Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Does the K3III have clean HDMI out?

I'm primarily a photo shooter, but I occasionally record concerts where I need over an hour recording time without breaks.

Does anyone know if the K3III has clean HDMI out for external recording? I assume the time limits for in camera recording are still 25 or 30 minutes...

04-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you mean by "clean HDMI" ? You'll probably need to be a lot more specific.
04-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
Does anyone know if the K3III has clean HDMI out for external recording? I assume the time limits for in camera recording are still 25 or 30 minutes...
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What do you mean by "clean HDMI" ?
I assume that "clean" is full resolution, not the resolution of the rear LCD, and in an uncompressed format unlike the video files stored on the memory card. AFAIK, the time limit is related to a 4GB limit on video files mandated by the EU for copyright protection or something silly like that. Maybe so you can't point your camera at a screen and make unauthorized copies of movies?
04-25-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I assume that "clean" is full resolution, not the resolution of the rear LCD, and in an uncompressed format unlike the video files stored on the memory card. AFAIK, the time limit is related to a 4GB limit on video files mandated by the EU for copyright protection or something silly like that. Maybe so you can't point your camera at a screen and make unauthorized copies of movies?
The 4GB limit was because of the file size limit on FAT32. That's why cameras use exFAT now...The time limit is because of tax regulations in the EU. Video cameras had a 5-12% tax, the time limit kept DSLRs from being considered video cameras.

04-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 4GB limit was because of the file size limit on FAT32. That's why cameras use exFAT now...The time limit is because of tax regulations in the EU. Video cameras had a 5-12% tax, the time limit kept DSLRs from being considered video cameras.
Seriously? I suppose we should not be surprised if the blame it on the taxman.
04-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know the history of the file size limit (I believe the relevant tax regulation is no longer in place) and I understand the limits are probably still in place for in camera recording.

Clean HDMI out means being able to remove all overlays (battery indicator, numerals, digits, levels, etc) from the hdmi output when the camera is NOT recording, so one can record on an external device (like an Atomos recorder). It would not necessarily be at the full resolution & framerate the camera is capable of recording internally.
04-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What do you mean by "clean HDMI" ? You'll probably need to be a lot more specific.
Clean HDMI means just the video image without any graphical overlays like interface, settings, battery symbol etc

edit: Canid was a little bit quicker :-D

Last edited by Bromberger; 04-26-2021 at 03:02 AM.
04-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I know the history of the file size limit (I believe the relevant tax regulation is no longer in place) and I understand the limits are probably still in place for in camera recording.

Clean HDMI out means being able to remove all overlays (battery indicator, numerals, digits, levels, etc) from the hdmi output when the camera is NOT recording, so one can record on an external device (like an Atomos recorder). It would not necessarily be at the full resolution & framerate the camera is capable of recording internally.
It's really sad the 4GB limit is still in place on the K3 III. exFAT file system allows for 128 PB file size, practically unlimited with SDXC cards which are limited to 2TB. Pentax cameras have supported SDXC cards for years, probably over a decade.

Other camera manufacturers have no such limit. My Lumix GX85 can record files for hours that are hundreds of GB (on an AC adapter, not battery) on my 512GB SD card. 4K/30 at 100 Mbps. So can my Note 20 Ultra - 8K/30 at 75 Mbps or 4K/60 at 50 Mbps, no file size or time limit on its 512GB microSD card.
Somehow, they have figured out how to make region-specific models or firmware updates. Or just agreed to pay the tax for the EU market. So could Pentax. On a $2K camera, it really stings for the camera to be castrated that way.
04-27-2021, 02:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well K-1 can give to you this when it is NOT recording(not using AF). And based on what we have seen from couple videos, with K-3III you can have AF with touch with out any 'confirm' box on the screen. So this is actually looking better and better as we speak.
04-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, the K1 has clean HDMI out... but does the K3iii, that's the question.
04-29-2021, 02:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, the K1 has clean HDMI out... but does the K3iii, that's the question.
NO....the K3III can get mostly clean HDMI but the audio meters stay there on the sides, along with a battery indicator no matter what the Info settings is.
04-29-2021, 04:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
NO....the K3III can get mostly clean HDMI but the audio meters stay there on the sides, along with a battery indicator no matter what the Info settings is.
Have you gone through menu and switch off also LV showings. This is quite different from K-1. Is it when you hit the rec, or before anything happens?
04-29-2021, 05:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve never used HDMI on any of my cameras, might check it out…

JJ
04-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
That's disappointing. Thank you for the answer.
04-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’ve never used HDMI on any of my cameras, might check it out…

JJ
It’s not just for video. I use a small (7 inch) battery operated HDMI monitor when doing macro shots on a focus rail on both my K1 and K3.