Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12755 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2022, 09:53 AM - 7 Likes   #2341
Pentaxian

1/72 P-40N model

I have another hobby that I am passionate about besides photography: models. I don't get enough time so my projects drag on for months. Here is one I that is finished. I suffer from what is known as AMS (advanced modeller syndrome). It means I cannot just build it out-of-the-box thus saving time. In this case, I updated the cockpit details with aftermarket. Also the wheels and ammo bay in the wing. The sliding canopy was done by heat forming clear plastic over the kit part thus getting a thinner, more accurate look. I airbrushed the paint and did weathering with oil paint and a silver pencil.

As for the photos, I used my 50mm 1.8 "plastic fantastic" with a +1 close up lens screwed on it. Not having any good lights, I used a utility lamp and a large piece of white styrofoam to bounce and distribute the light. Having to hold this lighting scheme up with both hands, I had to shoot manual with 12 second timer. No hands available to do metering.

I need to try the "WiFi Commander" software to help with focus stacking. However, using f14, I was able to do acceptable model shots.

Messy workbench view:
This one was taken with Sigma 24mm Macro

Last edited by Lloyd_Christmas; 11-27-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Lens info
11-27-2022, 05:00 AM - 5 Likes   #2342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the Slide (DA *16-50mm PLM)

11-27-2022, 07:50 AM - 7 Likes   #2343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Orion in the cedars. Orion is much more prominent to the eye, I'll have to work on my astro skills to figure how how to get it to pop more in photos.

11-27-2022, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #2344
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
I have another hobby that I am passionate about besides photography: models. I don't get enough time so my projects drag on for months. Here is one I that is finished. I suffer from what is known as AMS (advanced modeller syndrome). It means I cannot just build it out-of-the-box thus saving time. In this case, I updated the cockpit details with aftermarket. Also the wheels and ammo bay in the wing. The sliding canopy was done by heat forming clear plastic over the kit part thus getting a thinner, more accurate look. I airbrushed the paint and did weathering with oil paint and a silver pencil.

As for the photos, I used my 50mm 1.8 "plastic fantastic" with a +1 close up lens screwed on it. Not having any good lights, I used a utility lamp and a large piece of white styrofoam to bounce and distribute the light. Having to hold this lighting scheme up with both hands, I had to shoot manual with 12 second timer. No hands available to do metering.

I need to try the "WiFi Commander" software to help with focus stacking. However, using f14, I was able to do acceptable model shots.

Messy workbench view:
Great work and highly detailed and accurate model and beautiful pictures! I would love to see more pictures of your models

11-28-2022, 01:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have another hobby that I am passionate about besides photography: models. I don't get enough time so my projects drag on for months. Here is one I that is finished. I suffer from what is known as AMS (advanced modeller syndrome). It means I cannot just build it out-of-the-box thus saving time.
AMS will turn into OMS (old modeller syndrome) and you will start to build OOB and paint with brushes. I know, I am there currently
11-28-2022, 08:06 PM - 6 Likes   #2346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying out the GPS tracker again, with the DA50. This was pretty fun, I tired the same exposure, but with no tracker, it's definitely working!

11-28-2022, 09:42 PM - 13 Likes   #2347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Barred Owl just hanging out and a Red Tail Hawk having lunch. Shot with the D FA 150-450 on a completely overcast rainy day.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
11-29-2022, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #2348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Messy workbench view:
Nice work. A few years ago I was at an airshow and there was a two seater P40 that you could get a ride in. A one hour ride could be had for $1,800. I did some quick calculations a found that I could fly to my son's house have the pilot do a few passes and then fly home. It would have made me the cool grandpa. It was so tempting.
12-01-2022, 12:40 PM - 10 Likes   #2349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISO 10k thanks to overcast sky and DA* 300 on the 1.4 converter. Those are developed with DxO PL6, but they are only slightly better than the ooc jpegs. I think I might have gotten better results without the TC, enabling lens correction modules for sharpness in DxO.

European Goldfinch

European Goldfinch
12-01-2022, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #2350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
ISO 10k thanks to overcast sky and DA* 300 on the 1.4 converter. Those are developed with DxO PL6, but they are only slightly better than the ooc jpegs. I think I might have gotten better results without the TC, enabling lens correction modules for sharpness in DxO.

European Goldfinch

European Goldfinch
Nice shots, gorgeous bird! Gotta love the ISO range on the K3iii.
12-04-2022, 04:55 AM - 9 Likes   #2351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Img0133

one simple picture from morning walk

12-04-2022, 11:55 AM - 4 Likes   #2352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q: what do you do when you see some mushrooms when you're out looking for birds with a long lens and TC?
A: just get down and take some pictures handheld

December Mushrooms

December Mushrooms
12-04-2022, 02:52 PM - 6 Likes   #2353
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to see the hint of red crown of a ruby-crowned kinglet. It's hard to see unless the bird erects the patch for display.
K-3III, DA*300, DA1.4x HD and cropped to ~10.5Mp.

Ruby-crowned kinglet by k kwb, on Flickr
12-04-2022, 10:02 PM - 3 Likes   #2354

I have another hobby that I am passionate about besides photography: models.
Excellent finish on the P-40, especially in 1/72. Which kit did you end up going with? Please show us more models when possible.

What I've managed so far this year, thanks to motivation from group builds

1/72 Airfix A6M2b

1/72 Great Wall Hobby F-15C
12-05-2022, 06:54 AM - 5 Likes   #2355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3iii does well as a studio camera.

Last edited by bobbotron; 12-05-2022 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed unicode emoji, didn't render.