Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-3 III vs K-P?? My K-S2 just died :(

I know it's early days but my K-S2 has succumbed to aperture block failure and while I'm REALLY upset at Pentax, I can't help but drool over the K-3 III.

Is the K-3 III worth the extra beans and at the expense of the flip screen? I've found the flip screen occasionally useful on the K-S2 when framing family portraits in tight quarters or when trying take a pic above a crowd (I'm not that tall unfortunately LOL)

I'm a casual user mostly for kid chasing / shooting casual occasions etc. I mainly care about high ISO performance & Auto-Focus.

Any early indications how many extra stops K-3 III might have over the K-P at similar image quality? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

04-25-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mx23 Quote
I know it's early days but my K-S2 has succumbed to aperture block failure and while I'm REALLY upset at Pentax, I can't help but drool over the K-3 III.

Is the K-3 III worth the extra beans and at the expense of the flip screen? I've found the flip screen occasionally useful on the K-S2 when framing family portraits in tight quarters or when trying take a pic above a crowd (I'm not that tall unfortunately LOL)

I'm a casual user mostly for kid chasing / shooting casual occasions etc. I mainly care about high ISO performance & Auto-Focus.

Any early indications how many extra stops K-3 III might have over the K-P at similar image quality? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!
The repair of ABF on the K-S2 is a pretty easy DIY job...costing $45 for the white solenoid and a fine point soldering gun, some flux solder and a JIS screw drivers set ..well under $100 in all. I repaired my K-70 and it was pretty easy. Just read up on the procedure and watch any videos out there. So...I'd fix the K-S2 and keep my flip screen option...and buy the K3iii. With another $2000 stimulus check coming I'm thinking hard about getting one. Either that or a Hasselblad....

04-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #3

I repaired my k-50 as well. It works like before.

I got myself a used KP, but if your chasing children a faster autofokus is always nice to have
If Iam chasing my son my KP does a good job but if Iam honest i can't see an af difference to my k-50.(well he was slower when I used the K-50 :P )
I did not test them against each other! It just feels like it but i guess it is like an ssd update you notice the BIG difference if your using an hdd again.

Last edited by NoobOnTour; 04-25-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: correction
04-25-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help but drool over the K-3 III.
Now, are you looking for real pro&cons or are you looking for support for buying a K-3 III?

I see three options:
- As has been mentioned, fix the K-S2. Sensible, the least expensive, but boring, right?
- Get a KP. The middle ground. A good step up from the K-S2 and the obvious sensible choice if you can't/won't fix the K-S2. Bonus: It uses the same battery as the K-S2. An extra battery is never wrong.
- Get the K-3 III. Better AF, better high ISO performance, a gazillion fps - but it's the most expensive option. It's also slightly bigger and heavier than the KP (and, of course, the K-S2). And it uses a different battery. And it lacks a flippy screen. But it's not boring

In short, the K-3 III has quite a few points against it, as I see it. BUT! If a K-3 III is really what you want, well, that's what you should get. Really. It's a beast of a camera. For me it made little sense to get a K-1, but I did and I haven't regretted the decision for a second.

04-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Now, are you looking for real pro&cons or are you looking for support for buying a K-3 III?

I see three options:
- As has been mentioned, fix the K-S2. Sensible, the least expensive, but boring, right?
- Get a KP. The middle ground. A good step up from the K-S2 and the obvious sensible choice if you can't/won't fix the K-S2. Bonus: It uses the same battery as the K-S2. An extra battery is never wrong.
- Get the K-3 III. Better AF, better high ISO performance, a gazillion fps - but it's the most expensive option. It's also slightly bigger and heavier than the KP (and, of course, the K-S2). And it uses a different battery. And it lacks a flippy screen. But it's not boring

In short, the K-3 III has quite a few points against it, as I see it. BUT! If a K-3 III is really what you want, well, that's what you should get. Really. It's a beast of a camera. For me it made little sense to get a K-1, but I did and I haven't regretted the decision for a second.
Thats a great summary!
nothing to add there
04-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
. . . It's also slightly bigger and heavier than the KP (and, of course, the K-S2). . . . .
K 3 III vs. KP
Compare camera dimensions side by side

K 3 III vs. K S2

KP vs. K S2

04-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Love the insights guys! Haha I guess I am looking for support to go shopping :P

What if you could chose say between KP + new PLM 16-50 vs K-3 III? Thinking it should end up pretty close in price but I wonder what would actually take better pics / result in a higher keep rate. (I have a Tamron 17-50 but it keeps missing AF on what would have been great shots at the end of the zoom range - it's fine on contrast AF though.)

Good point about the K-3 III weight / size. I'm still amazed I'm able to cram a K-S2 + 18-135 + a small prime in a reaaally small camera bag - not sure that's possible with the K3
04-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's worth noting that the new 16-50 should work fine on your K-S2 since it is almost certainly going to have a KAF4 mount with an electronically controlled aperture. The body should continue to function properly for any KAF4 lens or any lens where you planned to use the aperture ring (unfortunately rules out most DA/DFA lenses and it's a functional downgrade for A/FA lenses where you'd previously just leave them on "A").

04-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
I repaired my k-50 as well. It works like before.

I got myself a used KP, but if your chasing children a faster autofokus is always nice to have
If Iam chasing my son my KP does a good job but if Iam honest i can't see an af difference to my k-50.(well he was slower when I used the K-50 :P )
I did not test them against each other! It just feels like it but i guess it is like an ssd update you notice the BIG difference if your using an hdd again.
When I was using K-30 I kind of remember AF (C) was not worth the upgrade to anything until KP.
04-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the insights guys! Haha I guess I am looking for support to go shopping :P

QuoteQuote:
What if you could chose say between KP + new PLM 16-50 vs K-3 III? Thinking it should end up pretty close in price but I wonder what would actually take better pics / result in a higher keep rate. (I have a Tamron 17-50 but it keeps missing AF on what would have been great shots at the end of the zoom range - it's fine on contrast AF though.)
Hah, tough question. The KP has better continuous AF than the K-S2, but in all probability not as good as the K-3 III. But then the PLM is probably more precise - and certainly quicker - to focus than screw drive lenses. We'll have to wait for some good reviews for this one, I think.

QuoteQuote:
Good point about the K-3 III weight / size. I'm still amazed I'm able to cram a K-S2 + 18-135 + a small prime in a reaaally small camera bag - not sure that's possible with the K3
The K-3 III isn't much bigger than the KP, but it is heavier. OTOH, the KP isn't much heavier than the K-S2, but it is bigger.

I know, very helpful

If you haven't already, you can compare the specs of the three here:
Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

If you plan on doing any action shots the KP cannot keep up. I bought one in 2017 and quickly regretted it and had to revert back to my K3 simply because it has a much deeper buffer. Rocks, trees, turtles, and snails for the KP. Anything else needing multiple shots in a row needs the K3 series.