Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12863 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #736
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Going through some pics I found this one I seriously doubt my first K3 would have captured as the K3-iii did. Likely as not I would have ended up with an out of focus raptor and in focus power pole. After watching him dine on the fish atop another pole, he took off to deliver it to his mate and their two young'uns.
The second image shows the larger of the two nestlings testing his wings, I doubt it will be long before he leaves the nest. Both images OOC crops
Great shot bspn! What AF settings were you using? I'm a long-time K3 owner who's recently bought the K3iii and I'm wondering whether it's worth giving AF.C another go. I never used it on the K3 as I found it was hit-and-miss, so I've become quite proficient at nailing focus for kids soccer games using AF.S and centre point only...

07-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by speagles2 Quote
Great shot bspn! What AF settings were you using? I'm a long-time K3 owner who's recently bought the K3iii and I'm wondering whether it's worth giving AF.C another go. I never used it on the K3 as I found it was hit-and-miss, so I've become quite proficient at nailing focus for kids soccer games using AF.S and centre point only...
Definitely use AF.C you will be pleased. You are losing much of the the functionality that the Mk III brings. Here are a series of AF.C shots that you could never get with AF.S center focus. A few Mk III continuous A/F tracking from yesterday - PentaxForums.com Here are a series of shots of a bicycle rider coming toward me they are consecutively numbered and are SOOC and at ISO 4000 something the K-3 Mk I would never be able to do https://www.flickr.com/photos/109130208@N03/51257393291/in/dateposted-public/ the series is numbered consecutively with all the EXIF data there.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-30-2021 at 07:23 PM.
07-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #738
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bspn: Now that's the osprey I'm lookin' for! Nice shot. Maybe by the end of summer I'll get it right.
07-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Going through some pics I found this one I seriously doubt my first K3 would have captured as the K3-iii did. Likely as not I would have ended up with an out of focus raptor and in focus power pole. After watching him dine on the fish atop another pole, he took off to deliver it to his mate and their two young'uns.
The second image shows the larger of the two nestlings testing his wings, I doubt it will be long before he leaves the nest. Both images OOC crops
Great shots - the in-flight shot is outstanding! I am still trying for shots like that. At best, my latest BIFs could be said to be "getting there".

K3 iii with 150-450, experimenting with various combinations of AFS, AFC, Spot and Small Selected, burst modes, varying shutter and aperture combos, etc.

I read (and probably will re-read a few more times), this recent thread:
Bird photography hit rate - PentaxForums.com.

A highly-recommended thread, with many of the contributors being Forumites (new term??) who have posted outstanding images.

07-31-2021, 12:52 AM   #740
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Definitely use AF.C you will be pleased. You are losing much of the the functionality that the Mk III brings. Here are a series of AF.C shots that you could never get with AF.S center focus. A few Mk III continuous A/F tracking from yesterday - PentaxForums.com Here are a series of shots of a bicycle rider coming toward me they are consecutively numbered and are SOOC and at ISO 4000 something the K-3 Mk I would never be able to do Pic0230_DxO | Autofocus Tracking test. | Larry Mc | Flickr the series is numbered consecutively with all the EXIF data there.
Thanks - certainly nailed the guy on the bicycle! I'll have to do some experimenting... :-)
07-31-2021, 01:06 AM - 4 Likes   #741
Forum Member

Playing with the K3 iii + Sigma 100-300 F4 EX DG APO + Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO teleconverter + AF360FGZ II.

I really love the 100-300/F4 and use it all the time for kids' soccer, but I've had the matching teleconverter in my bag ever since I bought the lens a couple of years ago and never use it, so I thought it was about time I gave it a go. I also think it's about time I learned a bit more about using flash, something I also almost never do. So I wiped the thick layer of dust off the teleconverter and the flash and popped into the garden in the drizzle to try a few test shots.

This guy landed right in front of me while I was looking through the camera, so this is just a snap SOOC with just default processing in Lightroom from the DNG. Direct flash with P-TTL + manual exposure about 1 stop under. I'm pretty happy with the sharpness with the teleconverter :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
07-31-2021, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #742
Forum Member

Just another couple of test shots with the K3 iii / Sigma 100-300 F4 EX DG APO + 1.4x teleconverter

The first one was just beyond the limit of the range of the flash, so it's been pulled up by 1 stop in Lightroom, and cropped pretty heavily. The second was a just a test shot without the flash with the same manual exposure settings, so that one was seriously underexposed, but just for fun I kept it and pulled it up by 3 stops in LR - not bad dynamic range :-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-31-2021, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #743
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Play!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 31-07-21 at 11:14 PM ----------

The Old Wool Shed
08-01-2021, 04:38 AM - 10 Likes   #744
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Olive-backed Oriole
08-01-2021, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Great lighting!
08-01-2021, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Holy Cow, Rob - how did you end up in a position to take this shot? It's a beauty!
08-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #747
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Great lighting!
Thanks! I confess I took quite a few shots in order to get one where its head was in the sun.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Holy Cow, Rob - how did you end up in a position to take this shot? It's a beauty!
I was lucky - the Oriole wanted to drink from the rain water in the tree hollow so much that it was prepared to do it while keeping an eye on me. I suspect that the sap from the tree may make the rainwater sweet. This is the first time I've seen an Oriole out in the open; normally they hide amongst the branches except to fly quickly from tree to tree. They are more often heard not seen.
08-02-2021, 03:04 PM - 5 Likes   #748
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
55-300 PLM
From a boat tour of Assateague Island, VA
08-03-2021, 06:04 AM   #749
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Great shots - the in-flight shot is outstanding! I am still trying for shots like that. At best, my latest BIFs could be said to be "getting there".

K3 iii with 150-450, experimenting with various combinations of AFS, AFC, Spot and Small Selected, burst modes, varying shutter and aperture combos, etc.

I read (and probably will re-read a few more times), this recent thread:
Bird photography hit rate - PentaxForums.com.

A highly-recommended thread, with many of the contributors being Forumites (new term??) who have posted outstanding images.
Thank you and thany you again for the link!

---------- Post added 08-03-21 at 06:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
bspn: Now that's the osprey I'm lookin' for! Nice shot. Maybe by the end of summer I'll get it right.
Luckily this pair decided to nest not far from the house, offering me many opportunitites to practice, practice...

---------- Post added 08-03-21 at 06:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by speagles2 Quote
AF.C and either spot or the next bigger one. I too have upgraded from the K3 and find the K3-iii way better. Not that the K3 was bad, the K3-iii is amazing. My challenge will be when the raptors begin migrating back south to see how many more BIF shots are keepers.
08-03-2021, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #750
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still practicing/learning about this remarkable piece of equipment and each day I am more impressed Just for background, sitting taking a break and watching the ducks and this fellow swoops in to inspect the pond. For chance "opportunities" usually leave the camera set on Program and in RAW format. The lens (seemingly has become the one of choice for walk arounds) was the DA* 50-135. The camera responded to the challenge capturing this image handheld at f2.8 1/400 ISO 125 80mm at about 100 yards. Technology is wonderful!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF