Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Oh, and while we are discussing the K-3iii video shortcomings, I see from the available EU manual (English) that there is no 25p or 50p frame rate setting for anything. Nobody in the UK or much of Europe will be buying this camera for its video - which seems to be a "we don't really care" afterthought by Ricoh.
In your postprocessing, why wouldn't you output at 25p or 50p if that's what you really wanted, Dave?

I mean, that's how you'd issue some footage you shot as both PAL and NTSC.

Last edited by clackers; 05-17-2021 at 09:01 PM.
05-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It actually has improved with 50p which is miles better than 50i, but it is FHD, not just 4 K.
05-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It actually has improved with 50p which is miles better than 50i, but it is FHD, not just 4 K.
Does it have that? The online manuals including from the EU site specify 60/30/24p for FHD - no 50 or 25 p or i. Does anyone have a UK or EU version of the camera (if regional variations exist) who could confirm?
05-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Does it have that? The online manuals including from the EU site specify 60/30/24p for FHD - no 50 or 25 p or i. Does anyone have a UK or EU version of the camera (if regional variations exist) who could confirm?
It does not. I did mention it later comment, but did not correct earlier ones. As it seems. Also 50p has been dropped off. I’v seen mention of 50i and 60i being upgraded to 50p and 60p(and being happy about that). But this was in some info before launch. I based my assumption on that.

Edit: by tomorrow I’ll be trying it out my self too.

05-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Well, for Pentax it seems to be about more than that. Many manufacturers limited their cameras to 29 minutes and 59 seconds to comply with EU rules and avoid the tax.
I can't really figure out where 25 minutes came from. Maybe the Pentax lawyers are more conservative than Canon, Nikon and Sony, and decided to play it "safe" and cut that down to 25.
Of course now in 4K mode with the 4GB limit it's just 7.5 minutes ...
One further thought on this, is that they may be taking the conservative approach, and allowing for customers who may use an SD-HC card instead of SD-XC - it's a lowest common denominator approach.

GH5 does 400 Mbps in ALL-I. And no recording time limit.
Really! I recall seeing articles quoting the lower number, but it would not surprise me if Panasonic adapts rate to better cards, or have raised the rate in firmware updates.

I played that game with multiple cameras a little bit, but it was really hard to grade the mismatched colors. I'm certainly not the most gifted video editor. 8bpc video on all my video cameras doesn't help for grading.
The footage I get from my GX85 at 100 Mbps in H.264 for 4K30 is mostly satisfactory when I use it as as single camera. I suspect the K-3 III 4K30 at 80 Mbps won't look much worse.
Not clear yet if the sensor area is bigger or not on the K-3 III since it has a crop. If it's the same area as 4K with MFT sensor, it may not actually collect more light.
Try doing it with a mix of HikVision security cameras, and Canon and Sony Camcorders,... That's my Wednesday nights at the moment.

Well, the camera would have to do the A/D conversion at 10 bits before it could output 10 bits via HDMI. Not clear if it does on the K-3 III. Is the HDMI output even clean ? And is it 1.x or 2.x ?
We'll need to look at the bits per pixel for stills to know, but even if it's 14 or 16 bits per pixel for stills, some are likely to be thrown away for the conversion to video, this comes down to the amount of processing power is available - 4K video is effectively 24, 25, or 30 3840x2160 Stills per second burst, until you press Stop... A lot of cameras throw away a lot of pixel data to 'get close enough' to what they can process.

---------- Post added 22-05-21 at 01:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Um, not completely out of the question, PDR, but by the look of it, it's a recording for an RMIT show, right? A stills photographer popping in and out of the frame to get shots would be unwelcome. If I was the director, I'd eject me from the space!
I'm the Tech Director and bring all the gear in,.... It'll be fine.

The recordings are being called "The Tune Up", done by the motorsport show "In Pit Lane".
(yeah, motorsport news show, that has had live music featured as part of the show, going back to the mid '90's)

RMITV is the association the TV show is done under, giving real world training to students, by association and industry alumni, with the show airing on C31 Melbourne, and the In Pit Lane youtube channel.

---------- Post added 22-05-21 at 02:01 AM ----------

Oh, and while we are discussing the K-3iii video shortcomings, I see from the available EU manual (English) that there is no 25p or 50p frame rate setting for anything. Nobody in the UK or much of Europe will be buying this camera for its video - which seems to be a "we don't really care" afterthought by Ricoh. On the margin, this will be a deal breaker if not added in say firmware, for me and some others anyway. My previous Pentax DSLRs all have this option, and I have used them all occasionally for 25p or 50i video.

Sometimes it's the little things that matter, even in expensive semi-pro technology.
That's gonna kill it here in Oz too - ALL cameras should do 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 as MINIMUM.
05-21-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
One further thought on this, is that they may be taking the conservative approach, and allowing for customers who may use an SD-HC card instead of SD-XC - it's a lowest common denominator approach.
Well, it's not a very sensible solution. The camera could split files every 4 GB on SDHC/FAT32 cards, like most camcorders used to do. And record into a single file for SDXC/exFAT cards.

QuoteQuote:
Really! I recall seeing articles quoting the lower number, but it would not surprise me if Panasonic adapts rate to better cards, or have raised the rate in firmware updates.
Yes, I believe it came in a firmware update, and it does require a very fast card to achieve 400 Mbps, at least V60 if not V90.

Panasonic's GH5 can now shoot widescreen 6K video | Engadget

Sadly the 400 Mbps rate is only for 4K 30 10-bit. For 4K 60 the limit is 8-bit at 150 Mbps. 4K 60 10-bit requires an external recorder.
Supposedly, Panasonic will announce a new GH camera next week. I hope it will allow recording 4K 60 10 bit internally, but so far the leaks don't suggest that.
05-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Supposedly, Panasonic will announce a new GH camera next week. I hope it will allow recording 4K 60 10 bit internally, but so far the leaks don't suggest that.
The GH5 Mark II was announced today. It does record 4K 60 10 bit internally, in 4:2:0 though. It'll record 4K 30 10 bit 4:2:2 internally. Didn't see the bit rate listed for each mode. I guess we'll have to wait for real reviews. The many that are online right now don't go into enough detail. The MSRP went down to $1699, from $1999 for the original GH5. Seems like it's everything the K-3 III isn't, in terms of video.

05-25-2021, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

I don’t have to wait anything. I do already have K-3III.

Video is what it is. Good enough.

Images I’m getting out of it are amazing! As well as I’m very happy with AF.
05-29-2021, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I believe it's based on the when you hit 4gb's of data. It was one of my office vlogs, so it was fairly dark, iso 3200 and the scenery didn't change too much. I'm guessing less data per frame/scene.

It was this video, it breaks at 9:14 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVanVPl8Cbo
Replying to Qwntm cool to see you here on the forum, after seeing you on YouTube first! But more to the point, is nice to see what my new camera can do when the PLM lens comes.