax body is over.
04-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I made myself feel better and put things in perspective
Canons flagship FF 6500 bucks ������
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1618943-REG/canon_3829c002_eos_1d_x_m...981&