Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have used my silver K 3 III for a while now

with different lenses

and it has a problem - operator error

but I will keep working at it because I like the K 3 III

and no, I am not an award winning photographer
LOL!

My K3 Mark III suffers from that as well...

And judging from your Flickr photos you should be!

05-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and it has a problem - operator error
Lol, that's probably the biggest problem most of us will be confronted with. I'm still discovering features on my old K-3 II, and I do tend do dive deep as it is.
Though it seems the new menus might make things easier?

05-09-2021, 03:52 AM   #168
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Lol, that's probably the biggest problem most of us will be confronted with. I'm still discovering features on my old K-3 II, and I do tend do dive deep as it is.
reading the menus

and the manual too I guess

I guess you mean totally

now that's a new thought
05-09-2021, 03:55 AM   #169
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
LOL!

thanks for the kind thought but

I don't put in the time and effort to ever be one

05-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #170

My initial reaction to the K-3MkIII

sorry Ricoh/Pentax, I have to return this camera...you made it to damn easy...
05-13-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
LOL!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
sorry Ricoh/Pentax, I have to return this camera...you made it to damn easy...
I’ve always said I’m a highly trained unprofessional at just about anything I do just saying….

JJ
05-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #172
Pentaxian

GPS via phone

My K3iii arrived a few hours ago, and I have been slowly setting it up and taking a few test shots with some DA Limiteds. It's a really slick machine! The lightness of the shutter is a revelation after the (by no means noisy) K1.

However, there is one thing I haven't been able to get working. Can anyone help? It concerns GPS and my android phone.
  • I have paired the K3iii with my Android phone, via both Bluetooth and WiFi.
  • In the Spanner 4 menu, I have Store Location Info to ON.
  • At the top of the rear LCD when shooting, it shows the Bluetooth icon, as well as a filled in satellite icon. According to p 121 of the manual, the filled in satellite means "no positioning". An unfilled satellite means either 2D or 3D positioning.

Consequently, there is no location data embedded in the DNG files. This can be checked using the Info button, second screen, when viewing the playback image, and also in my photo software on my computer.

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone managed to get this working?

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-14-2021 at 12:11 AM.
05-14-2021, 12:26 AM - 3 Likes   #173
Veteran Member

Got mine today.... OMG.... the silver grip looks awesome.... (sorry couldn't help myself....)
05-14-2021, 12:42 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
However, there is one thing I haven't been able to get working. Can anyone help? It concerns GPS and my android phone.
  • I have paired the K3iii with my Android phone, via both Bluetooth and WiFi.
  • In the Spanner 4 menu, I have Store Location Info to ON.
  • At the top of the rear LCD when shooting, it shows the Bluetooth icon, as well as a filled in satellite icon. According to p 121 of the manual, the filled in satellite means "no positioning". An unfilled satellite means either 2D or 3D positioning.

Consequently, there is no location data embedded in the DNG files. This can be checked using the Info button, second screen, when viewing the playback image, and also in my photo software on my computer.

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone managed to get this working?
Hmm... you're not saying anything about the Image Sync application - is it running?
05-14-2021, 01:42 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... you're not saying anything about the Image Sync application - is it running?
My own experience with these types of apps and GPS and Android is: It does need a lot of fiddling and checking and tweaking in the OS of the specific phone hardware model.
Basically the un-defintion / openness of Android is the root cause. And the trigger is that all makers implement very different ways of power saving functions which interfere with some apps in unpredictable ways. For each and every phone model it reacts differently.

I can only suggest you ensure that the image sync app is running all the time in the background and the user has ensured that it has a) all the needed rights and b) all power management for the app has been completely switched off.

Sadly even that sometimes is not good enough. I tried 5 GPS tracker apps and only 2 of the 5 did not loose GPS data after a couple of minutes in the background of Android on one phone.
05-14-2021, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, I have it running, and have done some further tweaks to permissions on the phone, and it works now!

According to page 1 of the wireless manual, "When the operating system of the communication device is iOS, use `Image Sync' to connect the camera to the communication device". My phone is Android, so it wasn't clear that Image Sync was actually needed for location tracking (as distinct from image transfer, where it clearly is). However, it appears to do the trick. The actual icon shown on the camera LCD screen is a filled satellite with a phone in the foreground; I didn't see that in the manual!

It seems to me that the manual falls somewhat short of completeness.
05-14-2021, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #177
Site Supporter

Received on Wednesday....

....and simply delighted. It is denser (weightier) than imagined but feels good in the hand. I know that I'll have to read the manual at some point but for now all the buttons and functions seem to fall into the right place.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine arrived on yesterday (Friday), and I've been spending some time trying to come to grips with the new menu structure.
A bit confusing at first, as the menus on the K-3 II and K-1 have become second nature. I think it will take a bit of time to become really familiar.
AF fine adjust is a bit off relative to my K-3 II and K-1. They don't need any AF fine adjust for my DFA 150-450 or mt DA*300, but thus far I'm getting a -8 for the DFA 150-450 and a 0 for the DA* 300 for K-3 III, which doesn't seem right.
Might have to spend a bit more time redoing those checks to be sure.
Overall it seems quite good. Yet to get some decent weather to get out and see how it performs with the birds.

Cheers,
Terry
05-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This amateur is - overwhelmed by the number of buttons and feeling guilty about only using a couple
Nearly thought about selling: in the context of my photography, this camera is way way beyond most of my needs and capabilities - but - the high ISO performance and auto-focus are so brilliant that it'll stay (I didn't feel that way about the K1, it was love at first look through the viewfinder, so I didn't even notice the viewfinder improvement on the K3 - spoilt, that's me).

In the mad flurry on April 1 to get the best price, I inadvertently bought the premium kit, with grip, and thought I would sell the extras. Never felt the need for a grip - but - tried it, and it's also a keeper . Even though my hands are small, the grip somehow balances the lenses and makes me take a more stable stance - similar to the (gripless) K1. It's a bit too conspicuous though, signalling "pro" (I'm not, I'm really really not). But for the sake of more keepers from shaky hands, I'll put up with it

As for the camera itself, apart from the mild irritation at having to learn my way around menus and buttons, the joy stick makes it so easy to move focus points, that I may end up retraining the centre-focus-move-and-shoot habit developed with my first ever DSLR a few decades ago. And learn to use AF-C. (They say you keep young by learning, at this rate I'm about to become a teenager with their first DSLR.)

The much-neglected but admired DA* 50-135 is now behaving like a lens should, focussing fast enough instead of being a snail .

This may well be the last camera I buy (oh, wait, K1-iii with better auto-focus? ) - time to put the old K3 on the market and let some-one else have a try.

And other than saying how blessed I feel that years of work and frugality have enabled me to indulge in this way, I'll stop babbling and get back to checking for lens adjustments
05-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just came across a new twist.
If you set the 'Lock' button, everything appears to be locked.
I am in Av mode and with 'Lock' set I am unable to change aperture with the rear e-dial.
The story on page 46 of the manual suggest that the buttons and dials to be disabled by 'Lock' can be selected, but I'm blowed if I can see a way of making a setting so that the e-dials are not disabled.
This is quite different default behaviour to the use of 'Lock' on the K-1.
Anyone have a solution for this?

Cheers,
Terry