Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wish I had not seen that comparison chart...

Steve
Seems like there is a lot what one can customise...

04-29-2021, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love new cameras. Mainly because the forum gets filled with real users discussing real photography topics. Hope it keeps up for a long time
04-29-2021, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those wondering about the whole 4GB/7 min. I have the answer. 7 min 25 seconds is the max you can record in 4K.
04-30-2021, 02:00 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
For those wondering about the whole 4GB/7 min. I have the answer. 7 min 25 seconds is the max you can record in 4K.
Have you tried also if you can get info off the video screen when it is not recording(clean feed). So, from settings LV/monitor all off and from info back display off, and in MF. Will it give to you ’just’ the screen you are viewing?

Thanks!

Edit: don’t know ifyou are going to pair it with HDMI to anything, but if you are, any info about that would be approciated.

04-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep...noted in an earlier post. No chess games.

Steve
05-16-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I wish Pentax would remove video recording all together from all bodies without SCN ( scene mode ) option.
Keep video on budget models but remove it completely from all upmarket ( semi & professional ) bodies.
Canon and Nikon have both tried models with no video. both attempt Bombed Badly.
Fact is, the vast majority of DSLR buyers, want video that is better then their phones.

Sony has now released a phone with HDMI In that can connect directly to their Mirrorless bodies with HDMI and USB in parallel, to use the Phone as the screen and streaming processor for the Mirrorless camera.
This is how important video is to the vast majority of DSLR and Mirrorless buyers, that demand is so high that the biggest electronics company in the world will make a premium phone just for monitoring and streaming from their camera products.

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I suspect that one of the conundrums with video testing is that those who know something about video are waiting for testing, and the early adopters don’t know much about video to do testing. If those who would like some video testing would give some ideas of what they’re looking for in a test (with specific details so I don’t mess it up!), I might be able to do some. I also have my own web host, so I think I could post video files direct from the camera somewhere for people who want to inspect a video file for themselves.
I suspect you are correct. And, that is a very generous offer.

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
1) recording duration test.
Set the camera to 4K / 30 video recording
start recording
Look how much time the camera allows you to record. On other Pentax cameras, there will be a count down.
You don't necessarily need to wait all the way to the end. You can stop the recording earlier. But it would be appreciated if you did record the whole thing.
Recording Duration is not a technical matter, but a Tarrifs-In-Europe matter - Video Recorders are taxed higher then 'Camera's in the EU - goes back to when 'camera' meant 'film'.

Note on Overheating - it's been a non-issue for me - I've recorded from fresh battery to empty battery on my K-01's, which is about 4 hours total with manual lens, pressing the record button immediately after file stop.

The ONLY time I've seen the Overheating symbol, was with the K-01 in direct sunlight on a 38 degC day in Melbourne. Moving to shade, camera was ready to go after only a few minutes.

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Wasn't the HD bitrate of previous cameras a very low bitrate?
And isn't a 3x higher bitrate still very low, if it has to suffice for 4x the pixels (4k vs HD)?
Yes, and Yes, still too low.

19 to 21 mBits on the APSc models, then up to 24 on the KP and maybe the K-1

Test show around 80mBits for 4K on the K-3iii, compared around 200mBits "All I-Frame" for the same on a GH-4, GH-5, A7s, A7s2, etc.

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I did an entire night of public speakers, using a K-1, a Panasonic GH5 and two GoPros.
"Only" four cameras?

Where's your live vision mixing?

Boogie Man Bar on Hoddle St on Wednesday, Live stream "The Tune Up" by In Pit Lane,... I'm adding at least three more cameras this week. (19th May 2021)
Yes, you can come say hi, but I think it's a Metal band this time...

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Would be interesting to see a pro shooter review the video capabilities.
I offered to do that to CRKennedy here in Australia, the reply was "They would be doing their own video testing in house" and publish later - that was only 3 weeks ago as I type, so with luck, we'll see the results soon.
That will determine whether I add a K-3iii to my K-01's, JVC HD7, Sony VG900, Canon XL-H1 and AJA Cion.

C.R.Kennedy Imaging - YouTube

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Not buying it. We are talking about a bug fix in firmware here, not a significant change to the hardware that would drive up the price of the camera in any meaningful way. The good news is that Pentax could still do the right thing and fix it in an update.
Wondering, would the same be true for updating the code to get 10 bit output from the HDMI encoder?

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-16-2021 at 03:40 AM.
05-16-2021, 04:54 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Recording Duration is not a technical matter, but a Tarrifs-In-Europe matter - Video Recorders are taxed higher then 'Camera's in the EU - goes back to when 'camera' meant 'film'.
Well, for Pentax it seems to be about more than that. Many manufacturers limited their cameras to 29 minutes and 59 seconds to comply with EU rules and avoid the tax.
I can't really figure out where 25 minutes came from. Maybe the Pentax lawyers are more conservative than Canon, Nikon and Sony, and decided to play it "safe" and cut that down to 25.
Of course now in 4K mode with the 4GB limit it's just 7.5 minutes ...

QuoteQuote:
Note on Overheating - it's been a non-issue for me - I've recorded from fresh battery to empty battery on my K-01's, which is about 4 hours total with manual lens, pressing the record button immediately after file stop.
You can use timed triggers to restart the recording periodically, too. But would still lose frames in the process unfortunately. So you would have to use a second camera at least to avoid losing frames.
Battery is not really an issue for me as I only shoot indoors with AC adapter.

