Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 153 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 06:07 PM - 16 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Initial Reaction: K-3 III

I'm patiently sitting here watching my K-3 III charge.
Figured I'd talk about my short time using it with the battery's pre-charge.

Initial Reaction:
The gui is very different than any previous Pentax I've used.
Funny - seems like a put-off at first (have to learn new muscle memory), but having the new learning curve is exciting at the same time.
But some of the menus seem very basic in appearance and very minimalistic.

The build design is very different.
Not only is the grip incredibly refreshing and comfortable (especially compared to my K-70), the aesthetics are also very different.
The pentaprism overhang is substantially different and minimalistic compared to previous models. But hey - it substantially decreases the apparent width of the body and it looks great!
I may consider that the reduced overhang a welcome feature from the Pentax designers because of previous issues with third-party lens issues (Sigma's scratching the K-1).

The eye-cup is all new and larger. I'm a bit worried that I will wear it out because I continuously pull my camera outta a coat pocket and think this bigger cap may see increased wear.
Only time will tell! Maybe it will be fine

The shutter feels substantially different (not only in burst rate) but the leaf-shutter is such a joy to use - coming from the K-70/K-5 this thing is just so impressive!
With my UHS-II SD cards and taking a couple bursts - I know that neither buffer nor clear will be an issue for my photography.

What's very apparent, and what will be the biggest learning curve for me, is how to master the new AF system.
I was very comfortable with focus-recompose with my previous cameras, and the tracking was nothing I depended on.
But this camera is a new beast clearly and the joystick/settings are altogether new in this area.
I can't wait to see what this thing can do.

Silly snap shots, indoors with poor lighting, look more interesting and capable.
Outdoor shots have huge dynamic range capturing lots of highlights.

I've only ever held K-3 and K-1 a couple times before this K-3 III, and never really learned the gui and handling of those cameras, but to jump from the K-70/K-5 to this camera is just incredible.

And trees are just about in bud flush! So glad this arrive in time for summer!
This is going to be an awesome weekend!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 04-23-2021 at 06:19 PM.
04-23-2021, 06:38 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the report

don't stop
04-23-2021, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. I hope you have good weather and a chance to get out and about with the K-3 iii. Please keep us updated, and post a photo or two.
04-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like the report

don't stop
The charging light flashes every 5 seconds......

04-23-2021, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
.....and I just realized the K-3 III has the same batteries as my K-5, smh
had charged ones the whole time
04-23-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm patiently sitting here watching my K-3 III charge.
Figured I'd talk about my short time using it with the battery's pre-charge.

Initial Reaction:
The gui is very different than any previous Pentax I've used.
Funny - seems like a put-off at first (have to learn new muscle memory), but having the new learning curve is exciting at the same time.
But some of the menus seem very basic in appearance and very minimalistic.

The build design is very different.
Not only is the grip incredibly refreshing and comfortable (especially compared to my K-70), the aesthetics are also very different.
The pentaprism overhang is substantially different and minimalistic compared to previous models. But hey - it substantially decreases the apparent width of the body and it looks great!
I may consider that the reduced overhang a welcome feature from the Pentax designers because of previous issues with third-party lens issues (Sigma's scratching the K-1).

The eye-cup is all new and larger. I'm a bit worried that I will wear it out because I continuously pull my camera outta a coat pocket and think this bigger cap may see increased wear.
Only time will tell! Maybe it will be fine

The shutter feels substantially different (not only in burst rate) but the leaf-shutter is such a joy to use - coming from the K-70/K-5 this thing is just so impressive!
With my UHS-II SD cards and taking a couple bursts - I know that neither buffer nor clear will be an issue for my photography.

What's very apparent, and what will be the biggest learning curve for me, is how to master the new AF system.
I was very comfortable with focus-recompose with my previous cameras, and the tracking was nothing I depended on.
But this camera is a new beast clearly and the joystick/settings are altogether new in this area.
I can't wait to see what this thing can do.

Silly snap shots, indoors with poor lighting, look more interesting and capable.
Outdoor shots have huge dynamic range capturing lots of highlights.

I've only ever held K-3 and K-1 a couple times before this K-3 III, and never really learned the gui and handling of those cameras, but to jump from the K-70/K-5 to this camera is just incredible.

And trees are just about in bud flush! So glad this arrive in time for summer!
This is going to be an awesome weekend!
So I take it you are duly impressed??
04-23-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So I take it you are duly impressed??

04-23-2021, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #8

To the OP- excellent idea for new thread! Totally looking forward to others contributing their first or early impressions.
04-23-2021, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
To the OP- excellent idea for new thread! Totally looking forward to others contributing their first or early impressions.
It is a great idea....immediate impressions after you open the box and hold the camera for the first time.
04-24-2021, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds great. I am excited to hear (and see) how the shooting experience is with the K-3 III. First new Pentax for quite awhile and sounds like it is a winner!
04-24-2021, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

TX for the nice report. The menu UI is indeed very different, but if it's inspired on the UI as Ricoh implements in the GR III, once they're used to it, I think most users will find it an improvement.

Wim

04-24-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #12

Thanks for sharing. Happy for you (and excited for me as I wait) I had wondered why you didn't have an older battery already precharged and waiting to go. May I ask what you are using for SD cards?
04-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
May I ask what you are using for SD cards?
I bought two of these guys:
Kingston Canvas React Plus
Kingston Canvas React Plus Class 10 UHS-II SDXC Memory Card, 64GB w/ MobileLite Plus SD Reader - Secure Digital Cards (SD) - Memory Express Inc.

This might be a good thread too:
K-3 III - Recommend SD Cards? - PentaxForums.com
04-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #14
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still haven’t gotten around to all the new features like the sfn button and dial. The joystick is a game changer for moving the focusing points/grid around while holding at eye level. I really like the ui changes on the lcd screen, much more functional.
04-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Still haven’t gotten around to all the new features like the sfn button and dial. The joystick is a game changer for moving the focusing points/grid around while holding at eye level. I really like the ui changes on the lcd screen, much more functional.
The LCD screen is incredibly more functional, especially for me coming from the K-70. For all the whingeing about no flippy screen, this is still going to be a useful camera on tripods with what’s packed onto the LCD. And of course handheld with everything in the viewfinder. Just having the level visible in both those places all the time is going to save me from a bunch of listing images