Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 43
Here are a few high-ISO shots. I was taking pics of my daughter's high-school soccer game which started at dusk and finished in the dark, with field lighting. Since my 55-300mm PLM lens hasn't arrived yet, I was shooting with my trusty Sigma 28-300 (or something like that) and nervous about autofocus. Therefore used TAv and with 1/1000 while some natural light, and for these 1/750 sec, f6.3, which seemed to be the sweet spot for focus and freezing movement, with the camera adjusting ISO as needed. I was amazed at how well ISO 36000 came out. These aren't going to be printed poster size obviously, but do a fine job for seeing the kids playing. And I love that the noise doesn't look blotchy, it looks like film grain. Pentax really improved it by an order of magnitude, not just another level or so. (Of note, I selected these pics not because the best, but because there isn't a lot of faces in them, as no permissions, though was a public even of course).


I do wish they could work on color tints at high-ISO. Even though the pics had white jerseys and socks on one team, there is a pronounced color tint in the high-ISO pics, that was not present for the earlier junior varsity game at more normal ISOs (200-400).


These pics have only been reduced in size and converted from DNG to JPG during the export from LR, without other editing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #452
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 3City agglomeration
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 339
With Sigma 17-50 f2.8

SOOC: f2.8, 50mm, 1/200s, ISO400
Custom Image: reversible film + retro filter

05-29-2021, 10:16 AM - 5 Likes   #453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,714
Some bird shots taken today at fairly high ISO. All significant crops, as is usual for this kind of shot. Minimal sharpening, no noise reduction.

Baltimore Oriole - ISO 4000



First year male Orchard Oriole - ISO 3200



Eastern Kingbird - ISO 2000

05-29-2021, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #454
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,533
QuoteOriginally posted by BBooDad Quote
Here are a few high-ISO shots. I was taking pics of my daughter's high-school soccer game which started at dusk and finished in the dark, with field lighting. Since my 55-300mm PLM lens hasn't arrived yet, I was shooting with my trusty Sigma 28-300 (or something like that) and nervous about autofocus. Therefore used TAv and with 1/1000 while some natural light, and for these 1/750 sec, f6.3, which seemed to be the sweet spot for focus and freezing movement, with the camera adjusting ISO as needed. I was amazed at how well ISO 36000 came out. These aren't going to be printed poster size obviously, but do a fine job for seeing the kids playing. And I love that the noise doesn't look blotchy, it looks like film grain. Pentax really improved it by an order of magnitude, not just another level or so. (Of note, I selected these pics not because the best, but because there isn't a lot of faces in them, as no permissions, though was a public even of course).


I do wish they could work on color tints at high-ISO. Even though the pics had white jerseys and socks on one team, there is a pronounced color tint in the high-ISO pics, that was not present for the earlier junior varsity game at more normal ISOs (200-400).


These pics have only been reduced in size and converted from DNG to JPG during the export from LR, without other editing.
Nice photos. I was just wondering if WB is a bit off? I donít see colour vast, i think it is way too green/brown all in all.

---------- Post added 05-29-21 at 22:06 ----------

Coupel from me from today.


FA 31




D FA 50/2.8





Macro is so much more easy with this. It does find focus so fast. Nailed that little fly like nothing even if it was windy and flower + fly was moving(this is why faster shutter speed). And those colours...

05-29-2021, 08:40 PM - 6 Likes   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
longbow's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 904
Was finally able to get out with my new K-3 III with a hike in the Olympic National Park, all photos with the DA 16-85mm






05-29-2021, 11:27 PM - 18 Likes   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 63
I took a walk in the neigbouring Plenty Gorge Park for my lockdown exercise yesterday. These were all taken with the 55-300mm PLM. I'm not usually a BIF shooter but I did manage to get some nice images of some Currawongs chasing insects. The autofocus, as many have found, really is quite good.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-29-2021, 11:43 PM - 3 Likes   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: L.A. County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 362
Here are some shots taken in a parking garage and with available light. First photo is at ISO 2500. Last two shots were taken at ISO 12800. No noise reduction in post. I definitely love the high ISO on the Mk III. The high ISO on the Mk I was a disappointment to me, especially coming from the K-5 IIs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-30-2021, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
K2 to K50's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ipswich QLD Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,267
QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
I took a walk in the neigbouring Plenty Gorge Park for my lockdown exercise yesterday. These were all taken with the 55-300mm PLM. I'm not usually a BIF shooter but I did manage to get some nice images of some Currawongs chasing insects. The autofocus, as many have found, really is quite good.
That Currawong shot with the insect is a superb BIF!! It looks so totally in focus. You can see the insect almost just hanging in the air, the currawong focused (!!!) on it.

