QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
just leaving the nest
1. great-crested grebe on a fishing trip
1. Lesser Whitethroat

with the af-c on zone with subject recognition
yesterday it was more or less the same settings as with the K1 but it was more decisive and faster. With zone and subject recognition i have an extra problem. Too many keepers :-) Camera locked straight on the bird.

1. Savi's Warbler in the reeds

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2021 at 13:01 ----------

1. linnet

Awesome photos. Great subjects, composition, light usage, postprocessing, photographer. And the camera also supports.

These are the types of images Ricoh should use for advertising.

And I definitely am not one to throw around lots of "likes"- comments for photos.

04-28-2021, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #107

Another out of the camera, down-sized with Image Sizer for Windows. Yes I have another expensive hobby - breeding registered pedigree cats!

PS any of you that know anything about what a Siamese should look like will spot the pale eyes...

Name:  IMGP0007_1024.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  92.7 KB

Last edited by fifescapes; 04-28-2021 at 11:03 AM.
04-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Golden Eagle through the mesh of its enclosure at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

hand held, MF K 3 III + Smc PENTAX-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

SOOC
With prior Pentax autofocus, if you're behind a screen you almost have to switch to manual because the camera will just focus on the screen. For example, behind the plate at a baseball game, or behind the netting on the sides of an indoor soccer game. Did the mesh give you any problems?
04-28-2021, 02:15 PM - 8 Likes   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hope I'm not posting too much here, but this is another situation that I was impressed with while initially trying out the K3MarkIII. I was able to follow this sparrow as it crawled through the grass with the Pentax 150-450mm at 450mm, and when it came out into the light, I pressed the shutter and ended up with three nearly identical shots. The shutter is so sensitive and fast, I might have to set continuous shooting speed to medium for most cases.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
04-28-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #110
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Hope I'm not posting too much here, but this is another situation that I was impressed with while initially trying out the K3MarkIII. I was able to follow this sparrow as it crawled through the grass with the Pentax 150-450mm at 450mm, and when it came out into the light, I pressed the shutter and ended up with three nearly identical shots. The shutter is so sensitive and fast, I might have to set continuous shooting speed to medium for most cases.
With the setting on high, I’ve already had to re-think my thoughts on UHSii card size
04-28-2021, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #111
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
With prior Pentax autofocus, if you're behind a screen you almost have to switch to manual because the camera will just focus on the screen. For example, behind the plate at a baseball game, or behind the netting on the sides of an indoor soccer game. Did the mesh give you any problems?
My experience differs

At times, using the appropriate f stop I can use af

Other times as you state, the af jumps from the mesh in front of the subject to the subject and back

this photo of the Golden Eagle was AF

others I had to use manual focus
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-28-2021 at 04:16 PM.
04-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #112

Hope I'm not posting too much here,
No need to feel reserved or apologetic for posting photos here! That's what this thread is for- and most everyone is excited to see photos and hear details regarding the performance and conditions surrounding the image (pro or con)!

04-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #113
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope I'm not posting too much here, . . .
not sure that is possible
04-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #114

Photos: Albums
1. Lesser Whitethroat

with the af-c on zone with subject recognition
Stunning image.
04-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I shoot through screens all the time. If its focusing on the screen get closer to the screen. It will melt into oblivion.

Unfortunately screens, netting, mesh and chain link make for dog ugly bokeh IMO.
04-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My experience differs

At times, using the appropriate f stop I can use af

Other times as you state, the af jumps from the mesh in front of the subject to the subject and back

this photo of the Golden Eagle was AF

others I had to use manual focus
I never get tired of seeing photo's of birds of prey, especially eagles. Not so keen on vultures though!!
04-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I shoot through screens all the time. If its focusing on the screen get closer to the screen. It will melt into oblivion.
Yup. All four lacrosse games I shot this year had to be shot through the fence. (One of these days they will realize that I am not an idiot and let me through the fence.) I tend to need to shoot some baseball through netting if I want to get shots behind home plate. Shove the lens hood up against the fence/netting and it’s not there.
04-28-2021, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Yup. All four lacrosse games I shot this year had to be shot through the fence. (One of these days they will realize that I am not an idiot and let me through the fence.) I tend to need to shoot some baseball through netting if I want to get shots behind home plate. Shove the lens hood up against the fence/netting and it’s not there.
Well, I'm normally not touching the fence.... a passed ball / wild pitch can be painful. It's a favourite PoV with great pics.
04-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Well, I'm normally not touching the fence.... a passed ball / wild pitch can be painful. It's a favourite PoV with great pics.
I usually just get into that position for a couple of pitches when there’s good light on the pitcher’s face and call it good. Had more close calls with foul balls coming at me down the first base line.
04-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I Had more close calls with foul balls coming at me down the first base line.
Yikes! Are you insured?