Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Does Yvon Bourque already own a copy of the K-3 III ?
Adam is taking care of this one. I don't know who specifically is organizing it.

04-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Haven't seen it in the manual, but it was discussed before release. I think one of the early hands-on videos from Japan highlighted this.

It will take some getting used to, but I expect the primary card is easier to pop out compared to its position in previous models.. . .
the labeling of the SD cards, # 1 and #2, is shown on page 41 of the manual in a diagram but the change is not noted in any description
04-25-2021, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the labeling of the SD cards, # 1 and #2, is shown on page 41 of the manual in a diagram but the change is not noted in any description
The arrows point pretty clearly to which slot is which, so this seems like a pretty minor thing.
04-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The arrows point pretty clearly to which slot is which, so this seems like a pretty minor thing.
it is

It just something I missed and caused me confusion

I record RAW ( DNG ) in slot 1 and JPEG in slot 2 )

It is opposite of the set up of the previous cameras

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-26-2021 at 03:25 AM.
04-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Because user modes save your smart function configuration, I think that will help a lot. I’m kind of envisioning that I will mostly use U1–U5 once I get them set up the way that I want. With the five additional boxes for user modes, I can stash away a user mode for a while if I’m not in need of it and put something more commonly used on the dial.
My initial hunch would be that configuring the smart functions differently for the different user modes would make things pretty confusing to me. But perhaps it could be worth experimenting with indeed.
04-26-2021, 05:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
My initial hunch would be that configuring the smart functions differently for the different user modes would make things pretty confusing to me. But perhaps it could be worth experimenting with indeed.
I think that I will probably have the same four or five features on the smart function in my modes, but I really like that I can set different AF presets for my sports mode compared to a street mode. For drive mode, I really just need single shot, high, and medium in sports. In the mode I need to put together for HDR landscapes, I would basically want bracketing and mirror up. For white balance, a mode used only outdoors basically can get by with the outdoor white balances. Then I could have a different user mode with the artificial light white balances for indoor shooting.
04-26-2021, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I think that I will probably have the same four or five features on the smart function in my modes, but I really like that I can set different AF presets for my sports mode compared to a street mode. For drive mode, I really just need single shot, high, and medium in sports. In the mode I need to put together for HDR landscapes, I would basically want bracketing and mirror up. For white balance, a mode used only outdoors basically can get by with the outdoor white balances. Then I could have a different user mode with the artificial light white balances for indoor shooting.
Ah, I see, you would want to configure the options within the smart functions rather than the actual selection of smart functions. Makes sense indeed. The GR III doesn't allow to go that far, so I expect the K-3 III will not either. But it is a great idea.

Wim

04-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Wouldn't it be so easy if one could write a User Mode file from one camera out to an SD card, then load it into another?
Yes, newer cameras will have functions and features that older cameras don't have, but I've got customised "Starstream" and "Astrophoto" settings (amongst others) in my K-70 and KP that I'll want to have on my K-3iii - I've yet to find the enthusiasm to sit there and scroll through all the settings, find the equivalents on the K-3iii, then transfer them one by one
04-27-2021, 02:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Wouldn't it be so easy if one could write a User Mode file from one camera out to an SD card, then load it into another?
Yea, would be a nice feature.
Meanwhile, at least for the K-1 this option exist:
The Spectacular K-1 User Mode Sharing Service! - PentaxForums.com
04-27-2021, 04:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, newer cameras will have functions and features that older cameras don't have, but I've got customised "Starstream" and "Astrophoto" settings (amongst others) in my K-70 and KP that I'll want to have on my K-3iii - I've yet to find the enthusiasm to sit there and scroll through all the settings, find the equivalents on the K-3iii, then transfer them one by one
That would e useful. I suspect it would only be supported for two cameras of the same model.

For finding things in the menus, don’t forget about the menu correlation tables: K-3 Mark III Menu Correlation Table : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
04-27-2021, 11:47 PM   #26
Pentaxian

That would e useful. I suspect it would only be supported for two cameras of the same model.

I'd anticipate simply ignoring any setting that one model didn't have and importing the settings the target camera "knows about", maybe with a message as to what didn't get transferred. The biggest problem may be finding sufficient code space in the camera to include the new routines. Each setting and sub-setting could be allocated a hex-code, so there'd probably need to be a master "translation table" for each model and firmware variant, with space to add new features as they become available, but once the basis had been established, updating could be no more than adding a few hex codes at the end of the table

Afterthought :- maybe just a read/write routine within the cameras and an external translation module on the computer to do all the hard work ?

Last edited by kypfer; 04-27-2021 at 11:50 PM. Reason: afterthought
04-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd anticipate simply ignoring any setting that one model didn't have and importing the settings the target camera "knows about", maybe with a message as to what didn't get transferred. The biggest problem may be finding sufficient code space in the camera to include the new routines. Each setting and sub-setting could be allocated a hex-code, so there'd probably need to be a master "translation table" for each model and firmware variant, with space to add new features as they become available, but once the basis had been established, updating could be no more than adding a few hex codes at the end of the table

Afterthought :- maybe just a read/write routine within the cameras and an external translation module on the computer to do all the hard work ?
One probable issue regarding that: This new K3 III has a new operating system (Linux?) too, unique from any previous Pentax DSLR and more similar to the GR's. Transferring settings from your old KP or whatever would need to parse between the old OS and the new which isn't likely here.

Now going forward I would not be at all surprised if settings and more could be transferred to a new K3 IV. I also suspect adding or fine-tuning features along with more frequent version updates will now be simplified as well. Looking forward to the first firmware update for our new K3 III's!
04-28-2021, 05:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Looking forward to the first firmware update for our new K3 III's!
1.01 arrived last night. I’ve already installed it.
04-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

1.01 arrived last night. I’ve already installed it.
Changelog?

EDIT: Ok, looks like general stability stuff. Let us know if you see anything in particular. I usually wait a day or three before doing any electronics updates so love any comments you might have concerning this one.
I guess what I should have said originally is I can't wait for the .1x update,
04-28-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Changelog?
There’s one on the download page. It has more details than usual, but it also doesn’t mention that the exposure compensation indicator bug has been fixed. I have installed and confirmed that bug is fixed, too.