Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

K-3 iii video recording

Looking at the manual, the K-3 iii should be able to use AF-C while recording video. However, it needs a "compatible lens". Would that be a PLM lens like the 55-300 or upcoming 16-50 because they're able to focus more quickly? Or would SDM and DC lenses work too?

Also, has anyone found a video showing how well AF-C works on the K-3 iii while recording video? I have a Sony APS-C camera for video, but it would be nice to not need to bring 2 systems.

It would be nice to know how the microphone input gain settings compare to the K-1 ii as well, though I assume we won't find out until the preorders ship out. The lavalier mics I use to record audio from my engine bay and my exhaust end up clipping at the lowest level on my K-1 ii.

04-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

Has anyone found a video with AF-C for dynamic action (think basketball, not car racing)?
04-20-2021, 06:45 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Nayu Quote
The lavalier mics I use to record audio from my engine bay and my exhaust end up clipping at the lowest level on my K-1 ii.
Hmmm, it sounds like some of us are having more fun than certain others of us who have not participated in those kinds of activities for quite some time! What machine and circumstances are we talking about here? Inquisitive minds are curious
04-20-2021, 10:29 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
Has anyone found a video with AF-C for dynamic action (think basketball, not car racing)?

so far the best I've seen is
and I'd love to see more independent AF-C reviews before deciding if I want to upgrade from KP

04-21-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
so far the best I've seen is this and I'd love to see more independent AF-C reviews before deciding if I want to upgrade from KP
Good find! For anyone wanting to skip right to it, 2:15 talks about the high continuous shooting speed, 3:12 is a demo with a cute dog running towards the camera, and 3:47 shows someone ice skating.

I'd definitely like to see more than 10 seconds in total of AF-C performance (especially in live view without the help of the new AF sensor).

---------- Post added 04-21-21 at 02:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Hmmm, it sounds like some of us are having more fun than certain others of us who have not participated in those kinds of activities for quite some time! What machine and circumstances are we talking about here? Inquisitive minds are curious
Hahaha it's just a Civic and an old Accord. I like going on drives in the early morning to catch the sunrise and in the afternoon/evening for the sunset, thought it would be fun to document those drives for myself. How about you?
05-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #6

Kobie's thread on how the focus points do not illuminate made me feel a bit less enthusiastic
05-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kobie's thread on how the focus points do not illuminate made me feel a bit less enthusiastic
For me that's the sole negative I have so far. I really REALLY want the focus point to be obvious in the viewfinder.

One extremely pleasant surprise is how nicely effective touch focus is in live view.

05-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Would that be a PLM lens like the 55-300 or upcoming 16-50 because they're able to focus more quickly? Or would SDM and DC lenses work too?
For AF-C Video:

KAF4 PLM:
- DA 55-300 PLM - yes, confirmed
- DA* 16-50 PLM - not out yet, but almost certainly yes

Other KAF4 lenses? Mixed messages on this, no one has confirmed one way or the other.
- D-FA* 50 f/1.4 SDM
- D-FA* 85 f/1.4 SDM
- D-FA 70-210 f/4 SDM

Other lenses - No

05-13-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
For AF-C Video:

KAF4 PLM:
- DA 55-300 PLM - yes, confirmed

Other KAF4 lenses? Mixed messages on this, no one has confirmed one way or the other.
- D-FA* 50 f/1.4 SDM

D-FA* 50 f/1.4 SDM - doesn't work (tested on firmware 1.0)

DA 55-300 PLM - work with AF-C
I set the focus point - and when I move the camera if refocus on that point.
Haven't tested it with other setting, yet.
05-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
D-FA* 50 f/1.4 SDM - doesn't work (tested on firmware 1.0)
Interesting, thanks for trying that out.
05-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I want to vlog, my trusty Sigma 18-300 is going to get a rest, when the new 55-300 PLM gets here. Fingers crossed it will be worth it....

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 08:14 PM ----------

What kind of mic's work well for you?

Looking at the manual, the K-3 iii should be able to use AF-C while recording video. However, it needs a "compatible lens". Would that be a PLM lens like the 55-300 or upcoming 16-50 because they're able to focus more quickly? Or would SDM and DC lenses work too?

Also, has anyone found a video showing how well AF-C works on the K-3 iii while recording video? I have a Sony APS-C camera for video, but it would be nice to not need to bring 2 systems.

It would be nice to know how the microphone input gain settings compare to the K-1 ii as well, though I assume we won't find out until the preorders ship out. The lavalier mics I use to record audio from my engine bay and my exhaust end up clipping at the lowest level on my K-1 ii.
05-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #12

video is using phase detection method or contrast based method?

any hunting in AFC in video, mainly for 55-300 PLM, if it is afc in correct direction, mostly a phase detection method, (which means the sensor has dual pixel AF like design, like sony canon, means sensor has phase detection built in, which also can be tested in live method photo focus)

if it is contast based, most likely the sensor design is like Panasonic like, as panasonic has contrast based design only, while they did try best to use DFD AI method to improve contrast based AF.
05-16-2021, 04:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
  1. video is using phase detection method or contrast based method?
  2. any hunting in AFC in video, mainly for 55-300 PLM, if it is afc in correct direction, mostly a phase detection method, (which means the sensor has dual pixel AF like design, like sony canon, means sensor has phase detection built in, which also can be tested in live method photo focus)
  1. CDAF
  2. Sensor han't dual Pixel AF, only the K-70 offers this.