Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Using Aperture Ring Focal Length ƒ value settings

The K-3 III manual doesn't have very clear explanations for the new features involving these settings.

Like when setting focal length at startup for a non A lens. Is it now possible to assign values to particular lenses to use later at start up?

How about A series manual lenses does the K-3 III recognize the focal length automatically without user input any more? Setting focal length is a cumbersome thing when you forget at startup having to go through menus. Changing focal length should at least be an option in the Quick Info Menu screen. In the present state the fastest way to assign focal length once the camera is on is just turning it back off then on again.

How exactly does the ƒ stop value setting work? Looks to be as simple as finally having access to use the dials to set an aperture value. Lot easier than having pad and pencil to jot everything down. This was a long time in coming. Let's hope a firmware update brings this to some older Pentax models.

04-25-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Popped the M 28/2.8 on there just now to give some information. There's no data contacts on older lenses, so the camera can't remember them in any way. However, when it prompts you to enter a focal length you can now press the info button for a list of focal lengths you have used before. (Mine came prepopulated with common focal lengths. I haven't looked to see if I can pare that down.)

If you put the focal length "widget" on your info button screen, you can indeed change the focal length by selecting from that same prepopulated list I mentioned earlier. Convenient both for zooms (does anyone really use old zooms?) as well as for when you swap lenses and accidentally don't change the focal length. (The prompting for focal length on startup is an option. Some might prefer to disable it and just select the focal length from the info screen.)

In terms of recording aperture info, you now can use the aperture e-dial in Av mode and TAv mode to dial in an aperture from f/1.0 to f/64 in whole stop increments. The information is recorded in the EXIF. Pressing the shutter stops the lens down, meters for ISO/shutter speed, and then fires.
04-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not seeing any aperture values when in av or tav mode with an m model lens. Metering does take in to account the setting on the aperture ring on the lens. Is there another setting other than the usual ‘use aperture ring...’ =on?
04-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I’m not seeing any aperture values when in av or tav mode with an m model lens. Metering does take in to account the setting on the aperture ring on the lens. Is there another setting other than the usual ‘use aperture ring...’ =on?
The setting below Using aperture ring is "Aperture Info Record". Turn that on and you will be able to scroll the aperture e-dial in Av and TAv modes.

04-25-2021, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The setting below Using aperture ring is "Aperture Info Record". Turn that on and you will be able to scroll the aperture e-dial in Av and TAv modes.
That did it, thank you.
04-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be nice if this metering ability could be added to the K1 via firmware, but I’m not expecting it.
04-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Popped the M 28/2.8 on there just now to give some information. There's no data contacts on older lenses, so the camera can't remember them in any way. However, when it prompts you to enter a focal length you can now press the info button for a list of focal lengths you have used before. (Mine came prepopulated with common focal lengths. I haven't looked to see if I can pare that down.)

If you put the focal length "widget" on your info button screen, you can indeed change the focal length by selecting from that same prepopulated list I mentioned earlier. Convenient both for zooms (does anyone really use old zooms?) as well as for when you swap lenses and accidentally don't change the focal length. (The prompting for focal length on startup is an option. Some might prefer to disable it and just select the focal length from the info screen.)

In terms of recording aperture info, you now can use the aperture e-dial in Av mode and TAv mode to dial in an aperture from f/1.0 to f/64 in whole stop increments. The information is recorded in the EXIF. Pressing the shutter stops the lens down, meters for ISO/shutter speed, and then fires.
To clarify it sounds like setting focal length is basically the same step at start up using pre A lenses. Good news they added a focal length widget in the info button screen. Is this the first implementation of this or does the KP have such a widget? The A-series manual lenses do have contacts but have always needed focal length input.

Can you dial in Aperture value using M mode?

Thanks mtkeller.
04-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
To clarify it sounds like setting focal length is basically the same step at start up using pre A lenses. Good news they added a focal length widget in the info button screen. Is this the first implementation of this or does the KP have such a widget? The A-series manual lenses do have contacts but have always needed focal length input.

Can you dial in Aperture value using M mode?

Thanks mtkeller.
The focal length input is now a bit nicer, as it gives you four digits and you can enter whatever you want, rather than having to select from a limited list. They also give you a list and it sounds like things you have manually entered will be added to it. I can only speak for the K-70, but it has a focal length widget one can put on the info screen, and I have just discovered that one can use it to change the focal length.

I can confirm that in M and B modes, you can record aperture information by cranking the aperture e-dial. The green button for stop-down metering in M mode also continues to work.

I'm too lazy to run downstairs right now to grab an A-series manual lens, but I would be surprised if Pentax suddenly found a way to obtain the focal length from them when they hadn't been able to do so before.

04-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
It would be nice if this metering ability could be added to the K1 via firmware, but I’m not expecting it.
Start saving for that K-1 III, Mlt!