Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, overheating hasn't gone away. The Canon R5 is only good for 20 minutes of 8k before it overheats, that's a big full frame sensor.

The GX85 is a little m43 sensor and the Samsung phone sensor is even smaller.
Do we even know if the sensor is what causes the overheating, rather than other components ?

It would be extremely coincidental if the overheating happened to occur just at the mark when the file size hits 4GB. Restarting the video recording ASAP away has not caused overheating in the past. It didn't in my Canon T3i with Magic Lantern auto-restart feature, and that's a camera that's over 10 years old, also APS-C, with a bigger sensor. Admittedly, that as only HD recording, but chips have gotten much more power efficient in over a decade.

To me, keeping the 4GB limit is just extremely lazy programming by Pentax in 2021. Is there any other 4K camera on the market today that has such a low limit ?

QuoteQuote:
DSLRs are not camcorders, they're most similar to cine cameras, and take their cues from film and TV production - manual focus and exposure, with separate audio capture, and colour manipulation to occur in post.

Shots in a production are not twenty minutes. Twenty *seconds* is an awkwardly long scene, an editor will usually break it up before then.

When shooting B roll, ten seconds is enough, for example.
Maybe so for movies, but for concerts/music recording, 7.5 minutes is quite insufficient. And camcorders just don't do as well as well for those due to small sensors.

04-26-2021, 01:31 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Thanks. Nice bit rate. 3x the HD bit rate of previous cameras.
Wasn't the HD bitrate of previous cameras a very low bitrate?
And isn't a 3x higher bitrate still very low, if it has to suffice for 4x the pixels (4k vs HD)?

7mn47s is pretty lame, tough. Pentax really needs to get rid of that 4GB limit.
(...) limits the 4K recording to at least 25 minutes rather than 7.5 minutes when using an SDXC card.
Maybe so for movies, but for concerts/music recording, 7.5 minutes is quite insufficient.
People, am i missing something? Has anyone with a K3-iii explicitly stated that recording shuts off automatically when a file size of 4GB is reached? You all sound like the camera shuts off recording at that limit, but i can't see that being reported anywhere.
All cameras with this limit i have ever encountered just automatically record to an subsequent 4GB file when the first is "full", without interruption.
I would expect the K3-iii to record to 29m59s, resulting in about 4 subsequent files.

Last edited by Bromberger; 04-26-2021 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo
04-26-2021, 01:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
And isn't a 3x higher bitrate still very low, if it has to suffice for 4x the pixels (4k vs HD)?

People, am i missing something? Has anyone with a K3-iii explicitly stated that recording shuts off automatically when a file size of 4GB is reached? You all sound like the camera shuts off recording at that limit, but i can't see that being reported anywhere.
All cameras with this limit i have ever encountered just automatically record to an subsequent 4GB file when the first is "full", without interruption.
I would expect the K3-iii to record to 29m59s, resulting in about 4 subsequent files.
It is even in tech sheet. 4GB or 25 minutes actually/clip. You’ll have to restart recording manually. Only other possible way to get more than that is via HDMI and/or if they would let us record straight to External USB memory.

In fact, I’d be very happy with last 2 options, if they were available.

If anyone is expecting to have longer record time, they should turn to more video oriented cameras. For me this will be shooting those small clips. Which I’d do while taking photos.

I do have BMPCC to get as long video as I wish(or as long as my SSD last). Latest interview I shot with BMPCC was 9 minutes long and I did do that with 2-4 minute sequenses, each ended up being about 1 minute long. We had to stop in between and retake and retake(as it often is) to make it as good as we could. There has been couple more gigs like that. This could have been done with camera like this. In fact I shot it In FHD to same some space on my HD and it was going to be show’n @720 anyway.

If I need longer recording than that. It is BMPCC time. If I want effective and even handholdable moveable cam movement, it will be K-3III or something similar. In fact great thing is that it has movie SR, so it will help at there too.
04-26-2021, 03:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is even in tech sheet. 4GB or 25 minutes actually/clip. You’ll have to restart recording manually.
I see, thank you!

04-26-2021, 03:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
On my K-1 II it was 24 Mbps actually for 1080/30p, which is not too horrible for HD video for a consumer camera. Low for a pro camera, yes.

QuoteQuote:
It depends on the algorithms, and how much motion there is in what you are shooting. Some cameras use a variable bit rate (a lot of smartphones do this) while others use a fixed bit rate. Pentax is using H.264, which is not the most modern CODEC. Still, tripling the bit rate is a welcome change.