Beautiful capture!!

05-30-2021, 05:41 AM - 6 Likes   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
PintofDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 37
With DA 300mm and 1.4x
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-30-2021, 09:11 AM - 6 Likes   #460
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
DA*300+HDDA1.4x
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,507
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Nice photos. I was just wondering if WB is a bit off? I donít see colour vast, i think it is way too green/brown all in all.

---------- Post added 05-29-21 at 22:06 ----------

Coupel from me from today.


FA 31




D FA 50/2.8





Macro is so much more easy with this. It does find focus so fast. Nailed that little fly like nothing even if it was windy and flower + fly was moving(this is why faster shutter speed). And those colours...
Excellent shots, the Mk III nails most of my shots, the photographer doesn't do such agreat job in my case
05-30-2021, 10:04 AM - 4 Likes   #462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,507
Pentax K-3 Mk III IR Mode in Custom Image Settings

Still not comfortable with DCU 5, waiting on DXO to finish their Mk III profiles, but here is one from a couple of days ago trying out the IR Mode in Custom Image setting.

Pentax K-3 Mk III IR Mode in Custom Image Settings
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
05-30-2021, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #463
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,533
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Excellent shots, the Mk III nails most of my shots, the photographer doesn't do such agreat job in my case
Thanks!

I think that it really does make a lot of difference. I'v not really made up my mind with what kind of post process I want with this camera, but almost anything is possible.


Here is couple from my way back from my workshop from today with DA*16-50









I could turn down col and vib, but I want to see where this will lead to. So far I'v been enjoying this little camera.

---------- Post added 05-30-21 at 22:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
I took a walk in the neigbouring Plenty Gorge Park for my lockdown exercise yesterday. These were all taken with the 55-300mm PLM. I'm not usually a BIF shooter but I did manage to get some nice images of some Currawongs chasing insects. The autofocus, as many have found, really is quite good.
Great set! AF is amazing, and seems to be even more so with PLM lenses.. cool!

---------- Post added 05-30-21 at 22:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Here are some shots taken in a parking garage and with available light. First photo is at ISO 2500. Last two shots were taken at ISO 12800. No noise reduction in post. I definitely love the high ISO on the Mk III. The high ISO on the Mk I was a disappointment to me, especially coming from the K-5 IIs.
Great captures. I'v not yet tried to see how far I can go with ISO, but looking of examples they do look very nice. I think this is huge leap all in all. I have had K-3 original too. And I have K-1. This camera is better than both of them.
05-30-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 63
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
That Currawong shot with the insect is a superb BIF!! It looks so totally in focus. You can see the insect almost just hanging in the air, the currawong focused (!!!) on it.

Beautiful capture!!
Thanks! I was lucky that the Currawongs were out in force on Saturday. They gave me a lot of opportunity for practice!
05-31-2021, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #465
sbc
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Photos: Albums
Posts: 134


DA*55mm. Straight OOC. No editing or cropping, only size reduction.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, apr, aps-c, crop, da, dropbox, dslr, flickr, focus, fox, hd, image, job, jpeg, k-3, k-3 iii, k-3 mark 3, k3 iii, life, photographer, photos, plm, post, post your k3, screw, teleconverter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3 III Vol 9 Eebll Pentax News and Rumors 67 04-02-2021 07:21 AM
Pentax K-3 Mark III (R03010) - Additional pictures Mistral75 Pentax News and Rumors 594 12-15-2020 04:56 PM
Pentax K-3 Mark III camera AF points arrangement and internal pictures Pelto Pentax News and Rumors 6 12-11-2020 04:44 AM
Post Pictures of your Silver K3 with Black Lenses? haziz Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 4 11-15-2013 04:37 PM
Who can post pictures in the post your pictures category? Sitting Bull Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-14-2010 05:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top