Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more quick impression - lack of PEF file support for this model from Adobe and The latest DCU 5 version needs updating. Glad Pentax continues to support the DNG raw format in camera.

04-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
One more quick impression - lack of PEF file support for this model from Adobe and The latest DCU 5 version needs updating. Glad Pentax continues to support the DNG raw format in camera.
There’s a new version of DCU stored on the camera that you can install to your computer. I didn’t have it installed before, so not sure if DCU recognizes there’s an upgrade to get anywhere or not. I imagine the summer updates to ACR/LR will bring PEF support, but hopefully this interlude will break all K-3 iii owners of the silly habit of shooting in PEF anyway. I just wish that we had the full range of Adobe raw profiles available already. I tend to use Adobe Landscape and Adobe Vivid for most of my work, but I can’t for the time being. (I’m planning to break out my Color Checker Passport and just make a custom profile for the time being, since I tend to get better color with those than the default “Color” profile.)
04-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #18
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
PEF
I never really looked into it.
Is there any benefit using PEF over DNG?
I've always used DNG.
04-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've always used DNG.
None that I’ve ever heard that are based on anything more than rumor and innuendo. Some people have picked up the idea online that native raw formats are better than DNG, but that’s always coming from Canikony folks whose cameras don’t natively shoot DNG, and so I see no reason that a Pentaxian should listen to those ideas.

04-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #20
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
There’s a new version of DCU stored on the camera that you can install to your computer. I didn’t have it installed before, so not sure if DCU recognizes there’s an upgrade to get anywhere or not. I imagine the summer updates to ACR/LR will bring PEF support, but hopefully this interlude will break all K-3 iii owners of the silly habit of shooting in PEF anyway. I just wish that we had the full range of Adobe raw profiles available already. I tend to use Adobe Landscape and Adobe Vivid for most of my work, but I can’t for the time being. (I’m planning to break out my Color Checker Passport and just make a custom profile for the time being, since I tend to get better color with those than the default “Color” profile.)
Just found the DCU install in the manual - should've read it all before. Installation and resulting version went from 5.8.6 to 5.9.1 and was quick on my iMac with MacOS Big Sur.
04-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just realized a change in the card slots for the K 3 III

card slot #1 is the one closest to the back

that is opposite of the K 3, K 3 II and K 1 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-24-2021 at 08:44 AM.
04-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You know we're all waiting for some world class photos with links to full res raws and ooc jpgs right? It's snowing and cold here today, and I expect it's similar there in Edmonton, but get crackin

Seriously no pressure, but world class photos are needed...

04-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
You know we're all waiting for some world class photos with links to full res raws and ooc jpgs right? It's snowing and cold here today, and I expect it's similar there in Edmonton, but get crackin

Seriously no pressure, but world class photos are needed...
It's sunny and 46ºF/8ºC, headed up to 55ºF/12ºC here in Sioux City today. Going out to shoot baseball with the DA*300mm, 55–300 PLM, and Tamron 70–200 f/2.8 here in a little bit. I'll have something to report somewhere around here when I get back.
04-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

It's sunny and 46ºF/8ºC, headed up to 55ºF/12ºC here in Sioux City today. Going out to shoot baseball with the DA*300mm, 55–300 PLM, and Tamron 70–200 f/2.8 here in a little bit. I'll have something to report somewhere around here when I get back.
Sweet!
04-24-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
None that I’ve ever heard that are based on anything more than rumor and innuendo. Some people have picked up the idea online that native raw formats are better than DNG, but that’s always coming from Canikony folks whose cameras don’t natively shoot DNG, and so I see no reason that a Pentaxian should listen to those ideas.
Yup! The criticisms of dng stem from those who use Adobe dng converter or similar which seem to mess with all sorts of things in your files. Besides the size dng's have the advantage of embedding Pentax colour profiles which can be used by some software.
04-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Yup! The criticisms of dng stem from those who use Adobe dng converter or similar which seem to mess with all sorts of things in your files. Besides the size dng's have the advantage of embedding Pentax colour profiles which can be used by some software.
I don't think my K-70 could embed color profiles, because I just noticed "Embedded" as a profile option in LrC with a couple of the raw files from the K-3 iii. I had good light for shooting my ColorChecker passport, so I made a custom profile for the time being. How does the embedding work? Is it just one Pentax profile, or is it tied to the custom image? I guess I could just pick some over the top custom image setting and try importing to see what the embedded profile looks like there, but someone who has used it might be able to tell me more.
04-24-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #27
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just did a quick check of two images in the new k3 iii, one DNG and 1 PEF. The DNG file was tad larger and both converted in camera to TIFF resulted in the same size files. I'll keep it on DNG unless a need arises to go back to PEF.
04-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've always used DNG.
I've always used PEF for RAW files, but that means waiting for photo software to update to handle the new cameras. Should I switch to DNG?
04-24-2021, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People have been debating this for years. PEF was the earlier Pentax Raw standard but DNG has been one of the two Pentax raw formats for many years. I think most of us use DNG now because the PEF advocates have not provided compelling reasons to use the less well supported format. DNG is native on Pentax. I am unaware of any disadvantage to using DNG on Pentax and I have tried both formats.
04-24-2021, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Inital reaction

I like it