QuoteQuote:
The ONLY time I've seen the Overheating symbol, was with the K-01 in direct sunlight on a 38 degC day in Melbourne. Moving to shade, camera was ready to go after only a few minutes.
Yeah, never seen my K-30 or K-1 II overheat in video mode also. Or in photo. Just never overheated, period.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, and Yes, still too low.

19 to 21 mBits on the APSc models, then up to 24 on the KP and maybe the K-1
Yes, it's 24 Mbps on the K-1 II.

QuoteQuote:
Test show around 80mBits for 4K on the K-3iii, compared around 200mBits "All I-Frame" for the same on a GH-4, GH-5, A7s, A7s2, etc.[COLOR=Silver]
GH5 does 400 Mbps in ALL-I. And no recording time limit.

QuoteQuote:
I played that game with multiple cameras a little bit, but it was really hard to grade the mismatched colors. I'm certainly not the most gifted video editor. 8bpc video on all my video cameras doesn't help for grading.
The footage I get from my GX85 at 100 Mbps in H.264 for 4K30 is mostly satisfactory when I use it as as single camera. I suspect the K-3 III 4K30 at 80 Mbps won't look much worse.
Not clear yet if the sensor area is bigger or not on the K-3 III since it has a crop. If it's the same area as 4K with MFT sensor, it may not actually collect more light.

QuoteQuote:
Wondering, would the same be true for updating the code to get 10 bit output from the HDMI encoder?
Well, the camera would have to do the A/D conversion at 10 bits before it could output 10 bits via HDMI. Not clear if it does on the K-3 III. Is the HDMI output even clean ? And is it 1.x or 2.x ?

05-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

"Only" four cameras?

Well, it wasn't a broadcast, of course. As the end point for a female empowerment public speaking course, it was a 'recording for posterity and feedback'.

I hadn't done anything like it before, the results (which including having to learn Premiere Elements) are very amateurish. Without say in the venue, there was no dedicated lighting or even a microphone for the speakers. I didn't choose a neutral enough profile for the K-1 so there's a slight mismatch colour wise with the GH5S in the source footage. No external sound recording, I just went with the Panny's. So much I'd do differently next time - I've even bought a secondhand Zoom H4n for audio.

My mate and I weren't being paid for the evening, so it was a justified learning experience, I reckon.

Boogie Man Bar on Hoddle St on Wednesday, Live stream "The Tune Up" by In Pit Lane,... I'm adding at least three more cameras this week. (19th May 2021)
Yes, you can come say hi, but I think it's a Metal band this time...[COLOR=Silver]
Um, not completely out of the question, PDR, but by the look of it, it's a recording for an RMIT show, right? A stills photographer popping in and out of the frame to get shots would be unwelcome. If I was the director, I'd eject me from the space!

Last edited by clackers; 05-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
05-16-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

I must have the "special edition..." I got about 9+ minutes on a vlog. I guess it depends on how much data your recording in your scene. (obviously.)
05-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I must have the "special edition..." I got about 9+ minutes on a vlog. I guess it depends on how much data your recording in your scene. (obviously.)
That's interesting. All I'd seen so far is "about 7 minutes". I wonder what the limitation is based on?
05-16-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
That is bizarre! I'll do a test in lower light so there isn't as much detail to record and see if that makes a difference.
05-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #87

Thanks for that, very helpful. I was planning on shooting some 4K at an outing this summer.
05-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's interesting. All I'd seen so far is "about 7 minutes". I wonder what the limitation is based on?
I believe it's based on the when you hit 4gb's of data. It was one of my office vlogs, so it was fairly dark, iso 3200 and the scenery didn't change too much. I'm guessing less data per frame/scene.

It was this video, it breaks at 9:14 minutes:

Last edited by Qwntm; 05-17-2021 at 06:33 AM.
05-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Oh, and while we are discussing the K-3iii video shortcomings, I see from the available EU manual (English) that there is no 25p or 50p frame rate setting for anything. Nobody in the UK or much of Europe will be buying this camera for its video - which seems to be a "we don't really care" afterthought by Ricoh. On the margin, this will be a deal breaker if not added in say firmware, for me and some others anyway. My previous Pentax DSLRs all have this option, and I have used them all occasionally for 25p or 50i video.

Sometimes it's the little things that matter, even in expensive semi-pro technology.

Last edited by Dave L; 05-17-2021 at 03:37 PM.
05-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Oh, and while we are discussing the K-3iii video shortcomings, I see from the available EU manual (English) that there is no 25p or 50p frame rate setting for anything. Nobody in the UK or much of Europe will be buying this camera for its video - which seems to be a "we don't really care" afterthought by Ricoh. On the margin, this will be a deal breaker if not added in say firmware, for me and some others anyway. My previous Pentax DSLRs all have this option, and I have used them all occasionally for 25p or 50i video.

Sometimes it's the little things that matter, even in expensive semi-pro technology.
I'm pretty sure that Pentax only uses what's natively available from the sensor without upscaling, re-encoding, or other conversions. Whatever comes with the sensor directly is what we get with no extras.
At least that's how it seems.