Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 153 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2021, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #226

Totally appreciate long descriptive initial impression write ups! After all that is what this thread is for... refreshment for those of us thirsting for more feedback.

05-26-2021, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
After all that is what this thread is for... refreshment for those of us thirsting for more feedback.
I got my K-3 III a week ago and the first thing I wanted to check out was how it performs together with my F*250-600/5.6. I have used this lens with K-7, K-5, K-5 II and K-3. When I got my K-3 in 2013, it was really a big dissapointment and frustration that it didn't focus properly with this lens. About 25% of the images was unusable because the focus was either a little bit in front or a little bit to far away. K-3 wasn't precise enough. So the last 7 years I have used my F*250-600/5.6 with my K-5 II only.

With K-3 III this is going to change. K-3 III nails focus almost every time. It is certainly better than my K-3 and also better than my K-5 II. When it doesn't nails it, it is because of other things like me or grass/branches in the way and so on.

The picture is taken with the K-3 III and F*250-600/5.6. It was starting to get dark and the exposure was 6 seconds with f5.6. K-3 III focused fast and without any adjustments 2 or 3 times afterwards as we Pentax users know so well. When I look at this picture at 100% in lightroom, it is as sharp as it can be :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by StigVidar; 05-26-2021 at 10:33 PM.
06-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #228

Photos: Gallery
Okay, I am going to provide more than just my “initial” reaction because I wanted some time to play with the camera. I already owned the K-5 and the K-1 (and an istDL).

I definitely noticed how nice the optical viewfinder is. It’s clear and bright with lots of status info. I did need to review the manual to figure out a few icons.

Some mistakes: Starting out I accidentally turned off the status screen and couldn’t figure out how to turn it back on. I also turned on “Link AE and AF point” in the capture screen. It is probably good for birding or portraits but it gave me some underexposed shots when doing general shooting, so I turned it back off.

I don’t mind the new menu, but you need to pay attention to which “column” the cursor is in. I agree the order of items in the menu doesn’t always make sense.

I love the joystick for image review. I did change the Zoom Review Focus Magnification to Off so the rapid zoom always goes to the middle of the frame. Default is to zoom in on the focus point. (I am usually taking landscapes, so there usually isn’t just one thing I am checking focus on.)

I like the Touch Focus in Live View. I did change the setting in LV Shooting Touch AF to AF Point + Focus. This automatically adjusts the focus when you touch the screen. The default setting selects the focus point but doesn’t actual adjust the focus immediately.

I miss having the live view as a button. Now it is a dial. I would often switch between LV and the OVF to check focus and that is harder with the dial. It is fine if you are always in live view or always using the OVF.

The noise is low up to at least 1600. I can’t wait to try some astro shots... the weather has not been cooperating! I am hoping if the noise is low enough, I can just bump up the iso and not use my Astrotracer for Milkyway shots.

Some of the icons on the info screen are small, but as you scroll, the function name shows up on the top line of the screen, so if you don’t recognize the icon you just scroll over it.

The Bluetooth setup was a little confusing, but luckily I had some Forum members who figured that out for me. Thanks!

The shots with my DA 16-85 are great. I haven’t had as much time shooting with my other lenses.

The AF is fast, but I mostly do landscapes, so it is less important to me. I used to shoot sports primarily with manual focus. I will have to try some shots in AF mode.

Overall, I like the camera. My intent was to upgrade my K-5, which I take with me when I fly and use my K-1 for serious shooting in situations where I am driving.

Now I just need some dark, clear nights to get some star shots!
06-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I miss having the live view as a button. Now it is a dial. I would often switch between LV and the OVF to check focus and that is harder with the dial. It is fine if you are always in live view or always using the OVF.
You can program a button to have LV with a single button press :-)

06-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #230
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

only a few members have filed an " owners review " of the K 3 III so far

Pentax K-3 III - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

but they are very informative
06-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Pentax K-3 III - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
When I saw those reviews I thought WOW! so many 10's, this is the most perfect camera Pentax has ever made. I have considered making a review too, but I have too many founded points of critique, so I'm not adding my contribution to bring those numbers down to a more realistic level. Pentaxians are very sensitive to that, and it would too much harm my reputation on this forum.
06-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

I'm still growing in to it. My fingers regularly do the wrong thing. Besides, I'm currently in lockdown, and the weather is awful anyway. Later.

I will note though that I've just about given up doing any noise reduction in post processing for this camera.

P.S.: By the way, the K3iii is back in stock at pentax.com.au. Australians should get in quick.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-07-2021 at 03:39 PM.
06-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I will note though that I've just about given up doing any noise reduction in post processing for this camera.
Paul, there is a way to access the DXO PhotoLab 4 DeepPrime feature in the DNG file. It seems to work pretty well. Here is what I do, I use a program called ExifPilot to edit the Mk III DNG maker notes to indicate that the file is from a Pentax KP which allows me to do image processing with specific limitations but you can apply DeepPrime with this technique but you can't do any RAW sharpening at all. After processing the DNG and exporting the JPEG file I change the maker notes file back to reflect a Pentax K-3 Mk III. Try it as a work around until there are profiles for the Mk III. I've gone back to shooting only DNGs as of now.

Larry
06-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Paul, there is a way to access the DXO PhotoLab 4 DeepPrime feature in the DNG file. It seems to work pretty well. Here is what I do, I use a program called ExifPilot to edit the Mk III DNG maker notes to indicate that the file is from a Pentax KP which allows me to do image processing with specific limitations but you can apply DeepPrime with this technique but you can't do any RAW sharpening at all. After processing the DNG and exporting the JPEG file I change the maker notes file back to reflect a Pentax K-3 Mk III. Try it as a work around until there are profiles for the Mk III. I've gone back to shooting only DNGs as of now.

Larry
Thanks Larry. However, what I meant to say is that I rarely see the need for any noise reduction with K3iii pictures.
06-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Thanks Larry. However, what I meant to say is that I rarely see the need for any noise reduction with K3iii pictures.
Gotcha! Over the past five years I've become addicted to shooting DNG and and just can't kick the habit using the Mk III. The SOOC from the camera JPEG engine is superb and pretty noiseless.