QuoteQuote:
All previous Pentax cameras shut off at 4GB, and need to be manually restarted.
A K-1 II at 24 Mbps in 1080/30p mode could shoot 22 minutes before hitting the 4GB limit, which is pretty close to the other limit, the 25 minutes maximum.
A K-3 III at 75 Mbps in 4K/30p mode on the other hand will only shoot about 7 minutes before hitting the 4GB limit, which is much lower than 25 minutes.
One thing that's not in the camera specs is the bit rate in 4K, which is why I had to ask about it here. IMO, even if Pentax wanted to keep 25 minutes for EU tax reasons, the increase in bit rate should have been accompanied by the elimination of the 4GB limit, at least on SDXC cards which support exFAT and thus >4GB files.

As far as overheating, if it really is still an issue in 2021 with 4K on such a large camera body, there are heat sensors for that, no need to hardcode an arbitrary limit, since heat will depend on shooting conditions.
04-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’v seen one video with 86 mbit/s so it might vary a bit. But good to know it is in 70-90 territory. I’v handeled one video file. And it looked okay. Have you already tried movie SR?
I don’t really do video, so I would have no competence to assess movie SR or experience to compare it to anything else.
04-26-2021, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I don’t really do video, so I would have no competence to assess movie SR or experience to compare it to anything else.
Alright . I’m going to have to buy one my self to see

Pretty easy. Hold camera in hand and try to capture something you have to move the camera, even just slightly. Once with out SR, once with mechanical SR and if possible with digital. You should be able to see the difference quite well.

04-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Has anyone who received their camera tried shooting any ?
How long can you actually record in 4K/30fps before hitting the 4GB limit ?
What's the bit rate for 4K video ?
It's written here:
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
04-26-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I wish Pentax would remove video recording all together from all bodies without SCN ( scene mode ) option.
Keep video on budget models but remove it completely from all upmarket ( semi & professional ) bodies.
I am thinking about getting into video and i would not want to buy all the lenses again and add another system. GBA for one is bad enough but for two systems? I got two kidneys but i dont want to spend them on gear
04-26-2021, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe so for movies, but for concerts/music recording, 7.5 minutes is quite insufficient.
Concerts have been shot forever, including with 35mm film cameras where each reel was only ten minutes. It is standard practice to use more than one camera and cut between them in editing.

I did an entire night of public speakers, using a K-1, a Panasonic GH5 and two GoPros.

Just saying. If you want to look professional, whether it's music or sport, adopt professional techniques.

Last edited by clackers; 04-26-2021 at 03:53 PM.
04-26-2021, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Concerts have been shot forever, including with 35mm film cameras where each reel was only ten minutes. It is standard practice to use more than one camera and cut between them in editing.

I did an entire night of public speakers, using a K-1, a Panasonic GH5 and two GoPros.
That's nice. Not everyone wants to own so many cameras. A single GH5 could have recorded continuously. Not sure about GoPros. Anyway, I think a 7 minutes recording limit in 4K is quite unreasonable. Is there any other camera on the market today that will only record clips that short ?
04-26-2021, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

That's nice. Not everyone wants to own so many cameras. A single GH5 could have recorded continuously. Not sure about GoPros.
You're thinking like a noob again.

The K-1 was for the waist up shot of each speaker, the GH5 for the head and shoulders, one Go Pro captured the room from the front, the other from behind the speaker.

Anyway, I think a 7 minutes recording limit in 4K is quite unreasonable.
I don't.

Twenty *seconds* is a long scene in any video production.

Even GoPros write 4Gb files to the card. You can't assume that the card in the camera is FAT32 or EXFAT. Or that it won't need to be copied to an FAT32 drive or memory stick afterwards. It's all about maximising compatibility for people.

For cameras relying on an external HDMI recorder it's a different game.

Last edited by clackers; 04-26-2021 at 04:29 PM.
04-26-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 was for the waist up shot of each speaker, the GH5 for the head and shoulders, one Go Pro captured the room from the front, the other from behind the speaker.

I don't.

Even GoPros write 4Gb files to the card. You can't assume that the card in the camera is FAT32 or EXFAT. Or that it won't need to be copied to an FAT32 drive or memory stick afterwards. It's all about maximising compatibility for people.

That's a pretty clear explanation Clackers. I'm not a video guy, but I do watch TV. Makes total sense.
04-26-2021, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't.

That's a pretty clear explanation Clackers. Makes total sense.

I'm not a video guy, but I do watch TV. I get the reasoning for different cameras.