Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #2191
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
very clever...what software did you use to stitch them together?
I used the Photo Merge option in Lightroom.

10-01-2022, 04:11 AM - 4 Likes   #2192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bed and Breakfast (DA *16-50mm PLM)

My wife and I stayed in this bed and breakfast a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the high iso performance of the K-3 III. This photo was shot at iso 6400 and then I pushed it another 1.5 stops in Lightroom. Previous APS-C cameras definitely would have looked pretty bad with this sort of pushing. There certainly is noise there, but considering the iso this is really good performance.

Pumpkins (DA *16-50mm PLM)

Pumpkins (DA *16-50mm PLM)

10-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #2193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Bed and Breakfast (DA *16-50mm PLM)
I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the high iso performance of the K-3 III. This photo was shot at iso 6400 and then I pushed it another 1.5 stops in Lightroom. Previous APS-C cameras definitely would have looked pretty bad with this sort of pushing. There certainly is noise there, but considering the iso this is really good performance.
Did you try noise reduction programs. On my oppinion DxO makes the noise on ISO 6400 of K-3 III almost invisible even on 100% zoom without noticeable loss of detail. With this combination I use 6400 without any concern.
ps. I dream of 16-50 PLM
10-02-2022, 03:17 AM - 4 Likes   #2194

HD*DA 16-50mm PLM

10-02-2022, 02:52 PM - 7 Likes   #2195
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA* 16-50 PLM on K-3III, 50mm with F/2.8, ISO 100, 1/1000s. Cropped to ~8.7Mp (~3600x2400).

Honeybee by k kwb, on Flickr

Also attached is a 1-to-1 crop of the bee's head.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #2196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impressive!
10-03-2022, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #2197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunset (DA *16-50mm PLM/pixel shift)

10-03-2022, 09:11 PM - 4 Likes   #2198
Pentaxian

My new K-3 III continues to way outperform my K-3 which I was happy with!!! All were taken using my DA* 60-250mm mounted on the Pentax HD 1.4X Teleconverter. All have also been cropped.

10-08-2022, 04:27 AM   #2199
Pentaxian

High-ISO (51200) test with DxO Photolab 6 new DeepPrimeXD engine. Does not work as well out of the box with the K-3iii; requires some fine tuning and results I get are only marginally better than (the already excellent) Deep Prime standard. With other cameras instead the new algo seems much more robust.

10-08-2022, 05:48 AM   #2200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
High-ISO (51200) test with DxO Photolab 6 new DeepPrimeXD engine. Does not work as well out of the box with the K-3iii; requires some fine tuning and results I get are only marginally better than (the already excellent) Deep Prime standard. With other cameras instead the new algo seems much more robust.

Do you suppose that's due to the baked raw?
10-08-2022, 08:16 AM   #2201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Do you suppose that's due to the baked raw?
My guess is that the answer is yes, but one should have more information on the exact machine learning workflow behind DeepPrime. My guess (again, pure speculation) is that it consists of a generic deep learning model that is trained on their full database of cameras and sensors to learn a "universal" set of weights. The model architecture is most likely a convolutional neural network of some sort. This pretrained model is then fine-tuned on each camera model, perhaps by only adjusting the weights of the final layers of the network. This is a relatively common workflow in AI applications for image processing (the idea is related to the concept of transfer learning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_learning). It is more or less established that Pentax models with the accelerator chip apply a level of preprocessing to the RAW files that is "well above average". This makes Pentax files a sort of outlier in this dataset. It is therefore reasonable to expect that the model adapts best to the most common type of RAW files that are not preprocessed so aggressively. Naturally, due to some level of fine-tuning of the model by retraining on a small camera-specific database (I suppose), it works acceptably well even on these "peculiar" raw files. As a matter of fact, I am under the (subjective) impression that Deep Prime somewhat treats the files from my K3 "better" than the K-3iii...

I think that maybe one of the reasons behind Pentax's choice of not allowing to disable the accelerator chip is that handling of Pentax raws by noise reduction algorithms would become a nightmare, because the software should infer from the EXIF whether or not in-camera NR was applied, and treat the two types of files as if they came from two different camera models. Only very basic noise reduction algorithm with no camera-dependent profiles would work reliably, meaning that the user should manually adapt the available parameters. But anything more sophisticated would be a mess unless there is the option to select different sub-profiles with and without in-camera NR.
All in all, I am not a fan of this choice, the simple solution would be to have it always off in RAW and apply it to Jpeg only...

Last edited by simon_199; 10-08-2022 at 08:22 AM.
10-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #2202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw a spider on my bathroom mirror, put the DFA 100 WR macro on the K-3 III and shot the spider handheld (see the spider here), far away from close focus distance. Spider didn't seem to like it, dropped something onto my mirror and hid behind the mirror. I went to grab my tripod, put it onto my sink, added the Raynox 250 to the front of the lens, took some shots of the thing with different settings. Mirror Up mode, PixelShift, developed with DxO (don't know if that uses the full potential of the file or just a single frame though), stacked 6 frames with CombineZP, cropped to show just the structure. Was about 1mm wide. And I thought it had dropped some eggs, but turns out this is just crap? Oh well... but this is magnified crap!

Spider Droppings on the Mirror
10-08-2022, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #2203
Pentaxian

Crescent

With DA300 and HD DA1.4x

10-08-2022, 10:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2204
Pentaxian

Photos from a Japanese summer festival in Southern California taken with the DFA 24-70/2.8.
Attached Images

10-08-2022, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #2205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Saw a spider on my bathroom mirror, put the DFA 100 WR macro on the K-3 III and shot the spider handheld (see the spider here), far away from close focus distance. Spider didn't seem to like it, dropped something onto my mirror and hid behind the mirror. I went to grab my tripod, put it onto my sink, added the Raynox 250 to the front of the lens, took some shots of the thing with different settings. Mirror Up mode, PixelShift, developed with DxO (don't know if that uses the full potential of the file or just a single frame though), stacked 6 frames with CombineZP, cropped to show just the structure. Was about 1mm wide. And I thought it had dropped some eggs, but turns out this is just crap? Oh well... but this is magnified crap!

Spider Droppings on the Mirror
Interesting experiment. I have the same question about DxO support of Pentax pixelshift raw files. Digging some old threads it seems that it wasn't supported right away and support was added later, hence I suppose that the support is proper and uses all files. Even though there is probably no motion correction unless it's already built into the raw files. I did some experiment at high-iso and it seemed to produce much less noise which is the expected by-product of using multiple shots (not necessarily pixel-shifted).