Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12866 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Lovely! I so miss Tasmania. No chance of going there right now.
Thanks, Rob. Some of us Taswegians are champing to go the other way!

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
VERY nice and thanks for posting, I've been wondering about this kind of detail level on the K3III for landscape and am happy to see this type of shot looking good.

I looked at your Flickr post at it's largest posted size and it's impressive, especially for APSC @ f3.2 @ iso800.

I'm curious, Exif says roughly 28mm was used on your zoom, did you crop that in post? The perspective looks a bit more natural than what I picture 28mm giving.
Either way, nice shot, thanks for posting.
Eric
Thanks, Eric. No crop involved. Normally, I’d have taken the K-1 for work like this, but, having forked out for the K-3iii, I’ve been exploring the limits of its usefulness. My preliminary impression is that it’s good for a lot of handheld landscape and, provided you’re willing to tote a tripod and occasionally use a smartphone connection for lower work (or even, maybe, a Refconverter), for more.

08-26-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #842
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No doubt! I'm looking forward to direct flights from Canberra being restored.
08-26-2021, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

Thanks, Eric. No crop involved. Normally, I’d have taken the K-1 for work like this, but, having forked out for the K-3iii, I’ve been exploring the limits of its usefulness. My preliminary impression is that it’s good for a lot of handheld landscape and, provided you’re willing to tote a tripod and occasionally use a smartphone connection for lower work (or even, maybe, a Refconverter), for more.
I'm an idiot... As I reread my post and your reply, I did a face-palm when I remembered the crop factor and that 28mm on crop is what I'm used to seeing at 42mm on my K1. DOH! Guess its been a while since my crop days and I now "see" in full frame again like my old film old days, and that's the only excuse I have for such a silly blunder. I'm still quite happy to hear that the K3III is quite usable for such things as detailed landscapes.
Eric
08-27-2021, 01:27 AM - 12 Likes   #844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With 15mm Ltd, on some weekend trip

08-27-2021, 04:06 AM   #845
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
With 15mm Ltd, on some weekend trip
Wow! The clarity of the image is amazing!
08-27-2021, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is almost SooC (I only straightened it a bit).

And thank you, though it is thanks to Pentax craftsmanship But yeah, it was my first time with 15 Ltd on K-3/3 and I was pleasantly surprised with quality of pictures. I was a bit afraid that it will lack resolution on new sensor, but it seems that Pentax done great job.
08-28-2021, 09:09 PM - 7 Likes   #847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Red Tail Black Cockatoo.
Pentax 150-450.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
08-29-2021, 01:01 AM   #848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Red Tail Black Cockatoo.
Pentax 150-450.
What a great capture! Right place, right time, and great execution!
08-29-2021, 02:06 AM   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
What a great capture! Right place, right time, and great execution!
Thank you! Still trying to get a decent shot of them flying.
08-29-2021, 11:53 AM - 4 Likes   #850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember the days when your K-3 II with an old 55-300 would sound like a power screwdriver as is racked to infinity and back trying desperately and unsuccessfully to latch onto a bird flying by? I'm going to go ahead and say that the K-3 Mark III with the 55-300 PLM is a tiny bit better at capturing and keeping focus on birds in flight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-29-2021, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leftover Salmon playing the local outdoor venue. Really fun energetic show!

DA* 16-50

Last edited by mattb123; 08-29-2021 at 02:05 PM.
08-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Remember the days when your K-3 II with an old 55-300 would sound like a power screwdriver as is racked to infinity and back trying desperately and unsuccessfully to latch onto a bird flying by? I'm going to go ahead and say that the K-3 Mark III with the 55-300 PLM is a tiny bit better at capturing and keeping focus on birds in flight.
You have the "steady hand",,,nice job!
08-29-2021, 06:47 PM - 7 Likes   #853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are various photos taken with the 55-300 PLM, all at 300mm and cropped. I know there has been discussion of the sharpness of this lens at 300mm but these seem pretty reasonable to me, especially the Noisy Mynah on the bird bath.

For stationary birds with a noisy background, I find that switching from Auto Area or Zone Select to Select to be a bit more accurate. I also fine tuned the lens at 300mm using the Dot Tune method. This worked pretty well but you need 15m of clear space to do it.

I also used Topaz DeNoise AI on a couple of them which also adds a bit of extra sharpening.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-29-2021, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
These are various photos taken with the 55-300 PLM, all at 300mm and cropped. I know there has been discussion of the sharpness of this lens at 300mm but these seem pretty reasonable to me, especially the Noisy Mynah on the bird bath.

For stationary birds with a noisy background, I find that switching from Auto Area or Zone Select to Select to be a bit more accurate. I also fine tuned the lens at 300mm using the Dot Tune method. This worked pretty well but you need 15m of clear space to do it.

I also used Topaz DeNoise AI on a couple of them which also adds a bit of extra sharpening.
Great set of bird pics!

I have always found the 55-300mm PLM to be very sharp - so much so that when a shot doesn't quite make the focus, I always blame myself, as the sharp ones have been very sharp.
08-31-2021, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #855
Pentaxian

I dont have PLM 55-300, and I do have old WR version. I can only say that it hunt less with K-3III than it did with original K-3. Still it is quite slow screwdrive compared to many other lenses with screwdrive. But when you are close infinity with birds it won't hunt and it is fast, althou it is not the sharpest close infinity. New K-3III does make these old lenses work much better than any model before. That is for sure.

HD DA 55-300 WR

DA 40/2.8 XS

« K3III or Kf? | - »